Monk's UBAB and multiclassing

Ristamar

Adventurer
I have to agree with Cl1mh4224rd's interpretation. When this debate came up a little over a year ago, the Sage provided the same interpretation, and has offered that exact interpretation several times since then. As far as the Core Rules go, Cl1mh4224rd is 100% correct, IMO.

On the other hand, I believe the OA interpretation is also correct, within the context of OA. Just as the FRCS has a few unique or adjusted rules that go against the Core Rules, OA has it's own exceptions, as well. The new monk BAB/UBAB stacking method is likely one of those 'adjusted' rules to give the setting a unique flavor and theme.

Zhure

First Post
Sticking with just the "core" material then,

"Monk Base Attack Bonus: The monk is a special case because her additional unarmed attacks are better than her base attack bonus would suggest. For a multiclass monk fighting unarmed, the character must either use the additional attacks given for her monk levels (only) or the additional attacks that are standard for her combined base attack bonus, but not both. "

It says the same thing. As with a few other rare cases, the Sage is just plain wrong.
Greg

graydoom

First Post
Zhure said:
Sticking with just the "core" material then,

"Monk Base Attack Bonus: The monk is a special case because her additional unarmed attacks are better than her base attack bonus would suggest. For a multiclass monk fighting unarmed, the character must either use the additional attacks given for her monk levels (only) or the additional attacks that are standard for her combined base attack bonus, but not both. "

It says the same thing. As with a few other rare cases, the Sage is just plain wrong.
Greg
I'd like to second this. Note that it specifically mentions additional attacks.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Woops

*smacks himself* You know, it would've helped if I had read the previous posts a bit more thoroughly. As it turns out, I meant to agree with hong/OA method in the first place. I need to be more careful.

The example in the PHB, as you had pointed out, is quite clear, and that is the method I use. I think I must've been confusing multiclassed UBAB progression with using Flurry of Blows as a multiclassed monk. Er, something along those lines, anyway... *shake* Sorry 'bout that.

graydoom

First Post
Re: Woops

Ristamar said:
*smacks himself* You know, it would've helped if I had read the previous posts a bit more thoroughly. As it turns out, I meant to agree with hong/OA method in the first place. I need to be more careful.

The example in the PHB, as you had pointed out, is quite clear, and that is the method I use. I think I must've been confusing multiclassed UBAB progression with using Flurry of Blows as a multiclassed monk. Er, something along those lines, anyway... *shake* Sorry 'bout that.
Heh, no problem. I realized I was wrong after my first post in this thread, too :(. At least I understand it now!

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Woops

graydoom said:

Heh, no problem. I realized I was wrong after my first post in this thread, too :(. At least I understand it now!
Yeah, this thread is a practice in keeping everyone and their thoghts straight.

--Tied Up Spikey

Ranger REG

Explorer
When it comes to multiclass monk's unarmed attack, just choose the better attack bonus: BAB or UBAB.

The UBAB is forever linked with the monk's class level (as well as unarmed damage), not character level. If you gain a level in another class with monk-like UBAB, then you stack 'em (a reflection of your advancement in your training as a monk or monk-like prestige class). Otherwise, stack with the monk's BAB.

Remove ads