Milwaukee Journal Sentinel GenCon article

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Milwaukee gives GenCon the following sort pf free publicity, and Peter still blows off the city. I just don't know...

Gary

----------------------------------------------------

Gen Con offerings still magical
By STANLEY A. MILLER II
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Aug. 3, 2002
Peter Adkison, the gaming mogul who owns the Gen Con Game Fair, loves games, and he likes getting gamers together.

Related Story

Gen Con: Gen gone

He went to his first Gen Con in 1993 and was "awe-struck."

"The first time you go, you can't believe it, and you are totally blown away," Adkison said. "I never realized there were so many people who loved these kinds of games."

Adkison says he doesn't plan any major changes to Gen Con, because it's a formula that works. The main events that have made the convention a success will remain when it moves to Indianapolis, he said.

"I just want to add to it and refine it," he said. "Every Gen Con should have something really cool and new on a big scale. The type of thing everyone goes home and talks about as the unique thing of the show."

Admission into Gen Con depends on the number of days you want to attend. A one-day pass is $23. Admission for four days runs $60. This year the extra-special event will be the Cirque de la Gen Con, a party celebrating Milwaukee's last Gen Con being held at the Rave, 2401 W. Wisconsin Ave.

For those lucky enough to catch a cab or survive the 20-block walk from downtown, there will be several DJs spinning so gamers can get their groove on, as well as circus performers to entertain the dateless wonders and wall flowers. The festivities begin at 8 p.m. Saturday, and tickets are $20 with a convention badge and $25 without one.

People who want to enjoy Gen Con's most popular events might consider:

The Gen Con Costume Contest, Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Hyatt Regency, ballroom AB. This event is the source of all the colorful characters walking around downtown in outfits ranging from historically accurate evening gowns from the Middle Ages to Jedi knights from the "Star Wars" saga. Some participants put on performances that send the crowd into a frenzy and the audience selects the overall winner.

The exhibit hall floor at the Midwest Express Center is where the magic happens. Peruse rare gaming books, find obscure DVDs, test brand-new games and buy autographed paraphernalia. If it has anything to do with games, fantasy, science fiction or other forms of fandom, you are likely to find it here.

The exhibit hall also holds the autograph stage, where Warwick Davis - star of "Willow" and an Ewok in "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" - will be signing autographs at various times. Ted Raimi ("Patriot Games," "Xena: Warrior Princess" and the movie "Spider-Man" movie) and Teryl Rothery ("Stargate: SG1") are among other personalities who will be on hand,

The creations on display at the Gen Con Art Show relate to fantasy, science fiction or the gaming industry, and much of it is for sale. The artist Gerald Brom - who has created works for novels, role-playing games, comics and more - will be signing autographs at specific times in the gallery, which is also at Midwest Express Center. For specific times, visit www.wizards.com/gencon.

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Aug. 4, 2002.

JohnNephew

First Post
I'm really gonna miss Milwaukee, and am not looking forward to the longer drive to Indy. My heart really opposes the move, and can't imagine Gen Con without the familiar haunts. Still, I see the sense behind the decisions. The hotel situation has been atrocious, and I can understand the desire to have a greater population in easy driving range. Gen Con should be as big as the Essen fair in Germany, if not larger -- but that physically can't happen in Milwaukee today.

Anyhow, after they demolished the Belmont, how much of the real Milwaukee is left? ;)

A friendly newspaper piece is good, but hardly constitutes amazing free publicity. I'm sure Indianapolis has a paper that will write a story or two about the event there. I have the impression that there have been years of frustration with the city -- certainly it's inconvenient that there always seem to be another huge event or two scheduled at the same time, sucking up precious hotel rooms.

NLP

First Post
Gary,

I think you should define "blows off the city". The move from Milwaukee to Indianapolis was decided some 2 to 3 years ago; long before Pete purchased the rights for Gen Con. Perhaps you would like Pete to breech his contract with the owners of the convention center in Indianapolis? Maybe a lawsuit or two would make Gen Con a better convention. :)

If Gen Con is to grow it needs a bigger city with better support for the gamers, retailers, and other professionals attending. I was bummed when Gen Con moved to Milwaukee from Parkside, but that move was better for the con and the fans. I am sure the same will be said for the move to Indianapolis.

If you do not like the long drive from your home, there is always Amtrak. :)

Talaysen

First Post
If Milwaukee wants to keep Gen Con, they need to build more hotels and be friendlier overall to the con. (I actually heard that someone on their tourism board commented that the "loss" of Gen Con would allow them to attract more "respectable" conventions. What, like the Promise Keepers gathering that was there around the time of GC2K? *whistles innocently*) That newspaper article is very nice, but ultimately, it can't change the fact that the convention has outgrown that particular city and its facilities.

Of course, I STILL think they should move the thing to Boston, but I'm biased. :D

RodneyThompson

First Post
Well, this is going to be my first GenCon. When I started planning this trip, I thought about waiting and going next year. But I figures that I should go this year, just in case it really is the last time it'll be in Milwaukee. Besides, now that I'm actually getting into professional work for WotC, I figure I'd better make it to the Safe House and schmooze.

The only thing I don't like is that when we made our hotel reservations in January, we still are stuck all the way out by the airport. Grr!

Paul_Klein

Explorer
Next year's Gen Con will be my first for me. I simply procrastonated too long to make this year's event.

Reguardless, living near Chicago, it doesn't make too much of a difference travel-wise for me. Milwuakee is a little closer (I live in the Northwest suburbs) but Indiana isn't a huge problem.

SemperJase

First Post
Come on Gary! Don't let your biases overwhelm good judgement. I can understand your desire to support the state D&D was born in. Still, the purpose of Gen Con is to promote gaming (and sell a lot of stuff). Milwaukee just does not have the facilities to suppport it now. Maybe that is a bad thing for Milwaukee, but it is a good thing for the industry and for you by extension. The larger the Con grows, the more opportunity for gaming producers to sell their products.

Now, isn't that good for you, the convention, and the industry?

pennywiz

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Milwaukee gives GenCon the following sort pf free publicity, and Peter still blows off the city. I just don't know...

Gary----------------------------------------------------

Gen Con offerings still magical
By STANLEY A. MILLER II
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Aug. 3, 2002
Peter Adkison, the gaming mogul who owns the Gen Con Game Fair, loves games, and he likes getting gamers together.

Related Story

Gen Con: Gen gone

/edit/ circus performers to entertain the dateless wonders and wall flowers. /edit/

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Aug. 4, 2002.

Gary? Kidding, right?

2WS-Steve

First Post
I understand the desire for tradition but I'm looking forward to the increased ability to get direct flights to Indianapolis. Right now I'm on the East Coast so I managed to get one to Milwaukee (but not many airlines carry them). Some airlines required a stopover in Atlanta (!) on my flight from Newark to Milwaukee. I suspect this will also reduce the cost of getting to GenCon.

Remove ads