• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monitor Advice Needed

ByteRynn

First Post
I am moving and getting a smaller desk, and I need to purchase a flat-panel monitor because my current monstrocity won't fit.

I don't want to spend much more than $250 dollars and will primarily use this monitor for word processing/internet, though, I will probably want to run the occasional graphics-intensive game on it.

Any suggestions?

Steel_Wind

Legend
For that budget, have a look at an Optiquest Q9b.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/optiquest/q9b/

If you decide you have a little more money, I would recommend a widescreen monitor (16:9) format over a standard (4:3). Once you use a widescreen - you will never go back.

There are several 19" widescreen monitors on the market.

The Dell 20.5" widescreen is absolutely gorgeous. I have one and absolutely love it.

But it's about double your $250 budget!

drothgery

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
The Dell 20.5" widescreen is absolutely gorgeous. I have one and absolutely love it.

But it's about double your $250 budget!

Ditto. I'm surprised they're still pushing $500, though; I got mine for about that much last year (though that took a pretty nice set of coupons).

I want one for work, too. Maybe next year...

KenM

Banned
Banned
I heard for games and flat montiors, you need to have a low response time between the montior and the computer. 8 ms (milliseconds) response time is good from what I hear.

Steel_Wind

Legend
ByteRynn said:
I meant to say, I am thinking 17 or 19 inch. I am not ruling out widescreen

Do not get a 17". You will regret that decision. Given monitor prices these days, there is no reason to get a 17", either.

19" at least - preferably widescreen is my advice.

I like the ViewSonic VX922. It's not too far outside your price range. A good all around display, and one of the best for games.

I'd stay away from the big 'budget' widescreen displays. The resolution and response generally suck.

Remove ads