• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minis & Paints &tc

Azure Trance

First Post
I said in an earlier thread in the general forum I was searching for minis for my PCs to use on the battlemat. Well, I found them (and then some stuff). Unfortunately the shipping is $9. I wondered if I should buy more to compensate for the high shipping charge; and then asked, what about paints?

While I click on the model previews they look outstanding with flocking and subtle highlights and shadows, I also saw them in an unadorned pewter ... which look quite boring. Should I bother getting paints, if only even primer? (Y'know, so people can't say it -isn't- painted). If I do get brushes and paints, then two more questions: 1) what company (Citadel, IKor, Nitro, Propaints, Vallejo) and 2) would paint go bad if opened and closed securely again? You know, for those times when I feel like doing stuff ... and then I don't.

pogre

Legend
These are huge questions for most miniature painters. If you have never painted before start with something like Reaper's starting set. It has the basic paints and some solid advice on painting.

Games Workshop often runs articles on how to get started - so you might check out their site.

BTW - This is going to be expensive getting started, but you are embarking on one of the most enjoyable hoobies out there. Enjoy!

Gizzard

First Post
While I click on the model previews they look outstanding with flocking and subtle highlights and shadows, I also saw them in an unadorned pewter ... which look quite boring.

A lot of the "unpainted" figures on websites arent even completely unpainted; someone quickly splashes some black inks on them, which then runs into the crevices and picks out the details for the camera. If you dont feel like going whole hog, you might try just finishing the mini (use an Xacto and a small file to smooth off the mold lines), priming it with a spray primer and then inking it quickly black.

Definitely, painting to the quality you'll see on coolminiornot.com (sort for figures which get an 8-10 score, wow!) will take some practice. I did a lot of my early work on a box of plastic GW Orcs; there are like 12 or 16 of the little guys and doing a similar figure over and over helped me figure out what works and what doesnt. And, when I was done, I had a big handful of Orcs, which is always useful for D&D. ;-)

Painfully

First Post
Just primer looks dull. You can choose white, grey, or black primer. Grey is probably best if you are not going to paint the figure.

A lot of people like GW paints (me too), but i find that their lids are absolutely junk. You can try to store the bottles upside down to prevent the paint from drying out, but I still find that I have problems. GW paints = bad IMO. I finally bought different containers to keep them in, but that just means more money that you shouldn't have to pay to keep your paints.

Reaper is good; no complaints. I especially like their different metallic colors. A good choice with less hassle than GW paints. They include a little skull bead inside to help break up the paint pigments too--a nice touch.

Vallejo is great, but they cost more money for less paint. If you're only painting a few minis then it's really a personal choice. More expensive paint won't make your mini look better if you are still learning to paint. I find that I really use their browns and dark blue colors the most. They are worth trying out once you learn what colors you like best.

Painted minis ALWAYS look better than unpainted ones. My goal with my first mini was just to keep skin color on the skin, boots color on boots, etc. It worked out very well, and even without shading or highlighting I was quite happy.

It's a great hobby if you like popscicles too. I use the sticks to hold my minis while I paint :)

You'll find a lot of good websites for more assistance. Read everything you can find on the net, then forget it all and just practice whatever feels right to you. Some things are just better learned through doing, and mini painting is one of those things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads