IMG_20200211_213825.jpg
IMG_20200211_213833.jpg
IMG_20200211_213901.jpg
IMG_20200211_213923.jpg
IMG_20200211_213913.jpg
IMG_20200211_213935.jpg
IMG_20200211_214128.jpg
IMG_20200211_214107.jpg
Images Missing the last ones, such as the Adult White Dragon...
Anyway, I'm a collector since 4 y ago (I play since 30 y ago). I like them on display, especially the big ones.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've never used minis in a D&D game, except when playing in AL games at my FLGS. I frankly don't like the limited thinking that accompanies the use of miniatures in a TTRPG.

That said, I have a bunch of miniatures, many from the old Hero Quest game, and I have enjoyed painting them since I was 11 or 12. I also just backed a few crowdfunding campaigns (Altar Quest, an actual collection of 200+ fantasy miniatures, the new version of Hero Quest), which combined mean I'll have about 300 or 400 new minis showing up within the next year or so.

Now I just need to figure out where to put them all!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've had miniatures for D&D mere days after I got the rules for Christmas back around '80. They used to be all metal and I'd try and get the ones I'd use in game, but I started migrating over to plastic when the prepainted figures started coming out.

Before the random boxings of the prepainted, I specifically bought miniatures for use in the game - mostly monsters. Now, I try to collect any and all that I can get my hands on - especially ones I've used in the past or have a fondness for. If a player's character survived long enough, I'd usually buy a mini and paint it to represent them.

I also have quite a bit of dwarven forge and used to love breaking it out to map the dungeon. It's a bit too unwieldy these days though, so it's mostly collecting dust now. Did pull it out recently to have a little fun with the new Wizkid Warlock tiles...

50443196323_4dee39898c_c.jpg

50444070042_92ce792be7_b.jpg
While the use of such modelling for a dungeon is very impressive, doesn't it take away from the exploration aspect of the game? It would seem like knowing what regions lie ahead could be problematic?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
While the use of such modelling for a dungeon is very impressive, doesn't it take away from the exploration aspect of the game? It would seem like knowing what regions lie ahead could be problematic?
It really depends on how you use it.

the best use imho is to quickly set up big encounters. I had a simple bunch of walls prior to this and we played as usual until a bigger encounter (then we would “build” the room.

As to what you see, this was a set up for a mini con in my basement for pals. Not used due to COVID sadly!

the other thing is that you can cover rooms with paper. I had some black cardstock scraps that work ok. You still know the shape of the table of course!

so my take is that premade dungeons can telegraph some, even if covered. Building rooms however doesn’t which might be the way to go for most.

for this ‘con’ though I wanted as little game time work as possible and had it preset. But it’s modular materials and you can make an area on the fly.

of course depending on your detail, this can get laborious. I have crates, treasure, furniture etc.i can throw in there. For quick and dirty Needs I can see it could be overkill Of course but it’s a fun experience even if just used sometimes.

I will tell you what sparked the idea. Years and years ago we drove to gen con in Milwaukee 1990 maybe? And some folks had some AD&D games set up with foam or cardboard encounters and it blew my mind. I thought I would like to do that one day.

it only took me 30 years!

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Asuming you mean clarify my comment about limited thinking: a vivid description in a Theater of the Mind game helps players envision their environment and make more interesting tactical decisions, for example.

In the AL games I played, for example, players focused on what was on the game board. Across two years and some 50+ fellow players, in three different game stores, I never saw anyone but me ask what was up above, and/or try to utilize ceilings, walls, and rooftops for anything. There's no model for it on the table, so the players don't think of it.

Using a game board removes the onus on description from the DM, it's true, and for DMs who don't like providing detailed descriptions and/or envisioning and defining a full 3d environment in their head, miniatures and terrain can be a welcome tool. There are parts of the game I don't excell at too, and I don't begrudge anyone their style of play.

But in my experience, models on a table create a visual box out of which many players find it difficult to think. I'm not a fan.

pogre

Legend
Hello fellow travelers,

what about you?

this is becoming a new hobby with the gaming. Perhaps telling (regarding the gaming hobby) is the fact that when we had nothing but dice and a few metal figures I had no less fun. This collecting bit has helped me stay immersed though when life prevents playing.

happy gaming!
Miniatures and terrain are major hobbies for me.
Here is a shot of the set-up for today's game:
IMG_0925.jpg

Some pics of my cabinets and drawers of minis and terrain. Lots of pre-painted master maze, but virtually no pre-painted minis.
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

I may have a problem....

briggart

Adventurer
Miniatures and terrain are major hobbies for me.
Here is a shot of the set-up for today's game:
View attachment 127306

Some pics of my cabinets and drawers of minis and terrain. Lots of pre-painted master maze, but virtually no pre-painted minis.
View attachment 127307
View attachment 127308
View attachment 127309View attachment 127310
View attachment 127311View attachment 127312
View attachment 127313View attachment 127314
View attachment 127315

I may have a problem....
And now I need a bigger house...

Mull Ponders

Explorer
I have a lot of miniatures and thousands of dollars worth of Dungeon Forge. Not getting to use it much at the moment.

How about suggestions on how to add to our collection? As an example, I ran Tomb on Annihilation, found it was cheaper to buy the deluxe board game with the pre-painted plastic miniatures than to try and get them individually.

Remove ads