D&D 5E Monster Manuals - Too Many, Not Enough?

Rogerd1

Adventurer
As per the title, what are your thoughts?

Which one or ones are the best.
And obviously, why?

You can include 3PP stuff too.

JEB

Legend
I don't think you can ever have too many monster books. Always good to have new foes to keep your players on their toes, or new creatures to add depth and color to your world beyond the basics. I think they're also a pretty good way to hook new players - that's how I got into the game as a kid, and my friends' kids also seem to like paging through a well-done bestiary.

As for best? I think 5E's Monster Manual is the best core monster book the game has produced - which isn't something I say lightly. An excellent and sizable best-of selection; interesting, fun, and highly readable lore; striking artwork and layout. (2E's Monstrous Manual wins on quantity, and is certainly my nostalgic favorite, but 5E still beats it out on writing and design.)

Of the two non-core monster books, I'd rate Volo's Guide to Monsters above Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes - the selection of monsters in the former book seems better at inspiring adventure ideas, and I've definitely tapped into it more for my games. That doesn't make the latter book bad, by any stretch, just a little less useful.

I haven't read as many third-party 5E monster books as I'd like (though I certainly have a stack queued up, both in print and in PDF). However, I have read through the Tome of Beasts, which is pretty good. Its only overall issue IMHO is that the monsters feel like they're drawn from very different sources, and the tone isn't always consistent; but the good in it compensates.

I am collector, and one of things I like to buy is the monster manuals, but good monsters should be adventure hooks or source of inspiration of new stories, not only a new undead with different list of powers or the classic "monster of the week".

Last edited:

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I'm with Paul on this one. There are times when less is more.

I much prefer the current 5E single Monster Manual, followed by occasional books like VGtM and MToF that provide much more depth to the creatures in the game, than endless reams of uninspired stat blocks for increasingly strange and improbable creatures.

I have hard copies of the 3.5 Monster Manual 1 through 4, plus Fiend Folio, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, the Draconomicon, Drow of the Underdark, and the two fiendish codices. I sold off many of my third party 3.0/3.5 monster books, except for my Ravenloft and Midnight collection. I seldom used anything beyond the original Monster Manual or setting specific books in game, but really enjoyed seeking inspiration/lore in the more focused books. And of course, I have just as many 1E and 2E monster books.

Same goes for PFRPG 1.0 - I have hard copies of Bestiaries 1-4, FGG's Tome of Horrors Complete and ToH 4, Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary, and others I'm probably forgetting.

I currently prefer 5E, but consider new monster books (whether WotC or 3rd party) low on my priority list. While this may partly be due to the fact that I don't GM or even play nearly as often as I would like to, ultimately, I prefer quality to quantity.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Look, it takes a lot of books to make a unique monster out of every different name of every historical monster, plus at least 8 swings ate recapturing the lightning in the bottle that the gith apparently were, a dragon for every conceivable color and an interminable number of demons and devils no one will ever use while never EVER statting plain old humans.

But I love it except for all the demons and anything that came from Lovec---the far realms.

3E's MMII was my favorite. I had a long and torrid love affair with using Clockwork Horrors.

Remove ads