Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Taka nods, "Sounds exciting, and in addition, it is necessary. Count me in, of course. I look forward to another excursion."

Taka intends to borrow an axe from one of the Orngaddrin, and cut down a small tree before heading out; knowing that sharp objects skip off of the armored carapace of giant insects, he wants to make a heavy club with which to smash them. If any of the Orngaddrin already have a suitable club, he will ask about either borrowing it, or perhaps trading for it.
Tehn rolls his eyes, shrugs his shoulders, and mumbles in Amiradthan. By the tone and the expression on his face, it is obvious that he is being sarcastic. "Oh, da. zakhvatyvayushche."

The miners look at Taka, sidelong, at their lack of understanding for the motivation of such a strange request. Axes are rather limited in town. Once it is understood why Taka wants one, one of the Maldrog takes a long handle from a miner's pick and offers it to him. "Gut zum schnappen, Ja!?" he offers in Maldrog.
OOC: Wooden Club: arm length, hinder 40, damage 5
NOTE:
Feel free to add leather knee boots to each character.
Knee Boots: coverage 20%, hinder 4, deflect 4, soak 1

Coldtree nods to Gebbrik. "I guess we're the exterminators for now. We'll deal with the ants." He will look into what poisons the community might have, and procure some to use on the bugs.
Gebbrik wrinkles his brow. "I do not known this word 'exterminator,' but thank you for seeing to this problem."

When Coldtree lets Taka and Tehn know that he is looking for something to possibly poison the ants, Tehn suggests that they first look into the storehouse to see what is being eaten. A hole has been bored under the wall of the building, large enough to allow Taka to pass his fist through. Inside, it appears that the ants are specifically selecting the corn.

Tehn makes a gesture of quiet, closes the door to the building, then takes a handful of corn in each hand, offering them toward the other two men. "Which handful would you like to eat?"

Being themselves sensitive to the manipulation of Way Lines, both men instinctively select the right hand, knowing something is wrong with the grain in his left, even though they were both removed from the same sack. "Being a cook, I have had some time to test the possibilities with this particular talent. What I did is the reverse manipulation of how I removed the skunk stench from us. It works on anything other than water, but I am not strong enough to make it deadly. If you were to eat this, you would fall asleep. I have done this to Dregg several times since he is such... was such an obnoxious drunk. It should work the same on the ants. We should take some of the corn with us and make it toxic once we find the bed."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka smiles broadly, and replies, in Orngaddrin: "Ja, dit is perfect voor het inslaan van grote bugs!"

OOC: Yes, this is perfect for smashing big bugs!

Taka laughs, as he takes the handle that the Maldrog offered.

Taka adds, "What did you want in trade for it?"

Kwargrow

Adventurer
I do not known this word 'exterminator,'
coldtree.jpg
It's Coldtree's turn to roll his eyes. "It means we handle pest control. Let me try again, yes, we smash bugs good."

Later at the storehouse with Tehn and Taka, hereby to be addressed as T&T, Coldtree will take a handful of corn and practices making it toxic. "If this succeeds in putting the ants to sleep, then that will make this much easier."
He will try to replicate what they did at the meat storage, filling in the ant hole with stones and fortifying the entire base where it needs it.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Taka laughs, as he takes the handle that the Maldrog offered. Taka adds, "What did you want in trade for it?"
The miner shoos him off. The expression on his face conveys that he considered the question to be silly. "We have plenty of tools. It is not personally mine."
Coldtree will take a handful of corn and practices making it toxic. "If this succeeds in putting the ants to sleep, then that will make this much easier."
He will try to replicate what they did at the meat storage, filling in the ant hole with stones and fortifying the entire base where it needs it.
Coldtree shows even more talent for manipulating the toxicity of the grain than Tehn did.

It seems obvious that the ants actually dug out their access hole. It is a simple matter to block it. Taking the exact same path every time, a narrow beaten line has formed from the storehouse to the wilds. It is almost the size of a trail left by a fowler, giving an indication of the size of the ants.

Ants being diurnal instead of nocturnal, the three hope to have an easier time of eliminating them as a problem. The men cannot exactly follow the tiny trail, but it is easy enough to locate even after having to take a detour. Maybe only 50 paces from town, three burnt orange colored ants are seen walking the bath, at a pace apart, back toward the storehouse. The ants are intent on their path and have not yet noticed the men. The ants are close, though. It will only take them about 4 seconds to close the distance.

Tehn cocks his head to the left and snorts. "At least we know we are on the right path, but I do not think we will be baiting these three. Taka looks like it is time for that stick."
DD012F3F-1BD0-4843-AE66-02217050AE37.jpeg

OOC: Provide at least 2 random rolls and state immediate intention.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka will stand still, and attempt to stay out of sight; when the ants pass him, he will attack the closest one.

