• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Min/maxing a cleric

perivas

First Post
I am currently playing a min/maxed cleric and wanted people's opinion of what I should do with my feats or the future of my character. Here's where I'm currently at right now, please lend me a hand. We are using only WOTC products and are in an FR campaign. Thanks.

Paladin 1/Cleric 4/Hospitaller 1/Templar 1

Str 15/Dex 12/Con 14/Int 10/Wis 17/Cha 16

Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword), Endurance, Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack and one unassigned feat at 6th level

I have originally planned to keep taking levels of the Hospitaller class to get the +1 to base attack every level and +1 spellcaster level every level. I think this is still the best way to go. I also wanted to know if I should spend my next ability score point on Strength or on Wisdom.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Knowing your domains would also help. Which two did you take?

By the by, if you can manage it, Contemplative is a truly nasty divine PrC. Eventually multiple Prestige domains, woo hoo!

Crothian

First Post
What's his history and his personality? Why does he have so many classes? Can't he make up his mind an commit to one thing? It just doesn't make a lot of sense for a character to do this. :(

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mordeth said:
How did you get weapon spec as a cleric or paladin? I dont know what special abilities that the prestige classes give.

Templars give weapon specialization. And no discussion whether they should, as we had that already...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Crothian said:
What's his history and his personality? Why does he have so many classes? Can't he make up his mind an commit to one thing? It just doesn't make a lot of sense for a character to do this. :(

He already told you: he's a min/maxed cleric. You know that min/maxed characters are born without a personality! ;)

Asheron

First Post
cleric

well i am playing a cleric right know, here's what i did.............

I decided i'll go with a full cleric and not for the fighter/cleric combo. Sure you got the better BAB, but i think the spells you'll have to give up are far better than the base attack. Think of boosting spells like divine favor, divine power, righteous might. They more than make up for the lesser BAB. Besides these spells, you'll also have a range of other potent spells you can choose from, not to mention that the healing capabilities of cleric are brilliant.

From the chosen feats you mention, I can assume your character rides horse a lot of the time during the adventure. Well the feats i've chosen for my cleric are somewhat different: Quick draw, combat casting, greater fortitude (cant be high enough!) and spell penetration(for that pesky spel resistance on higher lvls)

You can also check out the Defenders of the Faith book for how to play an effective cleric.........

Grz Ash

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Personally, I would take Spirited Charge as your unassigned feat (x2 melee damage, x3 with a lance - very nasty), pump your Wis to 18 at 8th level (saves against your spells and your Will save +1, plus a bonus 4th level spell, not to mention listen and spot checks).
I would 1 level of Contemplative IF: you use summon monster alot (take the summoning prestige domain), or you use dispel magic alot (inquisition domain), or you come across alot of undead (glory domain).
Then I would continue with the Hospitaler class. With a fighters BAB, feats and no loss of spellcasting ability, there's almost no reason NOT to take levels in this class.

IMHO

Alariel

First Post
My current character is a cleric as well:

11/1/4/2 Cleric/Paladin/Sacred Exorcist/Divine Contemplative (worshipper of Hieroneous, domains of Law, Protection, Exorcism and Mysticism)

Now, granted, I hadn't planned to min/max him from the beginning, so he has no feats swayed towards fighting. Rather, Bishop Cristoph has Still Spell, Silent Spell, Empower Spell, Persistent Spell, and Maximize Spell.

The good bishop is the best fighter in the party, surpassing the 21st level dwarven fighter and the 15th level minotaur monk, at least in the realm of basic game mechanics such as attack and damage (obviously other factors will weigh in, but I'm keeping things simple here). Spells such as Persistent Divine Favor, Persistent Divine Power and Persistent Weapon of the Deity make excellent breakfast spells (ie spells you cast at the beginning of the day after you finish yawning away your night's rest). I don't find much use for Righteous Might, as Cristoph has a base STR of 12, and Divine Power raises it to 18 whereas Righteous Might only raises it to 16. Plus, the good bishop is like a cardinal of the Vatican City, so being large disrupts my stylized image of him. =)

Add to these spells a Miracled Tenser's Transformation, and the good bishop is attacking 4 times starting in the low to mid 40s for his total attack bonus and damaging in the mid to high 20s with a +5 Shocking Longsword (which, incidentally, spends each night as your run-of-the-mill silvered masterwork longsword; nothing but the best for Hieroneous!).

And if that isn't quite enough, add in Greater Aspect of the Deity for that droolicious half-celestial look (another +4 str in addition to the other niceties, and the form of an anime archangel!).

All that is left is for you to raise your sword in defiance of evil and cry righteously, "I kick ass for the Lord!"

Remove ads