Painting minis; getting started

MGibster

Legend
Can someone explain to me what makes something a "speed paint?"
Speed paints, contrast paints, etc., etc. are designed for you to put one layer over the miniature and be done. It's formulated to flow into the nooks and crannies while leaving highlights in the raised areas simulating shading and highlighting. You can get satisfactory results using speed paints, especially if you just want a nice table top standard for the miniatures used in games.

@Sacrosanct's models above are a good example of a decent speed paint job.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Speed paints, contrast paints, etc., etc. are designed for you to put one layer over the miniature and be done. It's formulated to flow into the nooks and crannies while leaving highlights in the raised areas simulating shading and highlighting. You can get satisfactory results using speed paints, especially if you just want a nice table top standard for the miniatures used in games.

With speedpaints, slapchopping is the key. What is "slapchopping"? Basically, you prime and drybrush before putting on any paint. Without doing that, speedpaints aren't that good IMO. With it, they can turn out pretty well if you're in a hurry.

reelo

Hero
Here's two Anglo-Saxon huscarls with standard-bearer I painted a couple months ago. Minis by Victrix and paints by Vallejo.
aadfc68a147ac3c8bd1079f9c85ba560.jpg
4fd04ab2af431a1efce7becb08ad21ba.jpg

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus

With speedpaints, slapchopping is the key. What is "slapchopping"? Basically, you prime and drybrush before putting on any paint. Without doing that, speedpaints aren't that good IMO. With it, they can turn out pretty well if you're in a hurry.

Ha! That describes how I paint already! :ROFLMAO:

Andvari

Hero
Here's two Anglo-Saxon huscarls with standard-bearer I painted a couple months ago. Minis by Victrix and paints by Vallejo.
aadfc68a147ac3c8bd1079f9c85ba560.jpg
4fd04ab2af431a1efce7becb08ad21ba.jpg
These look great. It also looks like I need some Victrix minis. They look perfect for the Norse mythology homebrew game I want to run one day.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, I learned a lesson today. when using speed paints, do NOT brush on or dip varnish. Rattle cans are out, because the aresols tend to make the plastic get sticky. So the only I recommend varnishing speed painted minis (not metal) is to use an airbrush. The liquid will cause the speed paint to reactivate, and if you brush or dip, the paint comes running right off.

reelo

Hero
Well, I learned a lesson today. when using speed paints, do NOT brush on or dip varnish. Rattle cans are out, because the aresols tend to make the plastic get sticky. So the only I recommend varnishing speed painted minis (not metal) is to use an airbrush. The liquid will cause the speed paint to reactivate, and if you brush or dip, the paint comes running right off.
Reactivation is a well-known issue with Armypainter Speedpaints, unfortunately.

I have high hopes for the upcoming Vallejo Xpress colours.

Remove ads