Mods shutting down threads for threadcrapping

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Re '+' threads - my only concern with those is that someone starting one might just want an echo chamber; and IMO the biggest barrier to real discourse and discussion (be it civil or otherwise) in all venues is people either constructing or hiding in echo chambers where opposing or contrary points of view are simply not allowed. A '+' thread for discussing and refining a proposed new idea for the game before opening it up to criticism? Sure. A '+' thread for discussing anything more meaningful? Bad idea IMO.
IME, echo chambers are exceptionally difficult to actually create and maintain. You are going to experience challenge to your ideas.

+threads are extremely useful when discussing something controversial in a context wherein that controversy just is not relevant and would only serve to derail the thread, such as threads I’ve made about building warlord or swordmage classes.

If I make a thread about disliking the 5e magic system, and wanting feedback on my proposed replacement, it’s bad practice to come and try to convince me that i shouldn’t try to do that.
They don't actively engage any more, which is too bad; but does anyone know whether WotC quietly monitors these boards (officially or not) as a source of unfiltered and informal feedback? I think I'd at least try to high-level monitor sites like this were I in charge, if I could spare the person-power, as it would be a useful feet-on-the-ground information source untainted by the marketing department's survey designing.
And instead tainted by self-selection, and the skew of these forums.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They don't actively engage any more, which is too bad; but does anyone know whether WotC quietly monitors these boards (officially or not) as a source of unfiltered and informal feedback?

Obviously, I don't know one way or the other. However, I do know that depending on them doing so is playing it passive-aggressively. Like a kid in Junior High School talking to a friend really loudly hoping that a third party would hear it.

This is not how mature folks communicate. If you want them to know something tell THEM. Don't tell us and hope the word gets around.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So… we have to keep discussion to the mechanical errata even though the news is kinda big right now?!? Are you naughty word KIDDING ME?

No. Not kidding.

And also recommending you watch your language. The language filter is not there so you can fill posts with the emotional content of expletives without consequence.

Riley

Legend
I think it took me a good 5-6 names to sort out almost all bad-faith arguments and chronic downers.
Reviewing my ignore list today, I have a fairly long list (~100!), accumulated over many, many years. Many of the accounts on there are now deleted/banned, or haven’t posted in years. (Yay?)

When I’m reading a thread on a fairly innocuous topic, I’ll often click through to read the posts of those I’ve ignored. Sometimes I’ll unignore them, because they seem to often be worth reading.

But that ignore list has definitely made my time on ENWorld happier, and kept me out of needless conflicts with people who usually end up getting kicked out of the offending threads by mods anyway.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re '+' threads - my only concern with those is that someone starting one might just want an echo chamber; and IMO the biggest barrier to real discourse and discussion (be it civil or otherwise) in all venues is people either constructing or hiding in echo chambers where opposing or contrary points of view are simply not allowed.

With respect, moving into echo chambers is a symptom, a result of other behaviors, not the root problem/barrier.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Question for the moderators:

There's a pretty major news update to the topic of the thread that got shut down (not just the errata, but an official statement from WotC on D&D Beyond). How would you want that news to be handled?

Managing the news is normally Morrus' thing, but he may be occupied. Barring word from him...

While this is valid news, it isn't what I'd expect to be a fast-developing story, as most of WotC is probably off for the long weekend now. So, the situation is going to be roughly the same early next week - we can reassess at that time how it should be handled.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is always the best response to the "vote with your dollars" idea. If all you ever do it vote with your dollars, then any company that does see a drop in sales has to guess as to why. And they might very well get it wrong.
This has been my practice for I don’t know how long. Decades at least. Learned from my Mom, The Queen of All Shoppers.

I do vote with my dollars. And in extreme cases (good* or bad), I contact the company directly. Sometimes, the results are more or less what I desired. Sometimes here’s no result I can discern. Sometimes, the “other side” wins.

Sometimes- comically- I get coupons or gift cards to entice me to shop with them again. Whether I use them or not depends on the particular complaint in question.

* One of my customer comments was helpful in getting an assistant manager a raise…18 months before his location was closed by the parent company.

Remove ads