• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks wearing armor

Toj

First Post
Can a monk wear Bracers of Armor, or is he limited to rings of protection and amulets of natural armor?

Toj

First Post
Hrm... seems not to make sense.

I figured the reason monks get the AC bonus from wisdom and level was because they couldn't wear armor....

but if they can, well that's really not a weakness.

I guess it does factor in at lower levels, where they won't have access to the bracers.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Toj said:
I figured the reason monks get the AC bonus from wisdom and level was because they couldn't wear armor....

Bracers of Armor is not armor because it is magic item that duplicates the Mage Armor spell.

Non-magical bracers do not give any armor bonus therefore are bracers not armor.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Toj said:
Hrm... seems not to make sense.

but if they can, well that's really not a weakness.

I guess it does factor in at lower levels, where they won't have access to the bracers.

The armor bonus that the bracers provide is less than what real magic armor would give you. They also take up a magic item slot. Monks also lose a slot from not being able to wear armor (or use shields.)

Besides, who ever said that monks not wearing armor was a weakness?

ConcreteBuddha said:

Besides, who ever said that monks not wearing armor was a weakness?

True dat, monk levels almost always play a part in high AC smackdowns. From all reports the typical monk has a better AC than everyone except the sword-and-board Cleric with 2 Magic vestments going. Even the crappy NPC monk in the DMG has the best AC, right next to the Fighter.

Remove ads