Mongose: Quintessential Fighter

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi guys,

Nightfall: The Quintessential Rogue is at the printers at the moment, and will be available next month. Cleric has already been written (by Sam 'Chaos Magic' Witt), and it is pretty hot stuff - it even has _me_ wanting to play a Cleric! As well as the usual features of the Quintessential line, it has rules for converting the faithless, building a congregation, leading hymns, constructing a temple and much, much more. I'll do a full preview of this early next week.

Work on The Quintessential Wizard has begun, and looks set to be another winner. As for Sorcerer, Ranger, and the rest, well, that kinda depends on you guys :) If we get the vote of confidence on the Quintessential line then yes, there will be more, and I have already seens some very imaginative proposals for classes such as Sorcerers that will set them apart from Wizards (which is the way it should be, right?). We are also taking a look at some books for the Quintessential line that will go far beyond being mere class books and should get players thinking a little bit more about their characters. More news as it comes!

Constructs is being finished right now - I'll do a full preview of the book next week, but there is more than just golems in it :) This one is being written by our new full time writer, Alejandro Melchor, who has also just polished off Ships of War and is looking like an excellent choice for the Mongoose stable. The first Encyclopaedia Divine book will be Shamans, due in May. More support for divine spellcasters is planned (the arcane guys have had it their way for _far_ too long!), but it won't just be druids and churchs, I promise. One planned book in particular should have Rangers looking twice. . .

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sound VERY promising!

I cannot wait to see at least the Clerical book, though the Rogue's book (if it should have some inventitive traps), might get a good bit of play. Still, what you have mentioned about the clerical stuff sound VERY good.

I also like the sound of what may yet come. Believe me I'm ALWAYS looking for options to help tweak my campaigns for my players. Your Necromancy book, for example, very sharp stuff. :) I cannot wait to get these others.

One quick question though, is how is the work coming with the Fantasy City line? I'd like to hear a little more about that.

Nellisir

Hero
Mongoose_Matt said:
It is simply a little rule to make generating characters no longer a no-brainer (Rogue, got to have a high Dex, Fighter, Strength).

Actually, Dex pays off more than Str.

Strength contributes to (melee) attack bonuses, damage, and a few skills.

Dexterity contributes to ranged attack bonuses, melee attack bonuses via Weapon Finesse, Reflex saving throws, Armor Class, and several desirable skills (Tumble anyone?).

This is just one more reason for fighters -not- to invest in Strength. Place the highest scores in Wisdom and Dex, take one level of monk, and party.

:)
Nell.

Crothian

First Post
What ability is best depends on the fighter. If you are using a large none finesse weapon and plan on using few missile weapons, strength is the best. Plus you don't need to waste a feat. Sure fighters get a bunch, but with the selection that is now out there, even fighters need to choose carefully.

Personally, the Quintessential Fighter is something I am eagerly looking forward to. It wasn't here on Friday, hopefully this week my stores will have it. I've read every review on it just to know that the book lives up to my dreams, and it seems it does. I eager look forward to the rest of the series. I urge someone to write a Bard book, as it is still my favortite class in d20.

Last edited:

bramadan

First Post
Mongoose_Matt said:
Hi guys,
...Work on The Quintessential Wizard has begun, and looks set to be another winner....

It is probably bit too late for a wishlist here but one thing that I would *realy* like to see in the wizard book are the suggestions as to how make all magic more unpredictable and dangerous ala Demonology/Necromancy/C.M. ... or to give guidelines as to how to make integrated magic systems with those and other simmiar traditions but without "vanila" wizards. Together with many others (on these boards at least) I am not too big on magic as a technology feel of DnD. Mongoose is so far the most sucesfull company in geting out if this mold so I have hope for something like this in QW.

I know this might not be too popular in a "player's book" but anything that adresses this problem would be a most welcome thing to many DM's.

cyberProlix

First Post
Mongoose Free Goodies?

Is it me (and some firewall or virus protection that doesn't allow Java) or do others have issues when trying to d/l the free goodies from Mongooses site?
I've got the whole line of Slayers Guides, Gladiators and the Necromancers book. Looking forward to picking up Fighters book.
I just want the extra goodies.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Part of me wants to pick it up to compliment my old Complete Fighter's Handbook of AD&D. OTOH, my other half reminded me of the many simulated leatherette-covered books I have, aka class splatbooks, which have gone in different directions and not consistent with the character kit mechanics.

I hope that TQF (and upcoming Quitessential Class book series) is not going to repeat that. Even with the new prestige class mechanics, one can also abuse this.

Learn from then-TSR's mistake. I would like to be able to use the rules from QF with other classes for my combat-oriented character.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Heretic Apostate said:
Without posting game mechanics, could someone give a run-down of the different fighting styles?

I can remember some of them - unfortunately, the actual names escape me.

There's one for rapier & dagger, with better defensive and offensive capabilities than normal TWF.

One focuses on paired shortswords or daggers, and is a very 'roguish'/dirty-fighting style.

One focuses on the use of a shield as a secondary weapon as well as a defense mechanism.

There's a style for quarterstaff users, and one for polearm users.

There's a couple of archery styles - one for the longbow with some called-shot and aiming type abilities, and one for the crossbow with quick-reload and some other stuff.

There's plenty more, but I don't have the book here...

Remove ads