Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
OOC: when I saw Birds of Prey the first thing I thought of was that new movie staring Margot Robbie :love:

Coldtree rubs his chin as he thinks. "Birds of Prey? That might have people wondering what we 'prey' upon, but I do like the inspiration. How about 'Mountain Song Adventuring Company'? Grandiose names like that really get peoples attention."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Coldtree: full health
Harnin arrows: 17
Taka: full health
Boots: 20 - 7 = 14
Tehn: full health
Coldtree will search the corpses and the area around where they fell to see if any valuables fell out. An idea strikes him and as he searches he attempts to determine if any of the corpses of the miners and the cat have any parts that show Way proclivity. Anything of personal value to the miners he will set aside to be returned to the families.
Tehn assists Coldtree in perusing the bodies of the miners. A handful or so of loose coins is collected. The men have no adornments or personal items that may have sentimental value to possible family or friends, though Tamus had personalized his pick. The two men separate where the coins are to be carried to remember to whom they belonged.

Perhaps the cat had been dead too long, perhaps it was never of any significance, there seems no way to determine at this point, but what can be determined is that its remains harbor no proclivity for waylines.

Satisfied that they have done what they could, the two men signal Taka to help bring them back up to the path. The rope is then returned to the mine.

... Taka says, "Let's name ourselves in honor of what we did. Let's call ourselves the Birds of Prey."
when I saw Birds of Prey the first thing I thought of was that new movie staring Margot Robbie :love:
GM: Margot Robbie... Mmm!
Coldtree rubs his chin as he thinks. "... How about 'Mountain Song Adventuring Company'? Grandiose names like that really get peoples attention."
Tehn considers the options, offering his opinion. "I am going to side with Coldtree on this one. While Birds of Prey sounds ominous or inspiring, it has the feel of something more mercenary, like an assassin organization. That would inspire the wrong sentiment with Midway."

"I am not sure why you went with the word 'song.' Would you consider 'Mountain Melody Adventuring Company?' I like alliterations. I think it has a certain flow to it.

The men discuss the creation of a company identity as they return to town. Nothing untoward interferes with the return trip. It is evening when they arrive, and most of the miners should be dining, conveniently gathered in the cafe.

Tehn think, ~Ha! I did not have de-feather any birds or cook.~

Coins:
Shillings: 377

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 2, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 7, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Peccary Tusks: 1 pair, ??

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
Flint: 1, {Shock x2}
Slate: 1, {Sound x2}
OOC: Each character receives 2 DP.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka ponders the question; "How about Mountain Breeze or Mountain Wind? Or even Mountain Way? We are not a group of skalds or performers. And to my knowledge, none of us can sing."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
When the party arrives back in town, Taka will make a mental note to make the following suggestion to the camp leader, as soon as possible.
Taka's suggestion: "The birds we encountered seemed not only aware, but actually malevolent. They enjoy killing. Their song is dangerous. I would suggest that all mining parties stuff cotton in their ears when they get near the site, and that all of them carry bows, so as to be able to shoot the pests; they like to sit on an unreachable cliff branch and sing. It's a deadly combination for someone who isn't prepared."

The next morning, Taka plans to visit the village smith, to see what weapons he has available. He is thinking of something longer and heavier than a short sword. Something with some heft to it.

He will also visit the armorer, to see if he has something stronger than the corded hauberk, perhaps a thick leather vestment.

Lastly, he will visit the bowyer. He doesn't often have use for a bow, but he now realizes the importance of having one, for situations such as he faced against the birds.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree shrugs and says to T&T, "I picked the word 'song' because it was on this adventure where we were almost killed by a bird's song, that we decided to make our company permanent. I'm not attached to it, though, all of your suggestions sound fine. Do these mountains have an official name?"
Back in town, Coldtree will invest in some bracers, the best he can afford with his portion of the earnings, and a new pair of boots. He will attempt to use the new notoriety of the group to negotiate a better price for all their goods, enouraging T&T to help.
Going through the inventory, he finds the peccary tusks and attempts to determine way proclivity.
71, 93+63

Last edited:

MacConnell

The party, as yet, comes to no decision with regard to a name for themselves, being able to afford more time to be certain of the chosing.

