D&D 5E Monk vs Warlock: Checking the Baseline

Stalker0

Legend
So the recent Monk thread had me wondering about Treantmonk's baseline. First of all, I wanted to check it from a scientific standpoint (peer review is important!). But I also wanted to see for myself how the monk looked when I thought about my own campaigns.

The Numbers are below. Here are the assumptions I used.

1) Monk starts with 16 dex. The warlock starts with Cha 16. Monk is using a quarterstaff.
2) The warlock takes agonizing blast (Cha to damage) at 2nd level.
3) Both the monk and warlock increase their attack stat at level 4. At 8th we will assume the monk bumps wisdom, and the warlock bumps Cha. People commonly say that Monks are MAD have to split their stat bumps to be effective, so we will do that here to see how it fares.
EDIT: Note in my original numbers warlocks had an 18 cha to start. Feedback was this was a poor assumption for a baseline, so the numbers were adjusted to have 16 cha as the starting point.
4) At level 5 I give both classes a magic item (while technically optional, I have never played a table that didn't give characters a basic weapon magic item by 5th level). Warlocks get a +1 rod of the pact keeper (+1 to attacks only). Monk gets a +1 quarterstaff (which does not affect unarmed strikes).
5) I assumed a 65% hit rate when no additional attack bonuses were applied and the stat was 16. This means that applying more attack stat and attack bonuses from magic items increased the to-hit rate beyond 65%.
6) The % Improvement column is for the Monk, so positive numbers is how much more DPR the monk is doing.
7) I look at levels 1-10, because WOTC research shows these are the actual levels that people play at (which also is similar to the levels my table plays at). Therefore, I don't consider any data passed 10th level to be of relevance to the discussion.
8) First table is at base, second table is full power (hex and flurry). Third table is hex but no flurry.

Summary
1) At base (no hex, no flurry), the monk shows superior DPR at all levels, a good amount in fact.
2) With full power (hex and flurry), the monk's DPR is remains superior at all levels.
3) At levels 2-4 (which are common levels for many tables), the monk is almost 50% over the warlock in DPR.
4) At low levels (1-4), a warlock basically has to use hex to keep up with a monk. A monk can ignore flurry and stay close to the baseline. Once at 5th, the monk needs flurry to keep up with hex.
5) The only real debate point then is how often the Monk can flurry vs the Warlock can hex. This comes down to rounds/combat, frequency of short rest, how often concentration is disrupted or warlocks wants to use other concentration spells, etc.
6) Honestly, these numbers seem good enough that I don't think the Monk has trouble "making the baseline". He seems quite capable of putting out equal or superior damage to a warlock.

LevelWarlockMonk%Improvement
1​
3.85​
8.8​
128.57%​
2​
5.8​
8.8​
51.72%​
3​
5.8​
8.8​
51.72%​
4​
6.925​
10.85​
56.68%​
5​
14.8​
20.125​
35.98%​
6​
14.8​
20.125​
35.98%​
7​
14.8​
20.125​
35.98%​
8​
17.35​
20.125​
15.99%​
9​
17.35​
20.125​
15.99%​
10​
17.35​
20.125​
15.99%​
LevelHexFlurry%Improvement
1​
6.3​
8.8​
39.68%​
2​
8.25​
12.5​
51.52%​
3​
8.25​
12.5​
51.52%​
4​
9.55​
15.525​
62.57%​
5​
20.4​
25.55​
25.25%​
6​
20.4​
25.55​
25.25%​
7​
20.4​
25.55​
25.25%​
8​
23.3​
25.55​
9.66%​
9​
23.3​
25.55​
9.66%​
10​
23.3​
25.55​
9.66%​
LevelHexMonk%Improvement
1​
6.3​
8.8​
39.68%​
2​
8.25​
8.8​
6.67%​
3​
8.25​
8.8​
6.67%​
4​
9.55​
10.85​
13.61%​
5​
20.4​
20.125​
-1.35%​
6​
20.4​
20.125​
-1.35%​
7​
20.4​
20.125​
-1.35%​
8​
23.3​
20.125​
-13.63%​
9​
23.3​
20.125​
-13.63%​
10​
23.3​
20.125​
-13.63%​

Last edited:

Worrgrendel

Explorer
1) Monk starts with 16 dex and 16 wisdom (the build noted in Treantmonk's video). The warlock starts with Cha 18. Monk is using a quarterstaff.