First roll: 84, Second roll: (99+69) = 168

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Coldtree intends to stand in the path the ants will take and waits for them to draw near. When they are close enough he will touch attack with Way to toxify the ants, attempting to poison them as he did with the corn.
51, 100(+21)

MacConnell

Taka will stand still, and attempt to stay out of sight; when the ants pass him, he will attack the closest one.
Taka: 12(stealth) / 2(size) = 6 + 84(d100) = 90
Ant: 12(observation) x 2(chemoreception) = 24 + 79 = 103
Coldtree intends to stand in the path the ants will take and waits for them to draw near. When they are close enough he will touch attack with Way to toxify the ants, attempting to poison them as he did with the corn.
100(+21)
Noticing that there are three ants, Tehn moves to the opposite side of the trail as Taka's hiding position, hoping to close on the last ant in line and kick it while manipulating mechanical waylines to thump it with a high frequency sound.
OOC: No Surprise

As it passes parallel to Taka, the first ant lifts its head from sniffing its path and turns it to look directly at the big man, ignores him, looks up the path at Coldtree, and charges forward. The second ant looks up at the same time as the first and diverts from the path to run at Taka. The third ant moves to face Tehn as he runs in at it.
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Taka: 16 + 12 + 15 + 84 = 127
Coldtree: 14 + 15 + 17 + 51 = 97
Tehn: 14 + 16 + 14 + 72 = 116
Ants: 21 + 12 + 0 + 78 = 101
Hindrance - Reaction
Taka: 16(clothing) - 14(strength) + 200(movement/club) - 127 = 75
Ant2: 200(movement) - 101 = 99
Coldtree: 12(clothing) -12(strength) + 100(manipulation) - 97 = 3
Ant1: 99
Tehn: 16(clothing) -13(strength) + 200(movement) - 116 = 87
Ant3: 99
Aggression + Accuracy + Fury + d100
Taka: 18 + 12 + 14 + 99 + 69(luck) = 212
Tehn: 15 + 17 + 14 + 89 = 127
Ants: 21 + 12 + 0 + 78 = 103

Finesse + Accuracy + Clarity + d100
Coldtree: 14 + 15 + 17 + 100 + 21(luck) = 167
Readiness + Avoidance + Analysis + d100
Ant2: 21 + 12 + 0 + 78 = 103
damage: 212 - 103 = 109 * 5 = 5 - 2(chitin) = 3
Mind: 2 - 3 = -1, unconscious
Body: 1 - 1 = 0, dead
Ant1: irrelevant
Ant3: 103
damage: 127 - 103 = 24% * 3 = 1 - 2(chitin), ineffective
Bending + ?? + d100
Coldtree: 18 + 17(toxicity) + 121 = 156
Tehn: 20 + 14 + 89 = 123
Ant1: 21(conditioning) + 78(d100) = 99
damage: 156 - 99 = 57% * 10 = 6
Mind: 2 - 6 = -4, unconscious
Ant3: 21(conditioning) + 78(d100) = 99
damage: 123 - 99 = 24% * 10 = 2
Mind: 2 - 2 = 0, unconscious
As the ant charges at Taka, the big man swing his newly acquired club before it can reach him. The force of the might blow is just enough to crack open the hard exoskeleton and kill the ant.

As Coldtree waits for the ant to approach him, he whips his hand forward like and adder as he slides his position to his right. Just touching the ant, before it can act, the insect suddenly turns belly up and begins twitching its legs.

Tehn leaps forward onto the ant's path, kicking the insect before it can bite. While the kicks sends the tiny creature away, it causes no damage to it, but the painful sound that only that ant can hear, causes it to shake like it is having a siezure.
OOC: All characters receive 5 DP.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Once the ants are down, Coldtree will take out his portion of the corn. If it is not toxified already, he will toxify it, and then spread it around along the trail towards the ant bed. He does not want to have to face an army of these bugs.
He says, "We shouldn't just thrown the corn down their hole, they might just clear it away as detritus. If we leave it for them to find it they will take it back to their queen to eat."
Once the poison is distributed, Coldtree will go back to the ants and attempt to find any pieces with Way proclivity.

MacConnell

Once the ants are down, Coldtree will take out his portion of the corn. If it is not toxified already, he will toxify it, and then spread it around along the trail towards the ant bed. He does not want to have to face an army of these bugs.
He says, "We shouldn't just thrown the corn down their hole, they might just clear it away as detritus. If we leave it for them to find it they will take it back to their queen to eat."
Tehn takes a rock and bashes his ant, making sure it is dead. He looks down the tiny path from the direction the ants had approached. "That is a good idea, but I do not see any sign of a bed. The path, though, continues on out of sight down the hill."

