Monks disarming.

Lord Ben

First Post
What size is your hand when you disarm? If you disarm with a rapier and have a free hand is that enough to grab the weapon or can you only grab with the hand you disarmed with?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
PH, page 97, says that an unarmed strike is two size categories smaller than the creature using it. So a Medium-size creature's unarmed strikes are considered Tiny.

You can only grab the weapon if you succeed with an unarmed disarm. You need the feat Snatch Weapon (from S&S) to grab the weapon after disarming it with a rapier.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
A character's unarmed strike is always considered to be two size categories smaller than the character.

Therefore, a medium character is using a tiny weapon to attempt the disarm. This makes Monks really really bad at disarming. A house rule suggested in S&F is to allow Monks to make a two handed disarm attempt, which would make their unarmed attack be treated as if it were the character's size category instead.

As to wether or not you can grab a dis-armed weapon with your off-hand, I would probably allow it. I don't think any official rules cover it, but I do seem to recall there being something about it in Song and Silence.

Hope that helps.

Lord Ben

First Post
Thanks, I was just working on some tactics for a pair of 4th level Monks in my game. I was thinking that disarming the fighter would be nice since he usually dual wields. Can you use flurry of blows with a quarterstaff? It seems like it'd be a Monk weapon. I thought this was errata'd somewhere to let them use Qstaffs.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
By the D&D core rules, a quarterstaff is not a special monk weapon and cannot be used in a flurry of blows attack. There is no errata on this, but OA monks do include quarterstaves as special monk weapons along with others such as butterfly swords.

I think some DM's have rule 0'd that quarterstaves will count as special monk weapons. In this case, you use the quarterstaff in your flurry of blows just like the other monk special weapons. You should not get 1.5 times your strength bonus either. Just the normal full bonus.

Remove ads