Minion Fist Fights

Moniker said:
I believe the intention is that Minions ALWAYS die whenever they're damaged. That statement doesn't take into account some missed Daily attacks still render damage, and appears to be an oversight.
Heck, the pre-gen fighter (I believe) from Keep on the Shadowfell has an at-will power that deals damage on a miss.

I believe that line fully takes into account that those powers exist. Otherwise, you do get the odd (although, corner case and highly DM-dependant) situation that Cadfan described.

Edit: Ninja'd, I guess.

Boarstorm

First Post
Moniker said:
I believe the intention is that Minions ALWAYS die whenever they're damaged. That statement doesn't take into account some missed Daily attacks still render damage, and appears to be an oversight.

Err... it seems to me to be the opposite case. They know that some missed attacks still render damage, so they decided to make minions hit-only to PREVENT that kind of cheese.

Edit: Hardcore ninja'd.

Kaffis

First Post
Moniker said:

Actually, I think it does take that into account. In fact, the minion appears to be the exception to said powers that do partial damage on misses.

Sojorn

First Post
Boarstorm said:
Err... it seems to me to be the opposite case. They know that some missed attacks still render damage, so they decided to make minions hit-only to PREVENT that kind of cheese.
The old wording confused the issue of auto-hits though, this new wording seems to indicate that damage auras do instantly kill minions.

I'm sure there'll be a section in the DMG or MM that explains EXACTLY what they mean though.

Korgoth

First Post
Wormwood said:
Your first mistake. ;)

Maybe so. :) But when I get interested in a fantasy game, part of it is imagining the world. I have to be able to do that somewhat consistently.

Imagine a bar full of minions. They get into a fight with each other. When some guy hits another guy with a chair or beer mug, does that guy automatically die?

It just seems strange. Like some people are way too tough and others are way too fragile.

Kaffis

First Post
Korgoth said:
Maybe so. :) But when I get interested in a fantasy game, part of it is imagining the world. I have to be able to do that somewhat consistently.

Imagine a bar full of minions. They get into a fight with each other. When some guy hits another guy with a chair or beer mug, does that guy automatically die?

It just seems strange. Like some people are way too tough and others are way too fragile.

See, the problem here is, you're assuming minions *can* get in a bar fight. Everybody knows that tavern brawls are PC activities. Thus, once said fight breaks out, the minions become PCs.

Cadfan

First Post
No, the problem is that you're assuming that "minion" is a characteristic of the identified NPC, rather than a characteristic of the relationship between the identified NPC and the PCs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases