• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Talks (er, Tweets) About the Industry

I think history has proven Mike wrong. The problem is that D&D isn't a game. D&D is a framework that allows 5 players to make a game. So if you like boardgames, you got lots of different games to choose from. If you like RPGs, you got lots of games to choose from. But those games are the things GMs do with D&D. My campaign is my own game I've developed. Your campaign is yours. I think...

I think history has proven Mike wrong. The problem is that D&D isn't a game. D&D is a framework that allows 5 players to make a game.

So if you like boardgames, you got lots of different games to choose from. If you like RPGs, you got lots of games to choose from. But those games are the things GMs do with D&D. My campaign is my own game I've developed. Your campaign is yours.

I think there's a market for lots of different RPGs in that sense. Because each gaming group playing D&D is running its own unique game, in their own homebrew setting with their own house rules.

But I don't think there's a market for different *frameworks*. I think there's demand for *a* framework, that players use to develop lots of different games.

aramis erak

Legend
Mr. Mearls...

My one complaint about the eberron article and the EEPC is that neither includes the racial modifiers for those races not on the table on DMG page 282... which makes doing template NPC's of those races more difficult.

And an adventure compendium of prior seasons' Expeditions would be nifty.

And my biggest complaint overall with the line: No ebook full text of the PHB, MM, and DMG. Doesn't even need to have the art. I want legit electronic editions. The Player's Basic does me no good when searching for the Druid's features...

Still, loving the game, liking the expeditions modules.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Man, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't have an issue with 5e. I'm not on some sort of quest to dis 5e, and AFAIK I haven't said anything negative about it particularly. Is the mere suggestion that your favorite game is just another iteration of D&D so antithetical to you that you can't see anything short of adoration as an insult to it?

As of right this minute a 5e game is the only thing I'm playing in. I doubt that will be true for too much longer, but I like the people in the game pretty well, some of them I've gamed with since the 70's and 80's. I think I'm a bit bored with the type of fodder that 5e serves up, but whatever. Anyway, I'm sure people aren't that interested in hearing about my preferences in this thread...

5E is out. It's what WotC is committed to. Preferences are as irrelevant at this point as they were at this point in 4E. WotC believes they have carefully studied the market and are proceeding on the basis of the information they obtained through this study. If that information doesn't jibe with your preferences, then this version of D&D probably won't be for you. WotC accepts that not everyone will like 5E.

Why would I want anything other than another iteration of D&D as a D&D fan?

Iosue

Legend
Why would I want anything other than another iteration of D&D as a D&D fan?

Some folks have been there and done that, and as far as that goes are happy with whatever previous edition they prefer. As such, they are only interested in a new edition if brings something new to the table.

Which is fine. Personally, in my heart of hearts D&D is B/X and BECM, and while I greatly enjoy 5e, it's not enough to take that place in my heart. What I don't get is the need to trumpet such preferences as a failing of the current edition. I didn't get it when people did it with 2e, 3e, or 4e. If you have an edition you enjoy, play the crap out of it! That's the great revolution of tabletop RPGs -- buy it once for a lifetime of new play experiences. If WotC feels they have to pursue a different audience, more power to them. Folks gotta eat, and they can't eat the goodwill of an old, shrinking fanbase.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I was in a similar situation when 4E released. I tried it, didn't like it, and spent time complaining about it because 4E felt shoved down my throat by a company telling me they didn't care what a thirty year D&D player liked. I stuck around complaining for a long time sowing dissent in a similar fashion to yourself using negative attacks veiled as well-reasoned debate to vent my dislike of the new version of D&D.

I'd advise you as a person in a similar position in 4E not to waste your time attempting negative debate of a game you don't plan to play. Your time would be more productively spent playing and discussing an edition of D&D you like than attempting to sow the seeds of dissent on a forum of 5E fans. At this point you seem to be a person that doesn't like 5E and your posts sound like unsupported and speculative criticism of 5E with the sole intent painting a negative picture of a rather positive one.
So, you're advising someone in what you perceive as the same position now, that you were in 2009, to not do what you did?

For the most part, the few criticism we see of 5e around here are not on anything like the scale, let alone the level of sheer malice, of the edition war.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So, you're advising someone in what you perceive as the same position now, that you were in 2009, to not do what you did?

Yep. It was a waste of my time. I advise others not to bother. Money speaks louder than words. You don't like something, take your money elsewhere. If enough people do it, the company will take notice.

