• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Revisions

Mortaneus

First Post
I hope they have some way to punch through the DR changes they're talking about, or monks are going to get even more screwed by DR-laden creatures. Ki strike comes way too late as it is...

Issalzul Syde

First Post
No info as been released, so i'm hoping for the best.

All I read about monks is the "monks are god" comments and they tick me off.
So i'm guessing it's going to be a powerdown.

I just hope ki strike is actually made USEFUL with the new DR system.
Hell, if they can make it useful at all, i'm happy.

"Yay! I just got Ki strike +1!"
"Uhhh... bob? all the monsters we face right now have a DR of x/+2 and higher"
"..."

Victim

First Post
I stopped hearing "monks are overpowered" comments from reasonable people awhile ago. IMHO, monks can be kind of weak without all sorts of non-core items to boost them.

Mortaneus

First Post
Victim said:
I stopped hearing "monks are overpowered" comments from reasonable people awhile ago. IMHO, monks can be kind of weak without all sorts of non-core items to boost them.

IMC, I've found monks to be really powerful in only one way, and that's AC. That's only at high levels, however, when they've got DEX and WIS boosts, Bracers of Armor +8, and the like. They're good at getting in the way and pummelling spellcasters. That's about it.

One thing I've considered doing is tossing out this 'Unarmed Attack' nonsense, and giving them a fighter attack bonus at standard interative attacks. Makes the class run smoother, I think, and actually gives them the chance of hitting with an attack or two at high levels.

Last edited:

Perithoth

First Post
Hi,

I was the one that was at the revised 3e meeting at WF and posted up all that stuff. Basically the four "tweener" classes were going to be pumped up. There may be some rearranging of feats, Rangers will get them spread out in the beginning and get some cool stuff down the road. Not much was said about the monks specifically but I think that Monk will probably move Evasion from 1st to 2nd level or so. I know the Ki strike is weak right now so I am hoping they will make that more viable.

The power of a Monk is AC and movement. I think they want to make it a better class because really you don't come into your own until 6th level. Most people I know take one level for evasion and then poof the go on to some other class. Kinda like taking Ranger for 1 level to get the front loaded feats.

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Perithoth
Lord of Grumpiness

Chun-tzu

First Post
Thanks for the info, Bryan (and welcome to the boards!).

The kinds of complaints I usually read about Monks are:
a) Ki Strike is under-powered (as mentioned already).
b) For martial artists, their damage output leaves much to be desired. I doubt WotC will be upping their combat ability, but one can dream.
c) They're not customizable. Fighters, Wizards, Rogues, and Clerics may be built in very different ways, but one Monk is just about as good as another. The motto of the revisions is to make 3E more like 3E; well, 3E is all about options, so I'm betting they add a few more options to Monks (like in OA and Quintessential Monk).
d) They may (or may not) alter the multiclassing restrictions (which are dropped completely in OA).

zero skill LPB

First Post
Monk-y prediction

Ki Strike will no longer scale up as "+1, +2, +3" but instead as "trumps DR 5/*, 10/*, 15/*"

Doesn't (unnecessarily) increase their damage output, yet still keeps them in the damage-dealing game.

They'll probably still get them too late, but hey, there's gotta be a reason to pick up 4.0, right?

:D

Grendel

First Post
I'm puting my money on more versatility.

I think both monks will loose most of their fixed abilities/feats, and have more selection spread out through the levels.

The only major change I can forsee (game-balance-wise) is lowering of the monks movement, or shifting it to a chosen ability rather than a free ability.

Infact I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift to a more feat based game with specific classes having access to specific feats (at certain levels). Make all the monk abilities "monk feats" same could be done with rogue, paladin and ranger.

Remove ads