Monitor Duty (Freedomverse OOC)

tglassy

Adventurer
Yeah, the concept was that when he first began to develop his powers, he really could only make himself weigh less, and then weightless. To move around, he fashioned mechanical wings which he could control with sensors in his gloves.

As his powers developed, he learned how to move around without his wings, and he's at the point now where he doesn't need them at all. I suppose he'll keep them, cause they do look cool.

Quickleaf

Legend
You don't pay for your Strength twice when calculating your damage rank.

However, the Multiattack would have to include your Strength rank if your attack is Strength-based.

Penetrating does not HAVE to include it. You have the option of leaving it at 6. Note that the nature of Impervious defenses means that there's very rarely a need to have Penetrating at full damage rank. Someone would have to have an Impervious Toughness of 18 to block a rank 9 damage effect. There's no partial reduction with Impervious Toughness...it's all or nothing.

So in this case, I would suggest reducing your Penetrating modifier to pay for the difference in Multiattack cost, leaving the total power cost the same.

Sorry I forgot about that wrinkle of strength based damage. The point of doing Strength based is that it makes your attack power into a 'weapon' kind of. It lets you use your Strength AND your power damage in a single attack. But you don't get a free pass on Extras to the damage. Your Strength rank is treated as ranks in Damage for the purpose of those modifiers.

You don't have to pay for those ranks AS damage because you already paid for them as Strength.

Ok, thanks :) I *think* I'm doing the point-buy right now...?

Li Po's Legendary Fist (23 points total)
Damage rank 6 (effectively 9 because Str-based) ––– 6 points
Multiattack +1/rank ––– 9 points
Alternate Effects: Boot to the Head, Dim Mak, Heavenly White Tara's Mudra, Nine Palms Diagram, No-Touch ––– 5 points
Penetrating 3

Quickleaf

Legend
I was brainstorming potential PC connections for the Mythic Fist...

[MENTION=6810779]jonathonhawke[/MENTION] Prometheus (as detective Luke Papadopoulos) might be partnered with the crooked beat detective Jimmy Pham, my PC’s uncle?

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Sandra's Grimoire may have once been kept in a library in Shambala Vale for safe-keeping... maybe there's information in there that my PC wants access to, and despite being tasked by mystics of Shambala with retrieving lost artifacts, he's more interested in other concerns pertaining to the campaign villain(s)? Or maybe you want to translate a certain magical passage only a "disciple of Shambala" can read?

[MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] Tarantula’s eight-limbed nemesis the Widower might have been “killed” by my PC’s improper use of the Nine Palms Diagram or Dim Mak…maybe accidentally struck during some kind of gang fight and fell into the same river that Tarantula fell into? Some kind of cosmic fate thing?

[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] Hawk might be a different breed of billionaire from his father, but that doesn’t mean that media didn’t thoroughly drag his name through the press in regards to that R&D accident which spewed toxic chemicals (the one granting you powers?). What if my character was the photographer on a story that created a lot of bad press for Hawk, with behind-the-scenes photos my PC took illegally?

Also [MENTION=20711]hero4hire[/MENTION] is there an Evil Ninja Cult in the Freedom-verse that I can use in my backstory? I don't know the setting.

Shayuri

First Post
That looks about right to me!

The Penetrating means you'll always do at least damage rank 3, even if something has impervious Toughness in excess of 2x your damage rank.

Guess that also means you can punch through walls and tanks if you keep at it. :)

--

As for links...you make an interesting point! Some place like Shamballa would make a sensible place to store an artifact like the Grimoire. That does beg the question of how Sandra came into possession of it.

My initial thought was that it had been recovered in some dig and sent to the library for restoration and research, and she found it there. There are other possibilities though.

Perhaps the Shamballa library has unusual properties. It could work a little like the wizard's library in Discworld...effectively infinite in scope; linked on a sympathetic level to ALL libraries. You wander in the stacks, and suddenly realize the books look different, and you're not sure where you took your last turn. There you find the book you need (not necessarily the one you want)...and when you turn around you see the checkout desk of your own library, safe as houses. Those strange shelves and stacks look normal now...were they ever not?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Nice, I like it! A little accidental dimensional thievery borrowing before breakfast. That actually makes for a great plot hook if Sandra isn't the only one capable of circumventing the usual securities of Shambala's inter-dimensional library...

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=20711]hero4hire[/MENTION] I just realized the Deflect power seems to apply to all non-area (and non-perception ranged attack...whatever that is) attacks targeting Dodge or Parry. I'm envisioning him being able to deflect unarmed/melee/thrown/arrow attacks but not firearms or energy blasts... How would I model that with Deflect? Take the Limited flaw? And what is a "non-perception ranged attack"?

Shayuri

First Post
I figure such wanderings are probably at the dictates of fate, which the monks are okay with...but it could have been Sandra accidentally using magic! Which...is actually a cool idea. :)

For Deflect, yes...that sounds like a pretty significant Limit to me.

A perception-ranged attack is something that doesn't have a roll to hit; it automatically affects a target that can be perceived with an Accurate sense (often used for things like psionics, or the archetypical D&D 'magic missile). The target still gets the usual resistance defense (Toughness, Will, Fortitude, etc) against a Perception power, but doesn't get Dodge or Parry.

GreenKarl

First Post
[MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] Tarantula’s eight-limbed nemesis the Widower might have been the NPC “killed” by my PC’s improper use of the Nine Palms Diagram or Dim Mak (see his "Secret" complication)…maybe accidentally struck during some kind of gang fight and fell into the same river that Tarantula fell into? Some kind of cosmic fate thing?

Totally works for me... it might not be the same river it just had to have happened on the same night :D

Sounds like an interesting team we have here...

A totally 'original' not-Spiderman ripoff :D
A Magic girl and her 'daemon'
A magic Brick who can fly
A Gravity controller
A Martial Artist
A Psychic Mutant

Cool, cool

Take note that Weaken takes character points out of a trait, not ranks. So using Weaken 6 against an Ability can reduce that Ability by a maximum of 3 ranks (assuming the target misses his save by 6).

Remove ads