Painting minis; getting started

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think after literal decades, time I revisit the paint jobs on my very first minis I got as a kid. Yes, some of these are from 1979 😉. I’m old lol. And yes, some of them I never got around to painting, but only primed. And others I’ve painted multiple times over the years. Back in the day when the only available paints to me in Ketchikan Alaska were Testors enamel paints for model cars.
87769F21-CEA3-4946-A394-A90E3069A1C7.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
I think after literal decades, time I revisit the paint jobs on my very first minis I got as a kid. Yes, some of these are from 1979 😉. I’m old lol. And yes, some of them I never got around to painting, but only primed. And others I’ve painted multiple times over the years. Back in the day when the only available paints to me in Ketchikan Alaska were Testors enamel paints for model cars.
While miniatures have gotten better over the years, I find those old models charming.

Sacrosanct

Legend
While miniatures have gotten better over the years, I find those old models charming.
Yeah, same. I'm still a bit bitter that miniature use went to a larger scale, essentially making it very odd to use some of my old favorites with modern minis. My barbarian looks tiny and...not nearly as imposing compared to a modern mini lol.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I glanced at that picture briefly, and there were only two of those figures I didn't instantly recognize, lol.

I love the old figures because a lot of them just have soo much character that the modern ones lack - skeletons almost all seemed to have individual personalities, and they weren't afraid to put out whimsical stuff like Grenadier's Comedy Lords set or Ral Partha's Texas Bob... One of my most prized old minis is the Ral Partha three-headed not-the-Three-Stooges troll...

MGibster

Legend
I have yet another Games Workshop giant I'm working on here. For some reason I used a red base coat following by a very light red highlight and then some coats of thinned down burnt sienna ink. It wasn't working at all so I switched gears. I used a highlight of dwarf flesh and followed that up with a few layers of a burnt sienna glaze and ended up with much mor satisfactory results. I used dwarf flesh plus some pink for the scar tissue. I went ahead and sprayed a matte varnish in order to protect what I have done so far. If you ever use inks, you're a risk of reactivating if you do any additional painting. I've got a lot more brush work to do on this dude to finish him.

Scarred Giant.JPG

MGibster

Legend
Here’s an update. I used some layering and dry brushing to add some more discoloration to the scarred areas. And then the teeth of course and the horns. I glazed on a few layers of sepia and a final glaze of red/sepia around where the horns growing out of the head.

Attachments

• 9732302E-9894-4E71-B79E-19C489E48E04.jpeg
    9732302E-9894-4E71-B79E-19C489E48E04.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

Remove ads