D&D 5E Milticlassing Dip-schticks

transtemporal

Explorer
For mostly-casters, I don't think its a good idea since you miss out on precious high level spell slots. Having said that, a pal2/sorc18 is pretty compelling. Heavy-armor-wearing, martial-weapon-wielding, smiting machine!

cmad1977

Hero
All I'll say is do what you want to do, there's certainly no wrong way plus in the end isn't it for fun? Oh the things I can do...ridiculous!

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about squeezing numbers out of my build. I went wolf totem(which I'm sure DPRz people would sneer at). I keep wanting to pick up a fighting style...but the juicy Barbarian abilities keep calling... but the champion abilities keep calling... but the barba...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balfore

Explorer
What proportion of poeple get characters to level 15? I've played D&D since the early 80s and never seen a campaign last that long. All high-level play I've seen or been involved in, the characters were created at that level.
We always go all the way.
Recently, we've gone beyond 20.
We've also been playing together for almost 20 years... so, any of these campaigns that come out are really no challange at all.

Strahd had a good story, but was terribly written. It was severely underwhelming.

PotA was HORRIBLE all the way around.

Out of the Abyss was 'meh', but had some interesting parts.

We are looking forward to Storm King...looks like it was well thought out, and written quite well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Undrhil

Explorer
Characters concept. I have a pair of characters right now, who are a pirate captain and his first mate. The captain is a Warlock of Davy jones/Swashbuckler, while the first mate is a monk/swashbuckler. Both excellent for the Pirate aesthetic I wanted.

From the mechanical side, it depends on the concept. A bladelock, for example, is fairly weak to start off. However, Swashbuckler is a Charisma based melee fighter, making the captain quite good in close quarters. The Monk is a Dex based fighter, which also combos well with Swashbuckler. Both are going to be getting sneak attack a lot, and be fairly competent in solo fights.

It also depends on the class abilities you are missing out on. I personally don't need the high level Swashbuckler abilities, since they are less "Pirate fighting" focused, which is the only reason I grabbed Swashbuckler over fighter. I am then thinking of taking the captain to level 3 fighter for Eldritch Knight, which will give him the ability to always be armed with a pair of weapons. The Monk will be going to fighter 3 as well, for Champion.

All mechanics that lend themselves to my Character goals

I have a grappler Fighter who has the Sailor background. Basically, he's a dragonborn, he's tough as nails from working on ships and he's good at grappling from hanging onto the mast during massive storms and waves and stuff. He's branched off now and taken some levels of Warlock to get some addition benefits in there. :)

Mathilda

Explorer
What proportion of poeple get characters to level 15? I've played D&D since the early 80s and never seen a campaign last that long. All high-level play I've seen or been involved in, the characters were created at that level.

In almost all the campaigns that I have played and I too, have been playing since the early 80s have gone over level 15 except for one and that is because I left the group to join the Army.

I prefer high level play because in my opinion that is where DnD is the most challenging to both player and DM. Really no more excuses on both sides... the characters are very powerful and the DM should be comfortable enough by then to put really anything on the field of battle and expect the party to handle it.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
I take to Multiclassing like a junkie to the needle. Inevitably my Character Concepts seem to demand it. My last PC was a Ftr 2/Wiz (EK) 6 (High Elf) when we ended. I'm now playing a Ranger 3 (Human) and (with the OK from a very lenient DM) I'll be "dying" and then "reborn" as an Aasimar Paladin. Very excited about all of this, to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I have a bard with Suggestion (my second favourite spell) As part of her concept, I want her to be able to cast this telepathically. I have to dip 1 level of Warlock for the Great Old One feature of Awakened Mind.

It helps that I am already Charisma based and gives me some extra stuff that is fine as well. I don't care about DPR and optimal so I am only going to dip one level and then it's back to my bard levels again.

With another level dip, I could take E Blast, A Blast and Hex and another invocation, but at that point I am no longer a bard IMO and am definitely not my concept anymore. (I have done this before to try to up my DPR because at the time I thought it was important. It wasn't, and it kind of ruined my PC, so I am more careful nowadays about if to M/C and if so how much. My decisions will be purely concept focused now.)

How would you multiclass a necromancer?

As long as you hit Necro 6 and have lots of spell slots, there's pretty much no bad way to do it. You could even do something crazy like Barbarian 1/Necromancer 6/Rogue 2/Druid 11 and it would be just fine. You'd have elemental wildshape, lots of undead, and 6th level Druid spells like Conjure Fey which, in conjunction with Planar Binding, gets you access to covens of hags spamming Lightning Bolt/Counterspell/etc., to go along with your small army of undead skeletons. Or you could just use Conjure Fey to get high-CR beasts to Planar Bind, like T-Rexes and Hulking Crabs.

Your undead would be somewhat less durable than those of a full-blown Necromancer 20, but at the scale you're operating at, who really cares if they have 19 HP or 33 HP? Besides, you can always take Inspiring Leader if you really want to give them some extra (temp) HP.

Last edited:

Tainted Powers

First Post
I take to Multiclassing like a junkie to the needle. Inevitably my Character Concepts seem to demand it. My last PC was a Ftr 2/Wiz (EK) 6 (High Elf) when we ended. I'm now playing a Ranger 3 (Human) and (with the OK from a very lenient DM) I'll be "dying" and then "reborn" as an Aasimar Paladin. Very excited about all of this, to say the least!

And I too am a multiclass junkie! I find new and new ways to find synergy between class abilities, spells and feats. A Warlock/Sorcerer/Bard/Paladin/Fighter can be combined in so many ways its pure magic by itself. :D

Having a single class is too boring for me. And in my opinion not worth it. LVL 7 spells are the max I want, I see more benefit from Multiclassing then gaining lvl 8 and 9 spells.

The only reason I see to not multiclass is to get access to higher lvl spell as soon as possible. If this is important to you or your party then by all means go for it. But even then when you reach lvl 17 in Wizard, don't tell me you don't want to pick up 3 lvls of Sorcerer for metamagic? Or if you are a Sorcerer don't tell me the lvl 2 Warlock dip for EB+Hex is not appealing? Or for a Bladelock a lvl 3-4 Sacred Oath Paladin doesn't add more then the last 3-4 levels in Warlock?

But I do have to agree with most of the previous people posting. It is a matter of character concept. Some players like the purity of one class, some prefer more diverse approach to a character. I for one usually have at least 3 classes! :)

Remove ads