(MME) Is it just me...

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
...or is Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium the best thing to happen to 4e since, well, pretty much since 4e?

I just had a chance to flip through it today, and wow, I'm impressed. Items with flavour and crunch. Flails finally get support. Henchmen get made into actual rules. Quick rules for building structures. Levelling up items (yay! another way off the item economy treadmill!). Quest Items. Artifacts. Curses. Curses! Sweet!

In short, this is what both Adventurer's Vaults should have been. Just excellent, cover to cover. I'll be buying it shortly.

Dice4Hire

First Post
The world would be a much better place if people could do at first try what they can do with years of experience behind them.

But glad to hear it is a good book, I just hope this will not turn into WOTC bashing.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
The thing is, they could have done this from the start. This is the result of them actually starting to listen to what the fans wanted, instead of just saying, "this is 4e; hope you like it (and if you don't, then you're doing it wrong)."

You're right though, I don't want this to turn into another WotC-bashing thread. I was just trying to start something positive, like a thread I saw the other day. So here it is.

It's a great book. I can't recommend it highly enough. I can't wait until it's all in the builder and compendium!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
No donkeyhorses of any kind, nor does it contain any other animals/mounts.

However, it does have quite a few other neato mundane items, such as the legendary '10-foot pole' and you can even buy a jar of glow-worms. There are gamblers' cheats, as well as a sidebar with some quickie gambling rules that look a lot like the ones I made up last year.

Quickleaf

Legend
Nemesis Destiny said:
I just had a chance to flip through it today, and wow, I'm impressed. Items with flavour and crunch.
Lembas bread?

Henchmen get made into actual rules. Quick rules for building structures.
Do you know if these are the same rules that appeared in Dragon? Where a stronghold is worth a level 15 magic item, and hirelings cost wbout potion gp value per day?

Levelling up items (yay! another way off the item economy treadmill!). Quest Items.
Are these the same thing? You mean legacy magic items that grow with the wielded right?

I'll be buying it shortly.
Heh. Thought you already had it! Oh well, questions still apply :)

S'mon

Legend
Do you know if these are the same rules that appeared in Dragon? Where a stronghold is worth a level 15 magic item, and hirelings cost wbout potion gp value per day?

Makes sense if 'per day' means "per day of dungeon crawling". :D
Otherwise I suggest using those numbers as "per month" instead.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I'm only part of the way through it but it is a pretty good book. There are many items that have unique, non-combat abilities, which is one thing that I missed in magic items from 3.5 to 4E.

One big downfall is that there are a number of items from previous sources that were repeated in it. The repeated items may have been slightly altered for ease of interpretation or the name changed. But it's disappointing to pick up a new book with reprinted material in it.

Are these the same thing? You mean legacy magic items that grow with the wielded right?

I haven't gotten to the quest item section yet but from a quick perusal I think they're magic items that are plot devices. And their abilities are described in a narrative sense instead of having tactical mechanics like magic items that the PCs normally equip.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Lembas bread?
Didn't see any. I thought that was a PHB item? Journey Bread or something? Yeah, that was it. It's in the compendium, the PHB, and "multiple sources."

The hireling rules appear to be the same ones as from Dragon 395. The rules for buildings are different, however, and do not include all the rooms that act like crappy magic items. In fact, they are not specific enough to include rooms at all, but are prices for entire castles.

They are not the same. The rules presented for levelling up magic items are just guidelines for the DM to follow in case a player decides they want to keep the items that they have and how much it costs in gold/residuum to "buy them up" to the next level, or how much to take out of the rest of the treasure.

Quest Items are also basically just MacGuffins. One of the examples used were Jack's magic beans. Wednesday Boy has it right.

Heh. Thought you already had it! Oh well, questions still apply :)
;)

Incenjucar

Legend
I picked this up last night. I'm not that impressed by it, especially since it duplicates many items I already paid for in the AV and has large chunks of HUGE font text to take up as much space as humanly possible in addition to the already extensive fluff blocks, and frankly the fluff text just calls to mind the Forgotten Realms "All these NPCs are better than you" concept which rather grates on me. It doesn't seem to be a bad book, but with all the filler and copy-pasted content, it feels overpriced.

Remove ads