MacConnell

Once the poison is distributed, Coldtree will go back to the ants and attempt to find any pieces with Way proclivity.
Taka says, "Let's get a little closer to the bed before we spread our corn. Ants collect the nearest resources first."
Tehn carries the remains of his ant back nearer the others. "I do not know much about ants, but most things are lazy if left to their own devices."

Seeing that the three are not as near the ant bed as first suspected, Coldtree holds off on distributing the corn. Since his ant is still twitching, he hits it with a rock until it quits.
Effectiveness: Ecology + Analysis + d100 => 80
Coldtree: 15 + 17 + 01 < 80
Tehn: 19 + 14 + 11 < 80
After picking over the ant remains, neither Coldtree nor Tehn find anything useful about them. Discarding them away from the path, the three men decide to move farther along.

After traveling for a couple of more minutes, the three see what has to be the ant bed. Against the root bole of a large fallen tree, a large pile of rocks has been meticulously structured to make a stable dome. The dome has several bores about the size of Taka's fist. Each hole has a beaten path leading from it.

Careful not to approach too closely for fear of the sound of footfalls traveling through the ground, Coldtree sprinkles the toxic corn along three notable paths. The three men sit back and wait, for there is nothing more to do at this point.

In under an hour, an ant emerges from the front hole and marches along the path, coming to the sprinkled corn. Its antennae flick over the substance, before it collects one and marches back in it hole. Shortly thereafter, other ants exit and collect more corn. In short order, all three piles of corn have been collected by the ants. Based on the timing and number of simultaneously visible ants, it is estimated that six to ten of the insects occupy this nest.
OOC: All characters receive 2 DP. Coldtree receives an extra 2 for the idea.

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Coldtree says, "Ok, so skunks are our nemeses, but we can handle ants and spiders. It's a start."
Since they are far from the mine he will make a search for medicinal plants.

MacConnell

Coldtree says, "Ok, so skunks are our nemeses, but we can handle ants and spiders. It's a start."
Since they are (distant) from (town or any) mine, he will make a search for medicinal plants.
Taka will take some time out to look for raw ores and minerals.
It appears to be late afternoon when no more ants have emerged from the bed for some time. As the other two set themselves to new tasks, Tehn calls out, "Hey! This toxin will only put the ants to sleep. I do not think any of us have the talent, yet, for making it fatal. We really need to tear down this bed and make sure the ants are dead."

Realizing the easy oversight in the face of success, the men halt their new activities to dismantle the ant bed. Seven ants, in total, are discovered, all twitching and kicking like the ones that Tehn and Coldtree had incapacitated earlier. The three decide to take turns with Taka's pick handle in making sure they all stop twitching, making jokes at the expense of the ant's demise.

"I am not satisfied that there is nothing more. mystically, to the ants. I am going to poke around at these remains for a bit."
Effectiveness: Ecology + Clarity + d100
Ecology: Mind + Commercial + Knowledge
Clarity: Essence + Collegiate + Cohesion
Coldtree: 15 + 18 + 78 = 111
Taka: 12 + 17 = 29 + 18 = 47, 29 + 96 + 19 = 144
Looking around the immediate area until it become too dark to do so further, Coldtree discovers some small handfuls of edible nuts, berries, and even mushrooms. He also discovers and entire basketful of edible greens, but nothing medicinal.

Taka gives up very quickly with regard to searching for ore. It is known that the Orngaddrin have, what are called sniffers, who prospect the area for new veins. It is likely that these Mhytres are sensitive to various waylines without being able to manipulate them. He is much more successful with minerals, finding individual stones of slate and flint, a semi-translucent, shiny yellow stone, and a semi-translucent, dark, burgundy stone, but what really piques his joy is the head sized, gray boulder with bright red streaks running through it.
Effectiveness: Ecology + Analysis + d100 => 60 + 20*rarity
Analysis: Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion
Tehn: 19 + 14 + 89 = 122, success
Time: 10 days * rarity / effectiveness <= Will. 10 days / 122 = 1 hour 58 minutes
With the new set of ant remains, Tehn is able to discover that their mandibles, when carried, will enhance the mystical relationship between the life of the being and the blood of that being (Cohesion +1) and that the stingers, when held in hand while manipulating chemical way lines will double the effectiveness with regard to toxicity. (Toxin x2)

As night falls in and a camp is made near the strewn remains of the ant bed, the three satisfy themselves that this was a successful day. In addition to providing some greens for the evening meal, Coldtree also shot a couple of conies.
OOC: All characters receive 2 DP.

