D&D General Monster ENCyclopedia Index

Cleon

Legend
A few of the monsters in Echohawk's ENCyclopedia have variants that aren't currently in the Creature Catalog, so I fancy converting them.

Firstly, as I mentioned in the Lamia thread, we don't have a CC conversion for the Sa'ir.

Secondly, I spent a large chunk of Sunday comparing the various Kraken and Giant Squid entries, and we are missing four variant Krakens:
  1. In original OD&D, the Kraken is the monster in A Merritt's Dwellers in the Mirage, not the sea monster.
  2. In BECMI, Kraken are quite different from the AD&D/3E+ version, so I fancy statting it as a "Mystaran Kraken".
  3. In AD&D's Birthright setting, The Kraken is an awnshegh in Blood Enemies (1995)
  4. Birthright also has an Undead Kraken in Legacy of the Hero-Kings (1996)

So does anyone have any preferences which of the above to convert first? If no one objects, I'm inclined to just go through them in the order they're presented in - so it'd be the Sa'ir first.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that in Mystara a Catoblepas is called a "Nekrozon" and has immunity to energy drain and death effects, but I don't feel that's enough of a difference to merit a new CC entry, especially as the Catoblepas was given official 3E stats in Monster Manual III.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll agree with all that, but let's leave this thread for Echohawk to post updates and put the Sa'ir and various Krakens in the appropriate other places.

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree with all that, but let's leave this thread for Echohawk to post updates and put the Sa'ir and various Krakens in the appropriate other places.

That's what I was planning. It's better to leave this thread for the ENCyclopedia updates.

For the conversions, I was thinking:

The Sa'ir will be in Converting monsters from Dragon magazine.

The "Hyborian" Kraken and Mystaran Kraken will be in Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters.

The Awnshegh Kraken and Undead Kraken from the Birthright Setting will be in Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings.

Hopefully I'll have time to start the Sa'ir conversion once I finish work today.

I'll update this post with links to the Working Drafts of the creatures as we start them - assuming I can remember to do it!

EDIT: Started Sa'ir Working Draft.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases