Minimum word/character count

Reynard

Legend
One thing I have noticed is that some people treat threads more like Facebook or other social media posts, and often to the detriment of discussion (but certainly not always). I know I sometimes revert to "Facebook mode" unintentionally, but I think that forums are generally better when folks take the time and energy to lay out their thoughts more extensively.

I wondeer: would it be possible or even desirable to create a minimum length for posts? Would that help in any way?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
One thing I have noticed is that some people treat threads more like Facebook or other social media posts, and often to the detriment of discussion (but certainly not always). I know I sometimes revert to "Facebook mode" unintentionally, but I think that forums are generally better when folks take the time and energy to lay out their thoughts more extensively.

I wondeer: would it be possible or even desirable to create a minimum length for posts? Would that help in any way?

In the immortal words of me, "Never use 100 words when a 10,000 word post with multiple digressions and nonsensical quotes would suffice."

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
43ab92ab8c9762f947184dd805fbd6a4.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Given how many people seem confused about the way paragraphs work and a general inability to get to the point, let's not require everyone to have a minimum character count.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ask me to write a 500 word response as a school or work project on any topic, and I'll struggle to finish in a week.

But one person who says something wrong on the internet, and I'll be over 500 words in 5 minutes...
The easiest way to find out correct information in MMORPGs is to ask the question in a public channel and then have a friend give incorrect info in response. Suddenly, the experts pour out of the woodwork to correct them, even if they had ignored the original request.

Remove ads