Last edited:

MacConnell

After the ants are dead, Taka will gather up the various stones he collected, and check them for proclivities.
Effectiveness: Ecology + Analysis + d100 => 60 + 20*rarity
Ecology: Mind + Commercial + Knowledge
Analysis: Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion
Taka: 12 + 16 + 66 = 95, success
Time: 10 days * rarity / effectiveness <= Will. 10 days / 95 = 2 hours 32 minutes
Not particularly needing to see to analyze the stones, Taka, rolls each around in his hands for a time, while the three eat a meager meal around their small fire. The time necessary to successfully analyze each one, requires him to put some aside and wait until morning.

Slate and flint are both used for the purpose of weaponry by various indigenous nomads. Taka senses that when held in hand by a Bender who is manipulating mechanical waylines with respect to sound, the slate will disintegrate, doubling the effectiveness, and the flint will double the effectiveness of manipulating electromagnetic waylines with respect to shock. The yellow stone, called sunstone, has two uses. When carried by all but an Aberrant Bender it will enhance the effectiveness of the wielder's personality; and when held in hand by Bender who is manipulating mystical waylines with regard to damaging the mind of another, it will double the effectiveness. The burgundy stone, called Heartstone, when carried by all but an Aberrant Bender will enhance the relationship between life and bodily function.

The boulder contains seven individual, red flecked stones, called Bloodstones, that when carried by all but an Aberrant Bender will enhance the overall health of the wielder.

Tehn keeps one pair of ant pinchers, making a necklace from them and some gut string. He also asks for one of the bloodstones.
Animal Parts:
  • Ant Pinchers: 9, (Cohesion +1)
  • Ant Stingers: 10, {Toxin x2}
Stone:
  • Bloodstone: 7, (Health +1)
  • Flint: 1, {Shock x2}
  • Heartstone: 1, (Confluence +1)
  • Slate: 1, {Sound x2}

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka gives a Bloodstone to both Tehn and Coldtree. Taka takes the Heartstone, and also one pair of ant pincers. He also takes a Bloodstone for himself. He will begin to construct an ornate, knotted, leather cord necklace for himself.

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Coldtree takes the Bloodstone and puts it in his pocket. He says, "Perhaps we could sell the stuff we don't need."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Coldtree takes the Bloodstone and puts it in his pocket. He says, "Perhaps we could sell the stuff we don't need."
Tehn agrees with the assessment stated by Coldtree. "We may not be able to pawn off these pinchers, but I will bet that the rest of those red flecked stones will go. I think we should keep the stingers. We may be able to make use of them ourselves, in the coming days."

Camp is broken and cleaned of residue by mid morning, and the three men return to town carrying a few of the broken ant carcasses as evidence of success. Many of the miners are quite surprised at the size of the ants, having never before seen them so close.

Gebbrik is so pleased with the success, that he pays the men an extra 'tenwage', which is 100 shillings each. He nods his head several times as he begins to speak in his voice that sounds like his mouth is full of gravel. "Ten ants total, you say? Destroyed the whole bed? That is great news. I can see that those things would have become an even bigger problem in no time at all."

He pauses for a moment, considering his next words. "In the face of this good news, I have some bad news. One of the other miners grew skeptical of Tamus's story about Dreg. They left for shaft 9 at the same time you went to take care of the spider problem. Neither man has returned. I would suggest caution if you are still willing to look into this. It sounds a touch mystical to me."
Effectiveness: Coercion + Clarity + d100
Coercion: Mind + Commercial + Knowledge + Persona
Clarity: Essence + Collegiate + Cohesion
Taka: 13 + 17 + 50 = 80
Coldtree: 17 + 19 + 50 = 86
Tehn: 21 + 15 + 50 = 86
Not only are the three able to interest others in purchasing the 'bloodstones', but seven of the nine pinchers sell as well. After some negotiation with the buyers, the return averages out to be 7 shillings per item, giving a total of 77.
Coins:
  • Shillings: 377
Animal Parts:
  • Ant Pinchers: 2, (Cohesion +1)
  • Ant Stingers: 10, {Toxin x2}
Stone:
  • Flint: 1, {Shock x2}
  • Slate: 1, {Sound x2}
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. If not fluent, each character improves 1% in Maldrog and Amiradtha.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Coldtree thanks Gebbrik, and says with a serious tone, "I'm still willing to investigate the missing miners, and although I don't speak for my friends, I think they will too. As long as there aren't any skunks waiting for us in the mines, we should be ok."
When he turns back to T&T he puts on a conspirators grin, and says where only they can hear, "Now two miners are missing, which means twice the prestige of solving this problem. We should prepare well for this mission."

Advertisement