Critical Role Mighty Nien heads to Amazon Prime!

I confess I AM surprised, though I seem to be the only one in this thread who is!

Season 1 of VM must have gone absolutely gangbusters if they're already greenlighting a spinoff before the second season has even really got going. I was aware it had been successful (you don't sign for a third season of a show when season one was only middling...) but wow, it must have given Amazon just stellar numbers if they're going in this hard this early.

The Critical Role Cinematic Universe. Never thought i'd see the day...

Holy. Balls.

Cannot wait for the chaos that is Jester to hit the screen. Oh...Molly. Long may he reign.

Here's to hoping the episodes are a bit less compact and we get a bit more breathing room to adapt more of the interplay into the cartoon.
No spoilers! I had so much fun watching everyone else watching the first two seasons of Game of Thrones!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Agreed. I still watch…most episodes. For me it’s that everyone went with a joke character with a tragic backstory, except Liam. Like they all got together and decided that Jester and Caleb would be great templates and everyone made a kinda-funny, kinda-tragic character. The result just doesn’t come together as a whole.
You're not wrong. Sam is playing a literal heal-bot, and Talesin is playing the personification of a Punk Rock.

Liam and Ashley are playing the same characters that they rolled up for the Exandria Unlimited miniseries, which had a completely different vibe (more serious, I think). Everyone else kinda went off the rails, I think.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ok so non-Critical Role follower - do I understand correctly that this is the second Critical Role campaign (Vox Machina being the first), with presumably mostly the same VA, but playing totally different characters in a totally different campaign in the same approximate setting?

Also I want to go on record and say Vox Machina and The Mighty Nein are terrible names for groups, and this one is particularly bad because there appear to 7 of them!

Still, hopefully it's as good as or better than Vox Machina, which I've been mostly enjoying on Prime (I wish they'd use more actual spells and fewer generic energy blasts though).
Liam O'Brian voices the Red Skull and Nightcrawler in modern Marvel cartoons and has a bit of Gwrman, so early on in this campaign he decided to make a Wizard with a thick German accent and throwing in some words for flavor. We started with this campaign, and speaking as someone who has a majority of German speaking ancestors and also studied German in high school. I didn't realize he wasn't just a German actor for a few hours! Early on, he kept rolling and failing Saves by rolling 9's, and would respond to Mercer asking if he passed with "Nein, it is a nine" while laying it on thick. Then 9's become overrepresented in everyone's rolls for several sessions, and things escalated from there.

Ultimately, there are like 10 or more members, but not at the same time.

JEB

Legend
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Nein than Vox Machina (minus Percy and Grog).
TBH, I thought Mighty Nein was a lot more popular than Vox Machina, based on fanart and cosplay and other convention activity pre-Covid. But I'm not at all hooked into CR fandom, so...

BRayne

Adventurer
TBH, I thought Mighty Nein was a lot more popular than Vox Machina, based on fanart and cosplay and other convention activity pre-Covid. But I'm not at all hooked into CR fandom, so...

CR got a lot more popular following up on Vox Machina so a ton of people were pushed towards "just watch the new campaign, there's a lot of technical issues at the start of the original one". So there's a ton of CR fans who came in with Mighty Nein and didn't ever really get into Vox Machina. Some people who started with Vox Machina might be inclined to say "M9 had more interesting characters (to start with at least), but VM had a more cohesive story." Which is where a lot of disagreement about the two campaigns lies.

Remove ads