Monitor Duty (Freedomverse OOC)

hero4hire

Explorer
And here's the revision. In this the Grimoire is still narratively the same; ancient wizard bound into his spellbook, able to talk but not act and so on. The non-spell knowledge in the book is now treated as 'super skills' and 'super advantages' that are lost when the book is unavailable, but the Grimoire isn't a sidekick any longer, because it can't take actions or DO anything beyond share knowledge. A couple of other changes simply reflect spending the earned experience points.

Hex - PL 10 (156pp)

Attributes 28
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 6, Awareness 5, Presence 1

Advantages 7
Equipment 1, Ranged Attack 6

Skills 8 (16)
Expertise: History 2 (+8), Expertise: Magic 2 (+8), Expertise: Science 4 (+10), Insight 2 (+7), Investigation 2 (+8), Perception 2 (+7), Technology 2 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +2
Disjoin: Nullify 8 (DC Will 18)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Hexat: Affliction 8 (DC Will 18)
One Hundred Ways to Die: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Soul Hand: Move Object 9 (DC 19)
Throw, +6 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Defense 24
Dodge 10, Parry 4, Fortitude 7, Toughness 10, Will 10

Powers 86
Glamour: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Increased Duration: continuous) 6pp
Mystic Awareness: Senses 2 (Awareness: Mystic, Extended: Awareness 1: x10) 2pp
Mystic Warding: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness) 10pp

The Knowledge of the Grimoire (all easily removable) 4 (5 - 1 removable)
Expertise: Magic 6 (+14), 3pp
Artificer 1pp
Ritualist 1pp

Soul Sorcery Array 33pp
alt Magnus Warding: Create 9 (Volume: 500 cft., DC 19; Affects Insubstantial 2: Selective, Subtle 1) 30pp
alt Manifest Soul: Enhanced Trait 30 (Traits: Fighting +6 (+6), Fortitude +3 (+10), Strength +7 (+7), Athletics +2 (+2); Sustained) 30pp
alt Soul Hand: Move Object 9 (12 tons; Increased Range: perception, Precise, Split 2) 30pp
alt Soul Voyage: Remote Sensing 9 (Affects: Visual, Aural, Range: 2 miles; Dimensional: Astral, Subtle: Mystic Senses) 29pp

Tome Spells (Easily Removable Array) 31pp
alt One Hundred Ways to Die: Damage 10 (DC 25; Accurate 2: +4, Ranged, Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Magic) 34pp
alt Disjoin: Nullify 8 (Alternate; Counters: Magic, DC 18; Broad, Increased Range: perception,
Simultaneous) 32pp
alt Hexat: Affliction 8 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Disabled, Defenseless, 3rd degree: Controlled, Unaware, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception, Reversible) 33pp
alt Thunder Road: Teleport 7 (Alternate; Carry 800 lbs.; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Extended: 120 miles in 2 move actions, Increased Mass 4; Limited to Extended) 34pp

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Commlink, Mini-tracer, Rebreather

Complications
Identity: There are several reasons she protects her true identity. Insulating her family and friends is one, but also she's unsure how using magic will affect her desire to be a scientist...and she's hedging her bets on that, keeping it compartmentalized.

Motivation: I wanna try everything! Sandra is enthralled with the strange and mysterious, drawn to new experiences and new ideas. Being a superhero is in some ways a 'testbed' for her explorations of magic...giving her a socially-positive way to use abilities and techniques that would otherwise be very hard to ethically experiment with.

Power Loss: Incantations: The spells cast from the Grimoire require the book to be in her hand, but also require incantations to be made in a clear voice. Background sound that drowns her out won't stop the spell from working, but anything that actually prevents her from vocalizing will. Her Soul magic has no such limitation, however.

Relationship: The Grimoire was not a nice guy in his human existence. While he has resigned himself to his current state, he doesn't hold the lives of those who cannot use magic in very high regard. As such, his lessons and advice for Sandra, while forced by his geas, to be honest, often reflect a callous disregard for the well-being of others.

Languages
English

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 86 + Advantages 7 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 153

Did you remember the cost break from making your Tome spell array removable? Also, Tome Knowledge would be part of the same "device" The book is removed both are removed. Which may be to your benefit math-wise. Remember that EASILY removable is a 2/5 cost break, not 1/5

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Ahhhh...I did remember the point break, I misremembered the amount.

And yeah, the book knowledge could be part of the same array, I guess...that is a good point. Of course, then the total possible value of the boosts would skyrocket, but I think I'd be inclined to keep it about where it is, for sanity's sake.

Thanks for going over this with me. I've missed a lot of sleep this week, and with the benefit of hindsight, it's really showing. :)

hero4hire

Explorer
No problem. So you will probably get a fair amount of points regardless.
Once I have your sheet and Astral's finalized I will restart.

Shayuri

First Post
Got some points left to spend, and a funny thought occurred to me...would it be okay to have a 'headquarters?'

I know we have rooms on the space station, but I was thinking an arcanist might want to have someplace more accessible from Earth...and perhaps more private for the purpose of doing ritual magic and so on.

Going over my files here, I realized that I hadn't detailed much of Hex's 'ordinary' persona, other than that her family's alive and well, and she was until recently a college student.

Not sure if her current position as a superhero has a salary attached to it, but I could perhaps say she got some money from investments or from family; enough to get a place of her own which she then juiced up with some magic.

