Minis or Theatre of the Mind? (Survey)

For combat with more than 5 I will pull out minis. Exploration going into towns 99% theater of the mind

GameOgre

Adventurer
Miniatures of course!

We are playing a game and not some safe place friendship room everyone wins and nobody losses imagination friendship circle.

Aaron L

Hero
We never use miniatures. To the people in all of my gaming groups, using minis reduces the game to a tactical miniatures game instead of a role-playing game, a more complicated game of chess, and takes us out of our characters' minds and thinking "what would my character do in this situation" and puts us into the mindset of "what is the best tactical option for me (the player) to take in this situation?" And this isn't just a prejudiced opinion, we have used minis at various times and always ended up ditching them after not too long because we felt like it didn't work.

pogre

Legend
All minis - all the time. Scenery, buildings, dungeons, monsters, PCs - everything has to be 3d and well-painted. Encounter with a peasant farmer where the PCs are asking for directions? Yep, barn, house, stone fences, animals, fields, the farmer - all of it in glorious miniature!

I'm exaggerating, but barely.:heh:

GameOgre

Adventurer
We never use miniatures. To the people in all of my gaming groups, using minis reduces the game to a tactical miniatures game instead of a role-playing game, a more complicated game of chess, and takes us out of our characters' minds and thinking "what would my character do in this situation" and puts us into the mindset of "what is the best tactical option for me (the player) to take in this situation?" And this isn't just a prejudiced opinion, we have used minis at various times and always ended up ditching them after not too long because we felt like it didn't work.

It might not JUST be a prejudiced opinion but it is a prejudiced opinion.

It tells us far more about YOU and your limitations than about the use of miniatures in a role playing game. I assure you that miniatures no more break immersion for players than does rolling dice, writing hit point adjustments down or looking at the DM's scraggly face instead of seeing the Elf Princess.

I have played great role playing with and without them and have often found some players and DM's have a need for the added detail they bring to a game. at the same time some players and DM's find them limiting.

It's mostly all a matter of taste.

*Also it gives people yet another subject to argue and debate and use to prove that the next fellows game is little better than a more complicated version of chess! As if we needed more help in that department.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron L

Hero
In what way is it a prejudiced opinion? Prejudiced means pre-judging, as in asserting something is true without testing it. We have tested it, multiple times, and always found it to be lacking for us. That is the opposite of a prejudiced opinion.

Also, I said To the people in all of my gaming groups this was the case; I made no claims of it being a universal truth, and I made no value judgement about those who like to use miniatures. It is a matter of taste. Your hostility is misplaced and unwarranted. As to my "limitations", quite a few of these posts have been from people who use miniatures saying they do so because without them they are unable to keep track of movement and make tactical plans without them, which none my groups have ever had a problem with. We keep track of positioning, movement, Opportunity Attacks, and so forth just fine without requiring miniatures to mark it all out for us.

Vymair

First Post
For D&D encounters, miniatures for tactical reasons. For FATE, ORE and other similar systems, Theater of the Mind.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I used to use minis on complicated fights, but I've dropped them completely in the campaign I'm running.

I don't want to stop, clear the table, pull and find the right dungeon tiles, lay them out, find the adequate minis and only then start the battle.

And I especially don't want to be carrying extra weight on my back pack. MM+PHB+CoS+Notes+Die+Work laptop are already heavy enough :p

So now we simply point at the map to have a rough idea of positions and play it in our minds (which I feel makes it look more real)

Remove ads

Remove ads