Min/max tricks of the players

Ziggy

First Post
Cullain said:

Also, I hope no one ever fireballs that mage. With his higher CON he might make it, but I don't think the toad stands much of a chance.

Cullain

Remember that all familiars have Improved Evasion, and take only half damage on a failed save (and none if they make it). Thus if your wizard can take a fireball, his familiar will also survive.

.Ziggy

Numion

First Post
If you're going to powergame, at least do it right. No point in wielding twin bastard swords or even a single greatsword, because at little higher levels scimitars and falchions rule the day.

Don't play fighter. Play a cleric. A dwarf cleric with the war domain gets free feats for weapon (Haela Brightaxe gets 2-h sword, sorry no falchion).

At 15th level:

Triple empowered Bull's Strength
Triple empowered Endurance
Quickened divine favor
Haste boots
Divine Power
Greater Magic weapon
+6-8 other boosts (Death Ward, Freedom of Move...)

You'll beat any fighter in melee. Really. And you've also got spells galore!

If FR is available, the same works with Archer-Cleric with the Elf domain (equal to war domain in free feats). (You'll get that triple-empowered Cat's Grace in Elf domain)

Mages aren't as interesting to munch out, since the spells are sucky compared to clerics, and the clerics are much harder to kill. (Death Ward, Spell Resistance, Spell Immunity etc...)

magnuskn

First Post
FireLance said:

Assuming the character already has Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting, longsword + dagger gives a -2 to all attacks. Attacking with two longswords gives a -4 to to all attacks. Attacking with two bastard swords also gives a -4 to all attacks, and requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). If the player wants to burn a feat that way, I'd let them do it.

I´ve long discovered that it is vastly preferable for a character with a high Strength score to have a weapon with a high threat range ( scimitars and others ), than a weapon with high damage. A bastard sword is a good weapon, but the d2 more damage than a longsword don´t make such a big difference in the long run, and it does cost the character a feat. Therefore, no big sweat for me.

Magnus

rmcdouga

First Post
Chain shirts

My players favour chain shirts and high dex almost exclusively. Dex is useful for both missle weapons and AC. The chain shirt provides best AC with a minimum dex penalty. It's also pretty light so they have good movement.

Any comments on this strategy? What are the pitfalls? The only downside I can see is that in the long term a tank might win out because you can buy a better AC and improve your To Hit and Damaga by raising his strength.

What other factors balance the chain shirt choice?

Cullain

First Post
The first 3 or 4 times they get sneak attacked they might wish they had full plate, since you don't get your dex bonus against a sneak attack.

Cullain

Black Omega

First Post
Cullain said:
The first 3 or 4 times they get sneak attacked they might wish they had full plate, since you don't get your dex bonus against a sneak attack.
On the other hand, that higher touch AC can be nice.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Richards said:
An elf sorcerer in my gaming group has a toad familiar named Pyracor. She taught the thing to pour healing potions down her mouth when she falls to the ground unconscious. Pyracor wears a little harness that can hold two potions, one on each side.

Heh heh heh...That stupid toad's saved the group from a TPK on more than one instance, and there's nothing my oldest son hates more than "getting saved by the toad again..."

Johnathan

My 6/1 dwarven fighter just picked up a level of wizard and chose toad as a familier. It's named Pumice and has 37 hit points. It's very useful when bathing, it removes those unsightly callouses pretty well.

Fade

First Post
Ziggy said:

Remember that all familiars have Improved Evasion, and take only half damage on a failed save (and none if they make it). Thus if your wizard can take a fireball, his familiar will also survive.

How do you dodge a fireball when you're locked in a small box?

Remove ads