That said, if it's not going to be appropriate for the game I can easily put it into other things too. We're only talking 3pp here. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Okay then, Sandra Mark III

Hex - PL 10 (156pp)

Attributes 28
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 6, Awareness 5, Presence 1

Advantages 11
Equipment 1, Ranged Attack 6, Improved Initiative 1, Installation 3 (15)

Skills 9 (18)
Expertise: History 2 (+8), Expertise: Magic 2 (+8), Expertise: Science 2 (+8), Insight 3 (+8), Investigation 4 (+10), Perception 3 (+8), Technology 2 (+8)

Languages
English

Offense
Initiative +6
Disjoin: Nullify 10 (DC Will 20)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Hexat: Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)
One Hundred Ways to Die: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Soul Hand: Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Throw, +6 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Defense 24
Dodge 10, Parry 4, Fortitude 7, Toughness 10, Will 10

Powers 75
Glamour: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Increased Duration: continuous) 6pp
Mystic Awareness: Senses 2 (Awareness: Mystic, Extended: Awareness 1: x10) 2pp
Mystic Warding: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness) 10pp

Soul Sorcery Array 36pp
alt Magnus Warding: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Affects Insubstantial 2: Selective, Subtle 1) 33pp
alt Manifest Soul: Enhanced Trait 30 (Traits: Fighting +6 (+6), Fortitude +3 (+10), Strength +8 (+8), Athletics +4 (+12); Sustained) 33pp
alt Soul Hand: Move Object 10 (24 tons; Increased Range: perception, Precise, Split 2) 33pp
alt Soul Voyage: Remote Sensing 10 (Affects: Visual, Aural, Range: 2 miles; Dimensional: Astral, Subtle: Mystic Senses) 32pp

Tome Spells (Easily Removable Array) 27pp (45pp -18 removable)
Hexat: Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Disabled, Defenseless, 3rd degree: Controlled, Unaware, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception, Reversible) 41pp
alt One Hundred Ways to Die: Damage 10 (DC 25; Accurate 2: +4, Ranged, Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Magic, Indirect 4: Any origin, any orientation) 38pp
alt Disjoin: Nullify 10 (Alternate; Counters: Magic, DC 20; Broad, Increased Range: perception, Simultaneous) 40pp
alt Thunder Road: Teleport 8 (Alternate; Carry 800 lbs.; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Extended: 240 miles in 2 move actions, Increased Mass 4; Limited to Extended) 38pp
alt The Knowledge of the Grimoire Enhanced Traits 6: Expertise: Magic 8, Artificer, Ritualist

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Commlink, Mini-tracer, Rebreather

Complications
Identity: Sandra is trying to keep her true identity distinct from her superhero persona, and will take pains to keep that secret. This is to protect her family, non-superhero friends, and business from the retaliation of powerful enemies she makes as Hex.

Obsession: Sandra is enthralled with the strange and mysterious, drawn to new experiences and new ideas. Being a superhero is in some ways a 'testbed' for her explorations of magic...giving her a socially-positive way to use abilities and techniques that would otherwise be very hard to ethically experiment with.

Power Loss: Incantations: The spells cast from the Grimoire require the book to be in her hand, but also require incantations to be made in a clear voice. Background sound that drowns her out won't stop the spell from working, but anything that actually prevents her from vocalizing will. Her Soul magic has no such limitation, however.

Blue Collar: Being a superhero doesn't necessarily put bread on the table. Sandra has a job too, a business really. She runs a one-person private investigator's office with an apartment on the upper level, and some well-hidden magical facilities in the basement. It's not a glamourous way to make a living, but her abilities make her very good at the job.

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 75 + Advantages 11 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 153/153

Installation: Sandra's Home/Office (PL10/15pts)

Sandra's place is a two-story officeplace, with a basement, just off of the downtown area in the city. The first floor is mostly devoted to her private investigator business, with a reception area and a private office in back. The second floor is her apartment, with two bedrooms and a fairly spacious living area. The basement is accessed through a door that's been concealed by permanent illusion magic (the Secret feature) and is divided between a library annex and a large work area equipped for both magical research (laboratory) and more practical applications of magical theory (workshop). The entire building has been granted protective spells that strengthen it's walls with magical force (toughness boost) as well as wards that seal out incorporeal beings and prevent direct teleportation within it. Even Sandra can't teleport directly into her place, though she can teleport close and then enter conventionally. Additional wards, as well as mundane alarms, secure the place from unauthorized entry.

Size: Small
Toughness: 10 (affects insubstantial 1) (3)
Features
- Secret (1)
- Fire Prevention (1)
- Laboratory: Magical (1)
- Library (1)
- Living Space (1)
- Security System (1)
- Workshop: Magical (1)
Powers
- Immunity to Teleportation (5)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
You can put the 3 points in now. The powers in your array that cost 3pp per rank would go up one, unless they break Power level limit

Okay, I will put the 3 points in the Array. By my count, that should push the Astral Black Hole and TK Snare up to 9, since those are the only powers that cost 3. Are these points cumulative? So, for example, I put in 3 points now. Does that mean it only costs 1 point to up Mental Blast now (it costs 4 normally)? I don't have the Hero Lab, so hashing this out has been a headache LOL Would it be better to save the points until everything can go up? (By my count, I need 6 points for Illusion, 3 for Deflect, 4 for Damage, 4 for Mind Control).

hero4hire

Explorer
Okay, I will put the 3 points in the Array. By my count, that should push the Astral Black Hole and TK Snare up to 9, since those are the only powers that cost 3. Are these points cumulative? So, for example, I put in 3 points now. Does that mean it only costs 1 point to up Mental Blast now (it costs 4 normally)? I don't have the Hero Lab, so hashing this out has been a headache LOL Would it be better to save the points until everything can go up? (By my count, I need 6 points for Illusion, 3 for Deflect, 4 for Damage, 4 for Mind Control).

Did some double checking. Most of your array costs 4pp per rank and/or are maxed at PL, one more PP will bring a lot of those up.

So...bank them?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases