• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monitor Advice Needed

Vocenoctum

First Post
ByteRynn said:
I found a Samsung 19" with 4ms delay. With the instant rebate, only $209.

A good buy?
Looks like a real good price, Newegg is $379.

I bought an LG 19", 4ms, 1400:1 contrast for $299 on sale, I doubt you'll go wrong with Samsung and that's a great price.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Not sure if this can be had for $350 or so in the USA or not, but I saw this 20" widescreen at Future Shop today for under $400 CDN (so 350 ish USD). Very nice display. I'd put it very close to my Dell 2005FPW for its main viewing features.

(Hmm. Newegg has it on for $499 USD. Ok. So the Future Shop price of $350 is very nice!)

LG 20.1" Premium LCD Monitor (L203WT)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10071963&catid=22335&logon=&langid=EN

Last edited:

werk

First Post
Mycanid said:
What's the exact model number? Usually Samsung makes good stuff....
Samsung and LG (Phillips) are really the only two manufacturers of LCD screens IIRC, despite many monitor manufacturers. I'm interested to see what they do with the profits from the artifically inflated LCD production cost that they are still perpetuating, especially the 3D display that LG was working on.

The number that you want to keep your eye on (that they usually hide) is the Pixel Pitch (sometimes called Dot Pitch, like on printers). The smaller that number, the better picture you will have, and IMO is the real measure of quality. It's similar to aperture grill pitch on CRTs.

For instance a Dell 2007FP, NEC LCD2070NX, Planar PL2010M, or Phillips 200P6EB, are 20.1" LCD monitors at 0.255 mm and around $450. Samsung makes a 21" @ 0.270(mm) at about the same price...it's a little bigger, so the pixels are a little bigger too, makes sense. But most 17" monitors are @ 0.264mm...19's are @ 0.294mm, which is why they are so much cheaper than a 20" despite being only marginally larger.

For buying, I usually do my research and figure out what specs I want to buy, then go to pricewatch.com or like-sites and find the cheapest price point. I just found a 20" DELL ULTRASHARP 2000FP for $273 on there or a Viewsonic 20-inch N2010 for $305...you can get a crappy 19" for under $150!

I like a lot of LCDs, but I'll stick with my 21" Trinitron @ .24mm. ;)

Zulithe

Explorer
I just bought my first LCD. Samsung SyncMaster 730B, at Circuit City for $300 minus $130 in rebates (30 erebate at their webite and a 100 manufacturer rebate) for a overall total of $170 once all is said and done (still waiting for rebates to arrive)

I almost went for the 19 inch model. Mine also has an 8ms delay instead of the 4ms you have, but there is very little distinguishable difference between 8 and lower (some would say the same about 16ms and lower)

Remove ads