• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ML3's FREE Home Brew Monster Art

ml3

First Post
Hello everbody. Thanks for keeping this thread from going below page 1 while I've been away. My wife and I spent a week in Myrtle Beach with a pit stop in Sleepy Hollow on the way back!

Ferret, thank you for your post. Very considerate. However,everyone should feel free to post what they want. I do not and cannot promise that everyone of them will get done. Most will not in all likelyhood as I do this in my free time, which is rapidly dwindling. I will always be at work on something though. I would also like to point out that the creatures I present here are the ones that grab my attention and inspire an illustration. That is not to say that some of the entries are better than others, just that some of them force an image into my mind.

Right now I am working on crab claw's Aunggor, but I'm not thrilled with the first color version I did. May still be a while. In the mean time keep sending them in.

Thanks again

Ferret

Explorer
Cool. Sorry is I was being assanine or however it is spelt. I've seen it happen before though.....

Can't wait to see more art.

Torx

First Post
Perhaps an idea for a monster illustration:

The Corr - basic overall structure looks similar to an umber hulk. Only one set of eyes, off to the side of the head. The eyes are rather large, but more mammilian and less insectoid. They do have an exoskeleton varying in shades of grays, blues, and blacks. Their hands, just above the wrist, are able to detach. They can actually propel their hands outward for about 10'. A thick, reddish membrane attaches the hand back to a slightly hollow forearm.

The race is very intelligent and there are as many magic users as there are warriors. They do dress in clothing (in my mind it's of a colorful ancient persian or arabic style).

Give them a go if you like! Thanks in advance.

ml3

First Post
Connorsrpg said:
Ibisils

Of striking note, ibisils have no wings. Myths vary why this is so, many claiming that they were stolen by Set, or burnt off in ages past. Evidence of their existence remains in the form of small nodules protruding from the back of each shoulder. These bumps are very sensitive and are areas of great pain and pleasure to ibisils.
(These are in an Egyptian-like culture and are very bookish)

Connors

Does this mean they have no arms or would they have been six limbed creatures with legs arms and wings?

Sylvaroth

First Post
Wow! Great work in both art and writing. All I can say is 'awesome'! :eek:

Hopefully somebody in here might find my little creations interesting enough to invest some time on doing one pic or two ;). Here are their descriptions:

The Tharsûnian dwarves:
Dwarves with stone colored skin (sometimes with veines like marble), oftentimes bald, eye color of precious metals (gold would be cool), very well muscled, short or rasta braided beards, lightly pointed ears, maybe a (red) dragon tattoo on the temple(s). A priest would be wearing a hooded robe (mostly red or crimson with golden highlights). A warrior would wear armor with a hooded mail cape (maybe some dragon parts on the armor eg. scales, claws, teeth, bones). The priest holding a staff or cepter with a stilized hammer on the top (something like the Hammer of Kharas from Dragon Lance) in the one hand a heavy holy tome in the other hand (runes and forge symbols on the cover, some metal pieces). The warrior wielding a two-bladed sword that somehow resembles a battleaxe. They are native outsiders with some connection to both the Elemental Planes of Earth and Fire, their nemesis are red dragons and their allies are holy stone and fire elementals with the souls of deceased dwarven heroes (encased in the soulfire stones those elementals carry) sent by their god .

The Aerlhún:
At first sight Aerlhún are often mistaken for humans. Although mammalian and humanoid in appearance the Aerlhún also show some avian and reptilian vestiges (eg. their thick hair that evolved from feathers and the fact that they are oviparous).
Aerlhún lay their eggs in caves wich are called collective womb. This is the place where all eggs are laid and hatched. Usually the eggs are entrrusted with particularly skillful individuals called brood fosterers, but brood care is in general a sacred task to the whole community.
They can fly (no wings) powered by their will and magic granted by their god.
The Aerlhún typically stand from a little over 4 1/2 to 7 feet tall and weigh from 70 to 140 pounds, with men noticeably taller and heavier than women. Despite their low weight they have well built and athletic bodies that could have inspired the aesthetic criteria of old Greek sculptors. Their skin shade is usually a light blue with patterns of blues and greens that resemble the reflections of the light underwater. Their hair is usually silvery white sometimes with very light greenish or bluish shades and streaks of darker greens or blues. Their hair consists of hundreds of very thick single hairs.
The color of their eyes is that of precious metals with pale silver and gold being the most common. Aerlhún have no facial or body hair.
Their favored classes are ranger and druid.
An Aerlhún reaches adulthood at about 120 years of age and can live to be more than 700 years old. By the age of 400 years most Aerlhún are completely bald. Advancing in age Aerlhún become more and more frail up to a point where they become almost unable to perform physical activities, while their mental abilities grow to admirable dimensions.
Aerlhún do not die of old age, but eventually leave their almost burnt out physical body behind to ascend to a state of pure sentient energy. These spirits, also called Alhgonnáre are their god's proxies and emissaries.

The Amazarakh:
A reptilian stellar empire from which all other reptilian humanoids descended. They have some draconic features (no wings), and black scaly hides. They start as bipedal humalike creatures (lokking a little like emmerich's version of Godzilla) growing with age finally being too heavy (not to say fat) hence moving on all fours. They have long tails (like dragons). They are almost godlike in their use of negative energies and magic (necromancers). They ruled for some millenia over great parts of the universe and enslaved an ape like race that eventually evolved to become humans. I'd die to see a pic of a young Amazarakh necromancer or of an old one that is connected to a human (looking like a neandertal) slave with the chain around the masters neck.

Hope somebody likes those and helps me out a little. Looking forward!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Does this mean they have no arms or would they have been six limbed creatures with legs arms and wings?

They do have scrawny arms. (They would have been six-limbed, yes).

I guess they are kind of fragile representations of Thoth. ;)

I very much looking forward to a pic, if you have infact chosen one of mine.

Keep it up. Love what I have seen so far.

Connors

Last edited:

crabclaw

First Post
ml3 said:
Right now I am working on crab claw's Aunggor, but I'm not thrilled with the first color version I did.
Hey ml3, send me the black and white .tiff via e-mail and I will color it -- I am quite good at coloring using PhotoShop.

send to: cmccann01@comcast.net

I will post it back on this thread or e-mail it to you -- either way credits to you.

Please,
CC

ml3

First Post
crabclaw said:
Hey ml3, send me the black and white .tiff via e-mail and I will color it -- I am quite good at coloring using PhotoShop.

send to: cmccann01@comcast.net

I will post it back on this thread or e-mail it to you -- either way credits to you.

Please,
CC
My B&W's don't translate so well on their own. They are a little sketchy. I've actually started a new color version that so far is looking better. Thanks for waiting. It won't be long now. I wasn't worried about the credit but thanks for thinking of it.

Last edited:

fourthmensch

First Post
Hey, I just noticed this thread, and if anyone wants to give these creatures a go that would be wonderful...

In a homebrew world that I've been developing, illithids are a common race, and rule an empire on the backs of monstrous slaves. As a way to allow the PCs a chance to get in on some of this action, I created a kind of "illithid-touched" race. LA +0, mostly human in appearance, with relatively subtle evidence of their illithid blood.

Honestly, I haven't firmly visualized these suckers (pun somewhat intended), but I wanted them to be something not-quite horrifying. Maybe human in appearance with pink-purple tinged skin, with vestigal tentacles around their mouths that look something like a goatee (ala gold dragon).

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to draw these fellows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads