• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moment of Glory

S'mon

Legend
As for minions, well I gave them a Damage Threshold so they stick around a bit longer, but generally I've moved to replacing them with simply designed, lower level monsters - replacing 5th level minions with 1st level standard monsters, for instance. I halve all monster hp so they still die quickly, but now they feel 'real'.

Pentius

First Post
It would seem my Cleric-Fu has been outed as weak. I submit.

Doesn't work for me, I can never be sure in advance exactly which players & PCs will be at each session, and I'm not good at nerfing encounters on the fly. Most importantly perhaps, I tend to run fairly 'realistic' sandbox games where there is often only 1 fight in an adventuring day, with an occasional 3-fight delve. Unless there's an obvious time pressure I'm not sure why PCs with an 'I-win Daily' would even want to fight more than 1 encounter/day, though.

But it's interesting to see other DM's approaches; helps me see that if WoTC isn't designing for my game, then I need to adapt their stuff accordingly. This applies to various reliably encounter-ending Dailies. Whereas these Dailies are apparently much less harmful in other sorts of campaigns.
What I'd probably do in a game like that(other than go mad, I hate irregular attendance) is to design each fight with a key element 'attached' to each possible character. So, for example, for our MoG Cleric, it might be a minion buffing field around a big bad, and say, 2-4 extra minions. If the MoG Cleric doesn't show up, I know what to cut.

I must say, though, if I ran 1 fight per adventuring day, I'd get tired of it, too. Along with most dailies, I imagine.

Raikun

First Post
Most importantly perhaps, I tend to run fairly 'realistic' sandbox games where there is often only 1 fight in an adventuring day, with an occasional 3-fight delve. Unless there's an obvious time pressure I'm not sure why PCs with an 'I-win Daily' would even want to fight more than 1 encounter/day, though.

That right there causes more imbalances in a game than any one daily power. 4E is just not equipped well to deal with the 5 minute combat workday.

As a DM having seen this power in action: It's strong and very noticeable. Eve at early paragon it can still be. Daze and Stun effects are always annoying for players, so using more of it is just a kind of "annoyance" spiral. I am annoyed because my monsters don't do any damage, and react by annoying you with daze and stuns. I don't like it.

The Cleric in my campaign is actually using 3 first Level Daily powers at early Paragon Level, each giving significant boost to healing or resistance. I don't know remember their names now, unfortunately. It means he is even _really_ prepared for a single fight, or he can cover 3 encounters a day, which is usually pretty much the number of encounters you might get anyway (that is part of the campaign or play-group dynamic. We don't play as often as we used to, and expecting to remember which powers were active 2 months after the fight is a bit much. Notes get lost.)

Edit:
I also seem to remember the character has an item that can give you back a single power as a daily power. But I don't know if this applies to this power or one of his other abilities.

Possible Change
This is bound to collide with some other powers, but one change could be:
Until the end of the encounter, the target gains 5 temporary hit points at the end of its turn.

This will still negate a lot of damage, but not all of it. (The end of turn limitation ensures that this isn't a must-have for anyone that has to start his turn with temporary hit points for some kind of benefit.)

Alternatively:
Until the end of the encounter, the target gains Resist 5 while bloodied.
This kinda violates the spirit of the power, as the "moment of glory" only applies when you get seriously injured, but it means that players still take a significant amount of damage, and it encourages "gambling" - stay bloodied to take less damage, hoping no one will hit you too hard. The time a player character is bloodied, a lot of minions might already be dead.

Last edited:

Remove ads