• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!

Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter Club

Avatar Legends leads the pack in an exclusive club -- Kickstarters for tabletop roleplaying game products which have broken the $1M barrier! It is currently the most successful TTRPG Kickstarter in history with a funding total of nearly $10M, and over 80,000 backers.

av.jpg

This list comprises Kickstarters specifically for tabletop roleplaying games or supplements which have exceeded $1M. It does not include Kickstarters for miniatures, software, dice, or other accessories.

• The first TTRPG Kickstarter to break $1M was 7th Sea: Second Edition (2016) by John Wick.
  • The first to break $2M was Strongholds & Streaming (2018) by Matt Colville.
  • The first to break $9M was Avatar Legends (2021) from Magpie Games.
  • 7/13 in the list included miniatures in their campaigns.
  • 9/13 in the list are designed for D&D 5E.
In the 12 years since Kickstarter's creation in 2009 until the start of 2021, 4 TTRPG projects beat the $1M mark. In the months since March 2021, until the time of writing, a further 9 projects have done so.

$1M+ TTRPG Kickstarters: The Official $1M TTRPG Kickstarter Club

#​
KickstarterCreatorDate EndedBackersAmountAverage Pledge
1​
Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying GameMagpie GamesSeptember 202181,549$9,533,258$117
2​
Strongholds & Streaming*^Matt ColvilleMarch 201828,918$2,121,465$73
3​
The One Ring Roleplaying Game, Second EditionFree LeagueMarch 202116,591$2,025,288$122
4​
Heliana's Guide to Monster Hunting^Loot TavernJuly 202118,082$1,845,422$102
5​
The Seeker's Guide to Twisted Taverns^EldermancyMarch 202117,921$1,650,076$92
6​
Kingdoms, Warfare & More Minis!*^Matt ColvilleNovember 201919,033$1,372,685$72
7​
Grim Hollow: The Monster Grimoire*^Ghostfire GamingMay 202115,530$1,348,160$87
8​
7th Sea: Second EditionJohn WickMarch 201611,483$1,316,813$115
9​
Dungeons of Drakkenheim*^Dungeon DudesAugust 202113,376$1,279,240$96
10​
Auroborous: Coils of the Serpent*^Warchief GamingMay 202110,218$1,260,863$123
11​
Coyote & Crow the Roleplaying GameConnor AlexanderApril 202116,269$1,073,453$66
12​
Humblewood Campaign Setting for 5e*^Hit Point PressApril 201914,604$1,001,085$69
TBA​
Tanares RPG - 5e*^Dragori GamesOctober 2021TBATBATBA
*includes miniatures
^D&D-related

1mks.jpg

Last edited:

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

You say this as if it was somehow a deep moral failure on their part to not embrace the cult of 5e or the almighty dollar rather than their own creative goals with the project.

Regardless, it's premature to declare this a one-million dollar Kickstarter on day one.
Deep moral failure? No.

But if they're trying to get outreach, avoiding the most popular game engine in the world and making kneejerk reaction type dismissiveness isn't a good idea.

Not having a system choice in place at start of KS is a bad idea. It makes one look unprepared.

I do agree with that much of your post.
It's a good thing my ego needs no boost from people online. (But I won't deny that I do enjoy when people agree with me.)

In all seriousness, the way they denied a 5e possibility was the point where I, personally, decided they were definitely not professional enough in their approach for me to bother even following.

It's not that they said "No, Not 5E" but the way they said it. It's a really cheap license with a lot of fans, and taking what appears an antagonistic tone over it means even if the 5E fans were looking, they now have an idea that the design team thinks their favorite game is somehow unworthy.

Perhaps it's a "mountain from a molehill" situation, but brand attacks are just bad advertising.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So normally day one is the huge money maker on KS right? So I told myself "they made 1.6 million, so they could probably double it to about 3 million by the end?"

Well avatar is now over 3 millions, TWO days later. They have 27 more days to go. This is nuts!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So normally day one is the huge money maker on KS right? So I told myself "they made 1.6 million, so they could probably double it to about 3 million by the end?"

Well avatar is now over 3 millions, TWO days later. They have 27 more days to go. This is nuts!
It's following the standard Kickstarter U-shape pattern. The middle two weeks will be quiet, and then there will be an uptick in the last week.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.55.38 PM.png

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Oh I'm aware of the curve shape, but my understanding was that it was even more front loaded - that day 1 was the big money maker. this one seems to have more "legs".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh I'm aware of the curve shape, but my understanding was that it was even more front loaded - that day 1 was the big money maker. this one seems to have more "legs".
Yeah, I'd agree it's not as sharp as usual. It's getting a lot of press coverage. It'll still follow the shape, but it will be a more shallow U than usual.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I checked Kicktraq for a few projects that made the million. It does seem like there's at least a bit of a correlation between a campaign being front-loaded and having the first few days represent a larger portion of their total earnings. A curve with more legs, as you call it, seem to lead to the middle and last part of the kickstarter representing a bigger part of the earnings.

Just by the curve one could guess that Avatar will more than double what it has right now. But my gut feeling tells me its success up to now (4 million as of now) is due to the franchises and avatar fans more than just TTRPG fans. I'm gonna guess that this campaign will have a weaker tail.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I like the fact that there are a LOT of backers for Avatar. This means lots of playgroups out there. In another forum someone was musing that maybe a significant (>1-3%) of backers may think this is a Video game RPG, instead of a TTRPG. Guess we'll see...

Related Articles

Visit Our Sponsor

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4