(Mongoose) June Releases

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi guys,

The 'big four' (Fighter, Rogue, Cleric & Wizard) are coming out first, for obvious reasons of popularity and it was always our intention to see how well they went before committing ourselves fully to this line. However, it is fairly clear that there is an extremely strong demand for these books (we upped the print run of Fighter and it still sold out in less than a month - the reprint is being done this week) far beyond that which we expected, hence our announcement on starting the race-based Quintessential books.

Overall, I would be very keen to see every class and race detailed eventually (there is nothing quite like having the entire set of something), but it kinda depends on you guys :) So long as the Quintessential line remains popular, more books will be released, though I imagine the 'big four' will always be the best sellers in this series. That said though, we are also planning a few 'special' books, the first of which will be out around September, that will broaden the horizons of the series somewhat, thus keeping it fresh with material that has not been seen up to now.

The one thing I want to do is make every class and race actually feel different - the main target with this is the Wizard and Sorcerers books. I have a feeling many players think them a little too similar to each other in the PHB, and so we will look to put a crowbar inbetween them and make them a little more distinct - the trick, of course, is to do this without 'breaking' any of the current rules, but we have a few ideas. . .

We have pooled our main writing talents for these books to ensure each is the best that it can possibly be, rather than degenerating in an ever-decreasing spiral that another, very similar, series started to do at the end of its cycle. So, Sam Witt (Chaos Magic) has completed Cleric, already started on the second race-based book (announced next month) and has requested a third (!). Mike Mearls did Rogue, due out in a week or so, and is already tearing through Wizard. Alejandro Melchor (Constructs, due out early March, watch out for it, he did a superb job!) is doing The Quintessential Elf and has expressed a (very) strong interest in making Bards everything they can be. So, in terms of actual production, there will be no shortage of new ideas.

Hope that answers your question!

Doc_Souark

Explorer
spells

I'm very happy to hear that about the Scorcerer book, it's been my experience that everyone tends to play one like a wizard without a spellbook.

Speaking of spells I hope your Quin. spellcaster books Cleric, Wizard and hopefully Druid etc. will have ideas or suggestion for spells not just the spells themselves. They tend too fill out those books leaveing little room for anything else besides spells, now I'd love to see a few more Orisons for Clerics and Druids as nobody seems to do those.

will the release after the Elf book be for the Dwarves ?

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi there,

I can safely assure you that the Quintessential books covering the spellcasting classes will _not_ be mere collections of spells, any more than Fighter was just about feats and new weapons. The whole drive of the Quintessential lines is in giving players 'cool' things to do with their characters, rather than just tooling them up. So, new spells will be present, but they will by no means be 'major' chapters.

As for the book after The Quintessential Elf, all will be reveased next month. . .

johncolossus

First Post
Enc Divine and beyond

Just wondering Matt whether you can give any clues on the Encyclopadia Divine series......beyond shamans and fey magic, what other ones have you got planned? Any chance of more druid based ones ("trendy" at the mo with MOTW)? Also will there be more encyclopeadia arcane titles?
Just curiosity but you what happened to the.....
Cheers

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi there,

Encyclopaedia Divine books can actually be sods to do, as we don't want to go around inventing a load of new gods for people who already have developed campaigns. We have a couple of druidic books in the works, but they will have to wait for now.

The Encyclopaedia Arcane series will be getting some seriously interesting books this year. Chronomancy is being written right now, after someone finally submitted a system which did not involve wizards buggering up a long term campaign by messing with time travel. Elementalism, Illusionism, Rune Magic and High Magic are all going to make a show in the next few months, along with a few others - more news as and when!

johncolossus

First Post
Arrrh High Magic at last! Presumably you will not be inventing spells beyond 9th level......ritual based magic? Sorry for keep pestering but when would expect High Magic to see the light of day? Thanks again

Frilf

Explorer
Gnomes & Halflings

Dear Mongoose Matt:

Greetings and well met. I was perusing your boards and have decided to add my two coppers to this board. As a gnome (and a rather well-traveled one, at that), I would personally like to see a separate book for gnomes. Please do not to lump us together with those other (might I add "less desirable") kenderfolk whose idea of "borrowing" tends to break numerous laws against stealing. Not to mention the amount of bad attention such behaviour draws from city guards and whatnot.

Gnomes are clever, wise, and distinct. Those foul halflings should get a book of their own, whereby their inalterably underhanded and devious dealings shall be laid bare for all to see. May the gods smile upon you, Mongoose Matt. I pray you'll make the correct decision.

Cheers!
Frilf Ottenbaugh
(Gnome Traveler, Author, & Adventurer Extraordinaire)

Nebin

Explorer
Humpffffff

Kid and I'm talking to Friff here not you Matt :), you really need to put some skill points into diplomancy next time. I'm all for Gnomes haveing there own Quin. book too, for the longest we and the Halflings/Hobbits have been lumped together when race books or magizine coverage comes out.

Not all of our distant cousins are dispicable Thieves, some are perrty darn cute dispicable thieves. I'm looking forward to Mongoosees/Mongeeses (?) Gnome book and how they protray us till then my young friend (again Friff) it's off to conjuring class for you and Matt get back to work you spend way too much time here :D.

o if you see Lord Morrus around tell him I'll send those out- takes of the new Gnome Kama Sutra on the next flight.

Frilf

Explorer
Uhh... The name is FRILF. Not Friff. If we could only come up with a way to keep dear Nebin from drinking so much of that goblin brew! :D

However, I do agree that some halflings might have a smattering of merit. I'm still looking to find it, though. And, by the way, how did you get ahold of *my* copy of the Gnomish Kama Sutra? Hmmm? ;)

FRILF Ottenbaugh
Gnomish explorer, among other things

Remove ads