• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Module for evil party?

Anavel Gato

First Post
What I like to do is use published Good-aligned characters to fight the evil party. Good NPC's could have been hired to put a stop to a band of surface raiding drow. Also, an evil thing to do to players with evil characters is have them fight their good characters in a bar or in a town that the two happen to be in.

In all published NPC's that are good are great things to drop into an adventure where the evil party is adventuring. By published I mean books like Enemies and Allies or 1001 villians or even other adventures.

My group recently had to fight the iconic characters who were hired by some wealty high elves to stop the Drow who had destroyed thier trade caravan. It's always interesting...

David Argall

First Post
evil adventures

You might try the Thieves Guild series, if you can find them. The last address I have is GameLords, Ltd., 18616 Grosbeak Terrace, gaithersburg, MD 20879, and is 20 years old.

However, the series does provide a few adventures and a host of rules and aids for running a "I want to get rich and I don't care who gets hurt" evil campaign.

deathwalker11

First Post
published adventures are fine provided the adventurers are payed!

i run an evil group consisting of a cannibalistic kobold druid a halfling rogue with a disturbing love of fire a violent dwarf barbarian with atrocious personal hygiene and a generically mean, greedy half elf. they have been fighting thru published campaigns for good characters the only difference has been that they executed the gnome prisoners they found in the villains dungeon and in between adventures they have spontaneously done evil actions including a cow tipping expedition resulting in 2 murders. at present they are running an adventure of my own devising where they work for a crime syndicate

perhaps my best dnd experience ever has been playing a lone evil character in a good party and actively plotting against them.

also having played an evil character it is my experience that its best for evil characters to devise evil plots for themselves.

A few years ago I converted X4 Master of the Desert Nomads and X5Temple of Death to
3rd Ed. I ran it for an evil party made up of 4 goblins, 1 human and a bugbear. The adventure
was approached by the PC's as mercenaries. It worked well. :)

We're planning a new campaign saga for EN World, and I think this time around it'll be pretty easy to be evil if you tweak just a few things. You'd need to be smart evil, though, not the rampaging sort.

Crothian

First Post
As most modules are just go in and kill everything and gather treasure I'm thinking "Are their any modules for good PCs?" is a better question. :D

With a little work altering the motivation for the adventure though I can't see why most modules can't work for any alignment.

Janx

Hero
THREE DAYS TO KILL by John Tynes from Atlas Games; the first d20 third party published adventure. The PCs are hired to assassinate a specific target without causing too much carnage. Lots of good role-play opportunities, a colorful cast of NPCs to interact with, all in a great "party-town" (holding a festival of sinful delights!). Very nice module for any non-good PCs (esp. those with stealth skills), as it involves murder for hire and unscrupulous NPCs with sinister motives out to use them.

I hated that adventure. But then, we we a party of good PCs, and the GM decided to run a published adventure for the first time, and he picked that, in our pre-existing campaign. it pretty much killed the campaign.

I think, being 'good' characters, we somehow did it wrong. Because once we got the hook, we pretty much pursued it, and missed all the good stuff.

Janx

Hero
Part of the problem in running an evil campaign (or running any campaign) is understanding the motivations of the characters.

Why are the characters "EVIL"? Why aren't they "HEROES"?

Are they greedy? Do they enjoy murder and mayhem? Do they hate Elminister? etc.

Once you identify the individual motivations, you can then work on a plot that might appeal to most (or hopefully all) of the party.

Tom

Goals are crucial.

I can't help you on a specific module, I don't use them.

Find out what the PCs want for goals. then provide opportunities to pursue those goals. Have a thief? Let him see NPCs with dangling purses walking alone from bars, rich merchant houses with inadequate security, etc.

Also, read this blog entry by Juergen Hubert:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/blogs/juergen-hubert/920-path-evil.html

It has some pretty good advice on satiating the need to be evil, while maintaining some sanity in your campaign. Versus it turning into a PCs on the run and are killing everything constantly, rather than building up to be "real" villains.

a very long time ago, I whipped up some rules/tables for solo adventuring that I called "Thieves night out", which was basically randome encounter tables for finding opportunities on the street, running from cops, and rooftop chases. I might be inspired to re-invent that...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads