• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MM2 - what monsters are you excited to try?

Mentat55

First Post
A Solo: I am curious to see how the tweaked Solo math in the MM2 fares.

Dagon, Abyssal Rotfiend: No other reason except that I love the artwork.

Barghest: Leveled up to fit into my paragon-tier game, where the PCs are about to deal with some goblinoids.

All the new fey origin creatures: Again for my paragon-tier game, which involves the Feywild a lot. Especially the myconids, new fomorians, and centaurs. Maybe even an eldritch giant, too.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I cannot wait to use a Rhemoraz in my game. My party is 5th level, however, so I'll be waiting a little while.

I did get the chance to use the Rust Monster, both on game day and in last night's game. I've fielded four rust monsters so far, and each one has claimed a piece of magical gear. One more and I have a rusting spree... :D

Pale Jackal

First Post
The new Gnolls and Witherlings. They're somewhat interesting on their own, but as a whole, I like what they've done with Gnoll culture.

Barghest power steal is cool.

Warforged Resounder has a grab-bag of interesting powers, including Collision, which is similar to a power I gave the MM1 hydras ("two-headed fling") but I have not yet tried out.

Felltaint Feeders are cool. Can't wait to use them against some higher level PCs, but with some innocent bystanders nearby.

Anything that spawns minions. The Black Pudding's ability is nicely flavorful.

Star Spawn are cool, particularly the first two. The Black Hole-type aura is particularly nice on the Maw of Acamar.

The Hobgoblin Fleshcarver also looks fun, I'm enjoying elite humanoids, even if nothing really jumps out at me. I recently put the Human Knifedancer to good use.

AngryMojo

First Post
Ghost Legionnaires are quite simply one of the coolest ideas for a monster I've seen. Shared HP? Say goodbye to focus fire tactics and a real re-thinking of how to handle a group. Call of History? Such a cool idea for skills in combat.

Pale Jackal

First Post
Ghost Legionnaires are quite simply one of the coolest ideas for a monster I've seen. Shared HP? Say goodbye to focus fire tactics and a real re-thinking of how to handle a group. Call of History? Such a cool idea for skills in combat.

Agreed. I don't like the exact execution, but change it around a little, and I love it. I'd personally give out the bonus damage once the PCs begin replicating the battle somehow, such as by driving the ghosts towards the river where they were eventually slaughtered.

Rechan

Adventurer
For me it's what Aren't I eager to use. ;)

The Neldrazu are pretty cool. Definitely feel like the Avenger's 'nab and teleport your enemy' schtick. Same with the Nycademon. Like the Ankheg, and other "abduction" monsters.

All the Vines. I actually really dig the Half-Orcs, and the Humans. (Although I think the Hexer's "You're now an animal for around" is dumb). Shadar-Kai. Been wanting to use the Will'o'Wisp for some time.

Oddly, the Wood Woad. And of course the Fell Taint and Pod Demon.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I haven't seen the book yet so am only working off the compendium but I am really looking forward to using the mammoth with its ability to toss targets into the air so that they also take falling damage. Great visual!

fba827

Adventurer
I have been looking up most all those mentioned here. As a general comment, color me impressed! I like the unique mechanics presented - they make the monsters more than just a sack of hp.

All the stuff mentioned so far will definately be seeing some form of play at my game tables (with my usual spin, so if my players are reading this, don't get too immersed in studying these monsters as they are)

.... ;)

AllisterH

First Post
More monsters I think have unique and interesting schticks (or the whole package rocks..)

General mechanic - "As I die, I'll spit in your face" power that many critters have (e.g. Frost Giant's Dying Swipe attack) - So at least the monster can say.."at least I did something"

Eldritch Giant's "Consume Magic" gives this giant an immediate and nice trademark. I love it ...no more Hill vs stone giant sort of bleh...

Stone Titan's Avalanche Stomp is neat and I'm thinking of how nasty a DM could be with anything that can lockdown a PC

Grey Render - The entire package...especially the "Body Sweep" ability...It reads like what I thought a BRUTE should fight like..Simply doing high damage and literally grabbing whatever is around it for a weapon.

The Half-elf Baleful Thaumaturge is the perfect allround package to pair up with any monster that locks a PC down...

Human Hexer's Beast Curse - and yes, I do have the perfect mini to replace the PC that gets hit by this..

Mammoth's Tusk toss FTW!!!

Remove ads