• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight Crown of Shadow.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Picked up Midnight and the Crown of Shadow campaign. I'm very impressed with the style and feel of the game, but Crown of Shadow has for me got it's nose all over the place. (Well, it does try to be all over the world and all. but..) I don't know. I like the adventure, and I like it's feel, sort of.

Has anyone bought/played it? How did it go? Any advice/suggestions? I'd like to know if you fit the small adventure in the back of the book in in any way. (I certainly think it's possible.) and how you did it.

Thanks!

Armistice

First Post
Mark, you may want to check out this site Against the Shadow it is the Ennie nominated fan site dedicated to the Midnight campaign world. I ran Crown of Shadow almost 2 years ago and my impression was C+ or B-. The problem I had with it was the sheer scope of it and reconciling that with the campaign world. My poor low level players had to cross the continent and conceptually it wasn't a good fit (especially when you realize how big Eredane is from coast to coast).

If I were to do it over again, I'd most likely base the entire adventure in and around the Kaladrun mountains, that way it is easier to incorporate a dwarf player. Any elf can be attached to the npc elves at the beginning of the module. I know the Crown of Shadows is supposed to showcase the length and breath of Eredane but I think it would have been better to shrink that concept a bit.

Also, I tossed the final act out the window. It didn't work for me at all.

Check out the site above (you don't have to register unless you want to post). I believe they also have errata posted.

Good luck and welcome to Midnight.

Last edited:

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Thanks for the post, Armistice! I've already been around the site briefly, but lost it somewhere.

On your grading of the adventure, I'd have to agree. I think it might be best if it involved a number of other adventures inside it perhaps, and went a little longer.

I'll have to think about it. But thanks for the intelligent and helpful post!

Remove ads