• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Hrothgar

First Post
Dirigible said:
Jon Rane
"And we have no interest in your treasures, old man." Jon Rane grins a little broader.

The old man called Fallax lets out a loud "Hrrumph!" before turning again to inspect his artifacts. That's because your ignorance is matched only by your dim wit, Erenlander. Heh. Most fools such as yourself would pass this by as rubble. Fallax kneels before the cracked remains of a fluted column and slowly caresses a weathered, engraven image of a stylized tree. His voice drifts dreamily and gaze becomes unfocused. If they only knew...

Turning with a scowl, Fallax stops abruptly, staring at the stone in Kaela's hand while rubbing his long, white beard. Where did you get that stone, woman?

Krug

Newshound
Starhl maintains his grip on his sword, but watches the newcomers cautiously. Every man who aids us is good. One more to fight the shadow, even if his bones are creaking.

Valurel moves between Kaela and Fallax, a low growl issuing forth from deep in his throat. He doesn't like the way the old man is looking at the stone that Kaela is carrying. "Maybe rude old man needs to learn some manners," Valurel hisses coldly. "Who are you and what is all of this," he growls, dropping into a crouch, pointing with one sharp claw at the collection of stuff near the cave mouth.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Turning with a scowl, Fallax stops abruptly, staring at the stone in Kaela's hand while rubbing his long, white beard. Where did you get that stone, woman?

Kaela waits, tucking the stone in her pocket. She lets Valurel step up before replying. "I will answer no questions of yours until answers are given." Her voice is defiant. "What reason have we to trust you, and who is this other person?"

elapse

First Post
Q&A

Reznik
Reznik stands quietly as his companions banter back and forth with the old man. He retains his weapons in hand in case the stranger becomes unfriendly.

Hrothgar

First Post
Bobitron said:
"What reason have we to trust you, and who is this other person?"

The old man sneers and nods at Morn Sigil. Who is he? A fiend. A demon from the jungles in the far south sent to drive me mad with his whisperings. I call him the Whisperer. Be careful of him, I would if I were you, lest he squat on your chest deep in the night blasting your sanity and spirit with the black speech of the Shadow.

Fallax raises his left arm slightly at Valurel's harsh words and sharp claws. His gaze sweeps the Heroes. As for me, I am Fallax, former scholar of Highwall. My passion and curiousity has brought me here to this place of power. Now, will you tell me where you retreived that stone? And why did it glow with such luminescence? Fallax licks his dirty lips, but his fearful eyes shift to Valurel for an instant before returning to look at Kaela. Your stone has markings similar to these ancient Elthedar artifacts. Tell me where you retreived the stone and why you are here and I will tell you what you want to know. Fallen under the Shadow are we and I don't believe things happen by chance.

Valurel stays between Fallax and Kaela in a crouch, ready to spring on the old man if he so much as twitches the wrong way. If he knows magic of some sort, he could be more dangerous than he looks. He isn't willing to risk Kaela's life or the lives of his companions on faith in a stranger's good intentions. He remains silent, waiting to see if Kaela intends to answer the old man's question about where she acquired the stone.

Hrothgar

First Post
Fallax runs a skeletal hand across his face, raking the long white hair out of his face.As well you should, woodsman. I am not the enemy here. But, I think we both have something that the other wants. Will you divulge where you are from and the secret of the stone?

Valurel still poised between Kaela and Fallax, casts a glance at Starhl. "Trust must be earned," he says simply and turns his attention back to the old man. He remains ready for any treachery, conditioned by years of hardship, pain and sorrow. Trust no longer comes easily to him. Oddly he trusts his newfound companions, mainly because theyve been thrust into a situation together against their will and beyond their control. These two newcomers are still a mystery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads