D&D 5E Monks breaking gravity

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Horizontal (obviously) but no momentum behind it from running up the wall previously, so I would use standing-start jump limit (half STR) for distance covered horizontally at that height. Obviously they'll have gone further by he time they hit the ground below, full STR seems reasonable at the very least.
That brings up another, in my opinion interesting, foible of the jumping rules:

The movement requirement doesn't specify directionality, just that the movement happen "immediately before the jump", and that the movement be made "on foot."

So you can move 10 feet north, on foot, to satisfy the rules requirements for best jumping distance even if your jump is to the east, west, or even the south (though that's likely not to be a helpful choice to make).

Again, this is because the rules aren't trying to model real-life physics or create their own believable physics engine - they are just making a playable, and hopefully fun, game.

The movement requirement doesn't specify directionality, just that the movement happen "immediately before the jump", and that the movement be made "on foot."

So you can move 10 feet north, on foot, to satisfy the rules requirements for best jumping distance even if your jump is to the east, west, or even the south (though that's likely not to be a helpful choice to make).
That sounds more like they just got sloppy with their natural language, and the thing you're suggesting was never intended. It doesn't make sense that you should jump farther by running in a different direction first, and I wouldn't expect any player (or DM) to think that it would.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
That sounds more like they just got sloppy with their natural language, and the thing you're suggesting was never intended. It doesn't make sense that you should jump farther by running in a different direction first, and I wouldn't expect any player (or DM) to think that it would.
I wouldn't expect it either - I was just pointing out that the default many people have, trying to use real-world physics however well they understand it to figure out how to rule in the game, is different from the default the designers of the game appear to have.

Of course, there are situations in which I absolute would expect that my declared action for my character of running northward and then jumping west or east to work just fine as it would according to the rules because what looks like a "straight line" when thinking in 5'-square spaces is actually a J-shaped hook with the last few steps facing the character the direction of the jump.

Whirlingdervish

First Post
While monks are not immune to gravity they have a very fluid relationship with it that allows them to do things that are conisdered mimpossible by laymen ... thats my story and i sticking to it :)

Kalshane

First Post
I'd treat it as a horizontal jump (followed by a fall back to the actual ground. Though I don't think anyone is actually arguing the monk should "fall" back to the wall after completing his jump.)

I'm not sure what jumping vertically further up the wall would accomplish, since you couldn't actually move farther than your speed that way (at which point you could just run the rest of the way) unless you're looking at an anime "running up the crumbling building" scenario in which case you're trying to clear gaps in the surface you're running up. In those instances, go for it.

Uchawi

First Post
I can see both sides of the argument, but I would tend to rule anything that is not along the normal plane of gravity, i.e. ground, would be considered a vertical jump based on the extra effort (both up and out).

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I just let monks move/jump anywhere they want up to their movement after 9th level. Don't bore me with the math.

The rule of thumb is this: if it's possible for an action star with a fight choreographer and a full team of riggers to do with months of planning and days of setup up, it's possible for a high-level monk to do.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I just let monks move/jump anywhere they want up to their movement after 9th level. Don't bore me with the math.

The rule of thumb is this: if it's possible for an action star with a fight choreographer and a full team of riggers to do with months of planning and days of setup up, it's possible for a high-level monk to do.

With the addendum of extending this to high level fighters and rogues as well, agreed.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Maybe I'm just being generous here, but at 16th level I don't think I'm gonna sweat where the monk is "supposed" to land. They want to land right next to the wall? Sure. They want to land away from the wall in a more natural arc? Sure. They want to land on the enemy and ride it like a bucking bronco, sounds like a grapple check.

Remove ads