Monk unarmed attacks and Gauntlets

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm building a monk/fighter for a game, and I want to fight mainly with my unarmed attacks (it's not a power build). My basic idea is to wear armor and such, possibly a buckler, and use a magic gauntlet with my unarmed strikes. A gauntlet "lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack." So, do I deal my monk unarmed strike damage with a gauntlet? I'm thinking yes, but I'm curious if there's something that specifically disallows this. What are your thoughts?

Engilbrand

First Post
No. The Gauntlet sucks if you're a Monk. If you're a Monk, though, why would you wear armor? It negates almost ALL of your special abilities.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Engilbrand said:
No. The Gauntlet sucks if you're a Monk. If you're a Monk, though, why would you wear armor? It negates almost ALL of your special abilities.

"When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement and flurry of blows abilities."

I'm only going to be using 1-2 levels of monk, with Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack (hopefully), and Snap Kick to help my damage. Heck, Evasion (monk 2) even works in light armor, which I'll be wearing; my AC will be better with that than with Wis, so the only thing I'll lose is Flurry of Misses. Here is the (very) preliminary build, starting at 6th level:

Human Monk 2/Ftr 4

1 Power Attack
1 Flying Kick
1b Stunning Fist
2b Deflect Arrows
3 Powerful Charge
3b Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)
4b Improved Toughness (or whatever)
6b Leap Attack (or whatever)
6 Superior Unarmed Strike

Charging for 1d8+1d8+1d12+Str/magic bonuses? HELL YES!

I'm considering building it as monk 2/scout 1/ranger 1/fighter 2 for the skirmish (+1d6 on a charge!) and Track, and taking the Highland Stalker PrC later.

Darklone

John Q. Mayhem said:
I'm considering building it as monk 2/scout 1/ranger 1/fighter 2 for the skirmish (+1d6 on a charge!) and Track, and taking the Highland Stalker PrC later.
Might be worth looking at Swift Hunter and Imp Skirmish if you go that route.

Remove ads