Mongoose's new RPG License - speculation?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Here's an interesting thought: What does Mongoose already have vs what don't they already have. Mongoose lists what they feel are their major game lines right on the top of their home page; lets go through and see what they have alot of and what they don't have alot of. Mind you, I'm ignoring all minis games as well as flaming cobra.

Fantasy:
Conan
Runequest
Elric
Harkmoon
Lonewolf
all their d20 products

Modern/Near Future:
none (all minis games)

Sci-fi/Far Future:
Paranoia
Babylon 5
Starship Troopers
Judge Dredd

While I am not ruling out HALO, I think they have scifi pretty well covered. And frankly, from what I've seen in the game (Mind you, I've only played HALO 1, not 2), there isn't much to make a general RPG from. They did announce that the system will be released as OGL and HALO AFAIK doesn't have a psionic or magical-feeling technology or mutation or other major sci-fi hallmark components to it. So I'm officially changing my mind and saying, "not HALO"

Since Mongoose doesn't have a modern RPG, I'm going to guess they're probably going to go after a modern game. GTA does offer a number of role playing possibilities, but my gut is saying, no. Maybe something like Metal of Honor or something. IDK.

yipwyg42

First Post
Mongoose License

Well since the new rpg is supposed to bring a new ruleset that will be open content and potentially be used for others, I would say the following might be it.

Fallout 3's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and the first game will be Fallout the rpg.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Glyfair said:
Mongoose acquired a popular RPG IP that hasn't been around a while.
Mongoose acquired the license to the IP of a board game.
Mongoose acquired the license to the IP of a video computer game.

Dune is all of these things, incidentally, though I doubt it's Dune only because I can't imagine that being any kind of a Holy Grail (Herbert fan that I am).

Remove ads