D&D 5E Modern and Sci fi for D&D 5th edition

dwayne

Adventurer
I have backed many a kick starter for these type of things and thought would post them all here for others to pick up a book on the subject if they would like to.

The Spy Game: 5th Edition Action/Espionage Roleplaying Game
This has no magic but does have Ki for martial arts, and is close to the old d20 modern but very much improved

Rocket Age RPG for 5e
A bit like the old flash gordon and buck rogers of old, but does have some good uses.

Spaceships & Starwyrms: A 5e Sci-Fi Game
Spell jammer but with real looking future ships not boats in space, magic and ray guns

GeneFunk 2090
This again has no magic and is just a future setting and rules for mutants and genetic alterations and such

Ultramodern5, a 5E universal sci-fi sourcebook
Now if you are looking for everything and the kitchen sick then this is the book, name it and you can do it from this book, if horror, sci fi, modern, fantasy/modern/future. Heck man make a time traveling robot that uses magic powered crystals and lazer pistols, while riding a Velociraptor that is smart.

My opinion is WotC has got plans about a d20 Modern 2.0. but it needs a lot of work for playtesint to find the right balance of power with the firearms and high-tech. How to explain it better? Usually with gunpowder the PCs can use guns but nobody has thought about when PCs are from a lower technologic level. Do you remember the Jakandor mini-setting? Now let's imagine being invaded by steampunk mechas. Neither Conan nor Tarzan can face Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers with a ray gun. Somebody will want to play superheroes, but the last D&D edition isn't ready for an event as skrull secret invasion, or an survival horror game when PCs are ordinary civilians and they face superheroes turned monsters (DC Darkest Night, Marvel Zombies, DCeseaded, Leaving Megalopolis, Super Zombies).

I call it "Cobretti effect" when PCs without enough weapons can't face enemies. In Sylvester Stallone's movie "Cobra" Bridgitte Nielsen's character couldn't face night stalker and she had to hide and run away like in a survival horror, but in the final fight Cobretti with enough ammo could be a true one-man-army to kill all the members of the New Dawn Cult, like in a classic shooter arcade.

Have you played Fortnite: Save the world? Do guess what happen when you have spent all the ammo and you have to face horde of husks hand-to-hand, without a ninja class with the right combo. Or you play with the ninja and a right combo and when you want to save ammo for the next missions you are attacked by husks with ranged attack.

You can play Street Fighters d20 or Overwatch d20 but both groups of characters can't be in the same game. Martial artist can't survive omnic crisis with only their fists. You can create a d20 version of the characters from Mortal Kombat, but these can't face demons from "Doom Eternal" without heavy weapons.

How is the XP reward when you can kill an elephant (or a dinosaur) with only a shot, or to drive a truck or an armored vehicle to run over a horde of zombies?

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
My opinion is WotC has got plans about a d20 Modern 2.0. but it needs a lot of work for playtesint to find the right balance of power with the firearms and high-tech. How to explain it better? Usually with gunpowder the PCs can use guns but nobody has thought about when PCs are from a lower technologic level. Do you remember the Jakandor mini-setting? Now let's imagine being invaded by steampunk mechas. Neither Conan nor Tarzan can face Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers with a ray gun. Somebody will want to play superheroes, but the last D&D edition isn't ready for an event as skrull secret invasion, or an survival horror game when PCs are ordinary civilians and they face superheroes turned monsters (DC Darkest Night, Marvel Zombies, DCeseaded, Leaving Megalopolis, Super Zombies).

I call it "Cobretti effect" when PCs without enough weapons can face enemies. In Sylvester Stallone's movie "Cobra" Bridgitte Nielsen's character couldn't face night stalker and she has to hide and run away like in a survival horror, but in the final fight Cobretti with enough ammo could be a true one-man-army to kill all the members of the New Dawn Cult, like in a classic shooter arcade.