When the party arrives back in town, Taka will make a mental note to make the following suggestion to (Migdon)...
Having the time to discuss his thoughts on the return trip, Taka decides to keep his own council, instead, upon the suggestion of his friends. It was concluded that if anyone could do the job then the three of them could be replaced. The idea of going back to mining, cooking, and assisting the medic no longer appealed to any of them, respectively.

... Taka plans to visit the village smith, to see what weapons he has available...
The smith, a middle aged Orngaddrin, laughs at the inquiry of a weapon. "This is not a military unit. I make tools; but never fear, I am a skilled craftsman. In addition to hammers and picks, given a day or two, I could make you, from either Ularin or Harnin, a javelin or spear head, a sword, or a fighting axe. This would, of course, have to be at your own expense, not on the mining company."

He will also visit the (hunting lodge), to see if he has something stronger than the corded hauberk, perhaps a thick leather vestment...
The master of the hunt working in coordination with the tanner has several items available in pigskin, sheep, or goat, goat being the best of the three. As it so happens, the master of the hunt is also a bowyer and has several stranded bows with harnin-tipped arrows on hand at standard cost of 320 shillings for the bow.

Back in town, Coldtree will invest in some bracers... boots. He will attempt to... negotiate...
Negotiate + Tranquility + d100
Negotiate: Mind + Commercial + Knowledge + Persona = 17
Tranquility: Essence + Collegiate + Aberrative + Adhesion + Cohesion = 31
17 + 31 + 71 = 119

Skepticism + Clarity + d100 = 40 + 12 + 61 = 113
Coldtree is fitted for goatskin bracers and boots for a total of 118 shillings.
OOC: Bracers: cover 20%: hinder 8: deflect 8: soak 3
Boots: same as above

Going through the inventory, he finds the peccary tusks and attempts to determine (any) proclivity.
Ecology + Analysis + d100 => 60 + 20 x rarity
Ecology: Mind + Commercial + Mercantile + Knowledge = 15
Analysis: Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion = 24
15 + 24 + 93+63 = 195 > 80, success

Analysis Time: 10 days x rarity / sensitivity <= Will (in hours)
10 / 195 = 1 hour, 14 minutes
In considerably shorter time than previous analyses, Coldtree is able to determine that the peccary tusks offer their wielder and enhancement to overall organ function in relation to the entire being (Confluence +1).

With regard to discussing the remains of the fallen miners, it is discovered that Tamus has no family so there is nothing to prevent the confiscation of his coin. Dregg's mother thanks the three profusely but tells the men to keep the coin in return for showing her where the body has fallen and helping her retrieve it for a proper disposal. The brother of the the third man conveys the same request. (The party retains a collected 36 shillings.)

Two days are set aside for the community to retrieve its fallen miners and give the bodies their ceremonial due. The mining company provides two rounds of drinks at the ale house the second evening in honor of the memorials.

Coins:
Shillings: 259

Animal Parts:
Peccary Tusks: 1 pair, (Confluence +1)

Stone:
OOC: Each character receives 2 DP.

NEW PARTY BUSINESS WILL BE INITIATED AFTER FINALIZATION OF TAKA'S REQUESTS. POST ANY OTHER TOWN BUSINESS FOR THE TWO DAYS' FURLOW.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree tells T&T about the proclivity of the peccary tusks and requests them for his own to help with his developing abilities.
He will help with all the body retrieval, never missing an opportunity to point out that it was their group that made it possible. He will tell about the strange birds, and that it required a group effort to make them depart. The way Coldtree tells it, all three of them begged the birds to depart before they finally did, lamenting that they took the lives that they did. (all a fabrication, but Coldtree is attempting to milk this for all it is worth) He speaks to each of the survivor family members, using the details of each to manipulate the others. He manipulates food and gifts from those he can, speaking often of the adventuring group that still needs a name.
Later, to T&T he says, "Let us decide on a name for our group. We are in the Dragon Spine mountains, so how about the Dragon Way Adventure Company, or DWAC for short? We need to establish our name now, my friends."
98(+62)

Last edited:

MacConnell

OOC:
67AC149D-5B32-4F36-A2D0-563CBDBC17B5.jpeg
The scale for this map is 4 paces per square which is approximately 8 yards in American terms. Each contour line also represents the same scale in elevation change. The map is oriented with the top representing North. Boga City is to the west and East Port, obviously, east. The road follows through the gap in the buildings and lies generally east and west, following the contour at the same to descending elevation.