How does the Warlock have a starting 18 CHA? Unless you are going off rolled stats (and no guarantee you will get a stat that high) the highest you can get out of the box is a 17 with point buy or the standard array. I guess this only makes the gap further for the monk.

Also, I really feel like you should include Agonizing Blast in these calculations. I'm not saying every Warlock takes it (mine didn't), but it is a substantial boost to Warlock DPR that is available at level 2 for a paltry cost of one invocation which I feel is a cheaper investment than Hex for sustained DPR since no concentration is required.

Stalker0

Legend
How does the Warlock have a starting 18 CHA?
Also, I really feel like you should include Agonizing Blast in these calculations.

I did 18 cha due to any combos or races I simply wasn't aware of that people would use to "prove" how much better the warlock was.

Agonizing Blast is in fact in the calculation (I should note that). In fact, I had forgotten you didn't get it at 1st, so I will update my numbers.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
How does the Warlock have a starting 18 CHA? Unless you are going off rolled stats (and no guarantee you will get a stat that high) the highest you can get out of the box is a 17 with point buy or the standard array. I guess this only makes the gap further for the monk.
I was going to say the same, although there is one way to start off with an 18 Cha with point buy (Changeling from Eberron: Rising from the Last War). Still, I wouldn't assume it for a baseline calculation.

Also, I really feel like you should include Agonizing Blast in these calculations. I'm not saying every Warlock takes it (mine didn't), but it is a substantial boost to Warlock DPR that is available at level 2 for a paltry cost of one invocation which I feel is a cheaper investment than Hex for sustained DPR since no concentration is required.
There's no way those numbers are being generated without Agonizing Blast. They're too high since they are factoring in hit rate.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
1) Monk starts with 16 dex and 16 wisdom (the build noted in Treantmonk's video). The warlock starts with Cha 18. Monk is using a quarterstaff.
2) Both the monk and warlock increase their attack stat at level 4. At 8th we will assume the monk bumps wisdom, and the warlock does something else as his stat is already a 20.
These seem like unusual assumptions to me. How would the warlock start with 18 Cha? Highest possible with array or point buy is 17. Also, why does the monk increase Wisdom to 18 at 8th level instead of Dexterity to 20?

Stalker0

Legend
These seem like unusual assumptions to me. How would the warlock start with 18 Cha? Highest possible with array or point buy is 17. Also, why does the monk increase Wisdom to 18 at 8th level instead of Dexterity to 20?

Alright, it looks like 18 cha is considered a poor assumption so I will change it . The reason I went wisdom at 8th was because the Monk thread is constantly talking about whether to put points in wisdom for stunning or dex for damage. I decided to split the difference to see if a Monk that wasn't solely focused on his damage stat was keeping up reasonably well. This helps reduce the concern that the Monk is too MAD of a class.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Alright, it looks like 18 cha is considered a poor assumption so I will change it . The reason I went wisdom at 8th was because the Monk thread is constantly talking about whether to put points in wisdom for stunning or dex for damage. I decided to split the difference to see if a Monk that wasn't solely focused on his damage stat was keeping up reasonably well. This helps reduce the concern that the Monk is too MAD of a class.
Ok, that makes sense to me.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
You're comparing a full caster using cantrips vs a non-caster and just talking about how much damage they deal over extended periods of time.

The comparison is meaningless. Conclusions cannot be drawn from looking at these numbers to see how these classes will actually play and whether they live up to their promised themes.

Al2O3

Explorer
You're comparing a full caster using cantrips vs a non-caster and just talking about how much damage they deal over extended periods of time.

The comparison is meaningless. Conclusions cannot be drawn from looking at these numbers to see how these classes will actually play and whether they live up to their promised themes.
It is very useful for checking the recently made argument that monks are way behind on dealing damage over extended periods of time. Warlock is also a good comparison since both they and monk have a clearly limited resource per short rest and obvious ways to convert the resource into damage.

While both classes obviously have strong themes and should be evaluated based on those, this thread is clearly for the discussion of the damage aspect in the context of other discussions.

ccs

41st lv DM
It is very useful for checking the recently made argument that monks are way behind on dealing damage over extended periods of time. Warlock is also a good comparison since both they and monk have a clearly limited resource per short rest and obvious ways to convert the resource into damage.

Ok, so the Monk, depending upon what #s & assumptions you plug into your equation, wins the DPR race against the Warlock.
Can't most classes can do that?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases