D&D 5E Monster Manual Alphabetization

What form of Monster Manual organization would you prefer?

• Fully Alphabetical

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Mostly Alphabetical (as in current printings)

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Fully Categorical

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Other (describe below)

Votes: 1 1.8%

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I would prefer demons and devils be grouped, but I can understand the change........though, frankly, as much as I LOVE physical books, I almost always use DnDBeyond for WotC material anyway......so it likely doesn't matter.

Tallifer

Hero
I prefer Categories for a Table of Contents and book order: alphabetical order is for the index. When I am choosing a kind of demon, dragon etc, I want to find them all in one place for easy browsing and preparation.

Flapping Turtles and Eagle Sharks belong together.

17 Flapping Turtle script edit resize.JPG

(From my D&D webcomic Tales from the Gnomish Tarot )

Li Shenron

Legend
I would be more amused by a monsters book organized in chapters by type, theme or terrain.

But I think this is because my own habit of READING the monsters books first, and using them later. Or rather, not liking to use them at all at the table, where I just use copies of the stats.

Because of that, I don't need an alphabetical order, the index is enough.

I mostly like the current organization. But with all the Demons, Devils, and Dragons, D's take up 20-some percent of the book, which is not inapproprate to a game called "D&D", but while flipping through I do tend to get thrown off of where I am in the alphabet by having so many major categories packed right next to each other.

Just having more prominent markings on the individual pages of larger categories would help.

Lojaan

Hero
I'd prefer them to be arranged by environment personally. Easy enough to have an alphabetized index. Don't need the entries to be alphabetized.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I like the traditional format. Primarily alphabetical, but with groups of closely related creatures of a shared type (Dragons, Devils, Demons, and Giants, for example) grouped together under that shared type.

The appendices of the 5E monster manual annoys me a good deal because quite a few of those monsters should have proper alphabetical entries; if there were one strictly comprised of nonmagical animals and one of NPCs, that would make more sense.

And yes, a fully alphabetical index should also be included.

Remove ads