Have you played Fortnite: Save the world? Do guess what happen when you have spent all the ammo and you have to face horde of husks hand-to-hand, without a ninja class with the right combo. Or you play with the ninja and a right combo and when you want to save ammo for the next missions you are attacked by husks with ranged attack.

You can play Street Fighters d20 or Overwatch d20 but both groups of characters can't be in the same game. Martial artist can't survive omnic crisis with only their fists. You can create a d20 version of the characters from Mortal Kombat, but these can't face demons from "Doom Eternal" without heavy weapons.
Your post reminded me to play Doom 2016, in preparation for my "Escape from Hell" Megadungeon campaign, thanks!

Off-topic, but Doom: Eternal looks excellent.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I have backed many a kick starter for these type of things and thought would post them all here for others to pick up a book on the subject if they would like to.

The Spy Game: 5th Edition Action/Espionage Roleplaying Game
This has no magic but does have Ki for martial arts, and is close to the old d20 modern but very much improved

Rocket Age RPG for 5e
A bit like the old flash gordon and buck rogers of old, but does have some good uses.

Spaceships & Starwyrms: A 5e Sci-Fi Game
Spell jammer but with real looking future ships not boats in space, magic and ray guns

GeneFunk 2090
This again has no magic and is just a future setting and rules for mutants and genetic alterations and such

Ultramodern5, a 5E universal sci-fi sourcebook
Now if you are looking for everything and the kitchen sick then this is the book, name it and you can do it from this book, if horror, sci fi, modern, fantasy/modern/future. Heck man make a time traveling robot that uses magic powered crystals and lazer pistols, while riding a Velociraptor that is smart.
Thanks, I will check these out.

I could bet we will see the return of Spelljammer in 5th Ed because it is perfect for Hasbro to sell toys with vehicles and action figures. But it needs playtesting for the right XP reward in navy battles where they can kill monsters with giant crossbows to "farm" and a faster leveling-up.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Carbon 2185
Cyberpunk rpg created by Dragon Turtle Games due to be released in 2019. Carbon 2185 is all about telling stories in a dark dystopian future influenced by franchises such as Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Deus Ex.

The core mechanics and rules of Carbon 2185 are built using, and developed from the OGL, so anybody who has experience with this game system has a unique advantage in learning these new rules. That being said, experience is not necessary, and in our playtests, new players picked up the streamlined rules by the end of the first session.

Esper Genesis
Galaxies at war, high-tech gadgets and weapons, robots, aliens, starfighters, and ancient machines with the power to shape reality - All of these make the core of Esper Genesis, powered by the 5th Edition rules of the world's greatest roleplaying game. Taking on the role of a galactic hero, you can forge your destiny within a universe of advanced technologies and hidden mysteries.

dwayne

Adventurer
Carbon 2185
Cyberpunk rpg created by Dragon Turtle Games due to be released in 2019. Carbon 2185 is all about telling stories in a dark dystopian future influenced by franchises such as Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Deus Ex.

The core mechanics and rules of Carbon 2185 are built using, and developed from the OGL, so anybody who has experience with this game system has a unique advantage in learning these new rules. That being said, experience is not necessary, and in our playtests, new players picked up the streamlined rules by the end of the first session.

Esper Genesis
Galaxies at war, high-tech gadgets and weapons, robots, aliens, starfighters, and ancient machines with the power to shape reality - All of these make the core of Esper Genesis, powered by the 5th Edition rules of the world's greatest roleplaying game. Taking on the role of a galactic hero, you can forge your destiny within a universe of advanced technologies and hidden mysteries.

Heard about the carbon one didn't know was 5th edition and have the esper basic set rules it is good, but has it's own feel to it in many ways. Still say the ultramodern 5 covers more and has more room to expand and let the creative GM run wild with the options and rules in the book it's self and still being very true to the basics of 5th edition. I back it the most because i had the 4th and the original 5th editions of his books. Thanks for the info on Carbon 2185 just picked it up and looked at the rule book interesting, but still think i prefer the ultramodern to it though.

Last edited:

Remove ads