For the most part, the few criticism we see of 5e around here are not on anything like the scale, let alone the level of sheer malice, of the edition war.

It's nothing like it was during 4E. Then again Mearls and his team decided it was important to find out what D&D players want when designing the new edition. He seems to have really hit close to the mark for an extremely large group of players including myself. I'm truly impressed with Mearls ability to create a game system that covered so many concerns be it magic item limit, caster power, streamlined preparation and combat, and many others all within the D&D system.

I think my favorite version of D&D will always be 2E. I had so much fun during that period, They produced the most amazing D&D products they've ever made from the beautiful box sets to the most compelling cleric and deity books D&D has ever produced. 5E is a great iteration that I am really enjoying, especially the ease of play as a DM and player.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yep. It was a waste of my time. I advise others not to bother.
I'm sure people advised you not to bother, at the time, too.

It's nothing like it was during 4E. Then again Mearls and his team decided it was important to find out what D&D players want when designing the new edition.
It's a different dynamic, entirely. 5e turns back to the classic game and the core of the fanbase It's a very safe move, it required little investment, it preserves the IP & trademarks, and it minimizes controversy.

I mean, how many bad things can you really say about 5e that aren't at least as true of other, prior, versions of the game? Not many. It's very securely D&D, quite familiar.

And, it does seem to have finally broken the iron rule of RAW that gripped D&D in the 3.x era, giving the game back to the DM.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've written a couple of longer posts elsewhere about my thoughts on the release schedule, and reblogged them here and here

The "too long, didn't read" version is: It's easier to produce more content later rather then unrelease too much content!

I also think the pace of releases will increase, but Mike and company are paying a lot of attention to the reaction of the players first. We're not getting content merely for the sake of getting content!

Cheers!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I'm sure people advised you not to bother, at the time, too.

Not really. Edition wars were going strong. It was the first time D&D splintered as it had. D&D was very much used to little to no competition as the top dog of the TTRPG genre. That period was a strange time that will probably have a unique place in TTRPG history.

You were here? The back and forth was vicious. I haven't seen the term grognard tossed out yet. That term was common in the 4E days. I was called it many times. So many people were going back and forth no one was bothering to stop unless the moderators killed it.

It's a different dynamic, entirely. 5e turns back to the classic game and the core of the fanbase It's a very safe move, it required little investment, it preserves the IP & trademarks, and it minimizes controversy.

I mean, how many bad things can you really say about 5e that aren't at least as true of other, prior, versions of the game? Not many. It's very securely D&D, quite familiar.

And, it does seem to have finally broken the iron rule of RAW that gripped D&D in the 3.x era, giving the game back to the DM.

It sort of returns to the classic game and sort of does some other stuff. The Concentration mechanic is entirely new. That was an interesting way to take care of the magic stacking problem of previous editions. Bounded Accuracy is an entirely new concept in D&D. It might something from another game, but I haven't experienced it. Even back in the early days of D&D a group of orcs was nothing to a high level character stacked with magic items. Flattening the AC and defense curve to make it so orcs are a legitimate enemy for high level characters was a very cool addition to the game. Attunement was a much better way to get rid of the magic item Christmas tree than anything I had seen prior, while still incorporating a mechanic that allows for interesting and powerful magic items.

There was a lot of rules refinement that greatly improved on the game that did not exist in prior editions. I find some of the new innovations very interesting. I no longer consider tons of rules more advanced than simple, effective rules as I did prior to 5E. They really seemed to find some core rules that are simple, effective, and advanced not seen in previous editions.

I'm glad RAW is seriously minimized. Holy crap, I hated trying to figure out RAW versus RAI. Sometimes it seemed like even the designers didn't know. Then some of the crazy players on the boards would come up with using RAW was so absurd and nonsensical I seriously wondered if there were DMs out there allowing such interpretations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not really. Edition wars were going strong.
No one ever pointed out that you were in a forum, devoted to a game you didn't, play, just complaining about that game? I remember the edition war. H4ters were told that every day. It didn't dissuade you, did it?

Abdul isn't doing anything as counter-productive or intellectually dishonest as what was going on in the edition wars. It's hypocritical of you to try to take some sort of high ground and tell him he's out of line.