1. Mining Office
2. Supply Warehouse
3. Forge
4. Smith
5. Medic
6. Cafe
H. Company Housing
L. Hunting Lodge
T. Tannery
B. Brothel
A. Ale House

Unmarked buildings are food storage, a smoke house, and individual cabins.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Village Blacksmith said:
The smith, a middle aged Orngaddrin, laughs at the inquiry of a weapon."...This is not a military unit. I make tools; but never fear, I am a skilled craftsman. In addition to hammers and picks, given a day or two, I could make you, from either Ularin or Harnin, a javelin or spear head, a sword, or a fighting axe. This would, of course, have to be at your own expense, not on the mining company."

Taka replies, "I am yet young, and without much money, or much to trade. But I suspect this will soon be remedied. Could you make me a proper sword, one that I could use with two hands, with the promise of future repayment? I could also offer to perform work or errands in return as well. I offer you my word of honor on this matter, I shall not neglect to pay you."

The Huntmaster said:
The master of the hunt, working in coordination with the tanner has several items available in pigskin, sheep, or goat, goat being the best of the three. As it so happens, the master of the hunt is also a bowyer and has several stranded bows with harnin-tipped arrows on hand at standard cost of 320 shillings for the bow.

Taka repeats his tale of woe to the Huntmaster, offering to either pay him at a later time, or to perform work or run errands. Taka says that he would like to get a longbow, with a good range, and a little heft to the draw (set to match his strength.) He would also like 20 harnin-tipped arrows to go with it. Lastly, he would like a goatskin hauberk, to replace his corded one. He will offer his current hauberk in trade, if that will help. (He will also offer his short sword to the blacksmith in trade, in the same manner.)

MacConnell

Coins:
Shillings: 141

Animal Parts:
Peccary Tusks: 1 pair, (Confluence +1)

Stone:

Coldtree...
The actions of the three men who have taken to calling themselves the Dragon Way Adventuring Company are seen in a most benevolent light by the Mhytre residents of the Midway Mining Community. Profuse thanks are given for the opportunity to properly dispose of the bodies. Offers of simple favors, pleasures, and food are made to all three, more especially Coldtree who is taken to be the leader of the group thanks to his smooth talking skill. Taka and Tehn find the tactic humorous and would not even consider spoiling the harmless con, especially since Taka finds coital offers from more than one female.

Taka replies, "I am yet young..."

Taka repeats his tale...
Despite the favorable light in which the men find themselves, when it comes to payment, no credit will suffice, neither is a used garment valued for trade. What cannot be purchased, outright, will have to come at a later date.

At the current juncture, the group decides to purchase the bracers and boots for Coldtree and wait on anything else.

After a few days of The Passing Celebration and the effects of too much drinking have passed, Gebbrik meets with the men. "It is befitting that you have named a company for yourselves. It seems there is no end to misfortune which requires the services of such a group as the Dragon Way Adventuring Company. A ten-wage for normal workers is 100 shillings. I will offer you 120 each as retainer for services."

"I have a very serious matter that I would like to keep private as long as possible. The trade wagon from East Port did not arrive as it should have. While this causes a shortage of rice, I can send to Boga City for more wheat, as it is closer. We just like the variety of staple. My bigger concern is that entertainment was coming with this shipment. Entertainment in the form of women. Obviously this is a highly valued and more perishable commodity than grain. The women are professionals. They usually stay about three days. I would never tolerate any such activity by force. What say you to investigating?"

OOC: Each character receives 3 DP. Anyone not fluent in Maldrog increases in proficiency by 1%.

Last edited:

Remove ads