It was the first time D&D splintered as it had. D&D was very much used to little to no competition as the top dog of the TTRPG genre. That period was a strange time that will probably have a unique place in TTRPG history.
Maybe the internet just magnified it, that time. But, 3.x did get some grognard backlash, including talking points, like 'grid dependence' that were recycled for the edition war. And, there was a split, between 0e fans who took up Arduin, and those who adopted or started with Basic or AD&D. You just couldn't get a good flame-war going in Out on a Limb.

You were here? The back and forth was vicious. I haven't seen the term grognard tossed out yet. That term was common in the 4E days. I was called it many times.
I was mostly on the Wizards site, but here, too, yeah. ENWorld was a little less vicious, and leaned to the h4ter side a bit, while Wizards leaned 4venger.

Besides, Abdul, you, & I /are/ grognards. We're the old guard who have been with D&D since the fad years, if not a few years before. ;)

It sort of returns to the classic game and sort of does some other stuff. The Concentration mechanic is entirely new.
You don't remember the various spells in AD&D that required concentration throughout, nor the concentration needed to cast spells, or the way either sort was broken by any damage, and impossible when prone, riding a mount, or walking at a normal pace?

Bounded Accuracy is an entirely new concept in D&D. It might something from another game, but I haven't experienced it.
Ever play 3.5 in E6 mode? And, yes many games have much less dramatic character advancement. Though both are much more profound than Bounded Accuracy. The main difference between BA and 3.5 or classic D&D is not the size of the numbers (which, sure, or smaller, but that's little more than cosmetic), but the fact that those ability bonus and proficiency numbers are the same scale for everyone. Putting ability bonuses on the same scale was an early-90s innovation found in TRS Gamma World, and adopted by D&D with 3.0, as was putting all classes on the same experience/level table. Taking BAB, save DCs, skills &c, and putting them all on the same level-based scale regardless of class (which is what 5e Bounded Accuracy's proficiency bonus /is/), was, of course, a 4e innovation. 4e just did it with bigger numbers over more levels.

Even back in the early days of D&D a group of orcs was nothing to a high level character stacked with magic items.
Or a low level one with Sleep.

Flattening the AC and defense curve to make it so orcs are a legitimate enemy for high level characters was a very cool addition to the game.
In 3.x, defenses rose rapidly with level, mostly via huge 'Natural Armor' bonuses for monsters, and magic items for PCs. In classic, while PC AC could get very high (at any level) if festooned with magic items, Monty-Haul style, there was no level progression for AC, either among monster or PCs. In 5e, that progression is just small. And 3.x already made orcs a legitimate enemy for high-level characters - by letting orcs level. ;)

Attunement was a much better way to get rid of the magic item Christmas tree than anything I had seen prior, while still incorporating a mechanic that allows for interesting and powerful magic items.
Nod. It was nice when RuneQuest came up with it 35 years ago, too. Though the big problem was that the Christmas tree effect was needed in most editions, to keeps certain classes relevant at higher levels. 5e did step back from that, in theory, in not 'baking in' magic item bonuses. Some sub-classes would still need magic items to keep up in other areas, though.

There was a lot of rules refinement that greatly improved on the game that did not exist in prior editions.
I find some of the new innovations very interesting.
You may not have noticed them in prior editions (or other games) but they were out there.

I no longer consider tons of rules more advanced than simple, effective rules as I did prior to 5E. They really seemed to find some core rules that are simple, effective, and advanced not seen in previous editions.
Well, if by 'previous editions' you mean 3.x/Pathfinder - and discount B/X (which you've already mentioned, so I'm guessing you don't discount it), not to mentions the many variations under which classic D&D tended to be played.

5e looks rules-lite compared to 3.x/Pathfinder. If you only compared the core 3 books, though the difference would seem a lot less pronounced. And it's not anymore elegant in design than 3.0 was.

I'm glad RAW is seriously minimized. Holy crap, I hated trying to figure out RAW versus RAI. Sometimes it seemed like even the designers didn't know. Then some of the crazy players on the boards would come up with using RAW was so absurd and nonsensical I seriously wondered if there were DMs out there allowing such interpretations.
I did get to play a Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake once, so yes, a few.

5e gets away with repeating some the mistakes of the past, because it's been lucky enough to avoid that particular mistake, thanks to the way it evangelizes for DM Empowerment. A determined DM can make up for a lot.

Speaking of unique times in D&D history that will probably never be repeated.... hopefully the RAW thing doesn't become a pendulum. But, it so seems like the kind of thing that could be...

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads