Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Love it.
A small correction in the Regeneration entry of the vampire spawn.
It says that "the vampire regenerates 10 hp" the entry should say "the vampire SPAWN regenerates 10 hp...". The same occurs in the Monster Manual.
FYI, in the MM the vampire spawn is simply referred to as “vampire” in the stat block, just as it is done here.

Stalker0

Legend
So again I like the subtle differences between the O5e and LU Vampires, which is good for the backwards compatibility that is a advertising hallmark of the game.

The LU vampire is 2 CR lower but its not that much weaker than O5e (again showcasing that standard monsters have often been over CRed in O5e, something that experience has proven out over time). The charm is "technically" a little weaker as the OG version specifically calls out that the victim will protect the vampire, whereas the LU one is the standard friend. However, the ability to use the charm as a defensive reaction is gold.

To me the real highlight is the bite. As more of the LU's damage is focused on the bite, the extra max HP damage combined with the strife will ensure that a party feels a vampire encounter long after the fight is over. That is a common criticism of undead in 5e, there lack of debilitating effects, and so its great to LU bringing some of that back.

Ahks

Villiage ID10T
Is that 85 pages of Dragons?
1632001724440.png

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Really like the shift from +6 to hit 21(4d8+3) to dc14 con save for 21(6d6) with a passive fear aura. The default o5e wraith is almost harmless because of that sad tohit & seeing the gm dig out 6d6 invokes a different kind of dread than knowing that the gm is going to add something to 4d8. That Wraith Lord deserves the title :D

dave2008

Legend
@duneguy and/or @Morrus : I do have a question about the wraith's life drain. I would love it if you could clarify how strife inflicting attacks work. Do they stack or not? If the wraith hits the same creature (or two wraiths) with strife, do the effects stack so that the target would now have 2 levels of strife?

I assumed they would, because I think that is the general rule with exhaustion, but I wasn't sure if that is the same in LevelUp. Thanks!

Faolyn

(she/her)
The Wraith Lord stats will make it a lot easier to create Saidra, should my Ravenloft players ever make it into Dementlieu.

Stalker0

Legend
Its interesting that life drain does strife instead of fatigue considering the con save. If its more of a spiritual "soul sucking" kind of thing I would expect a charisma save (some would go wisdom but cha seems the best save for soul based effects to me).

If it is a true draining of life (physical) force, I would expect fatigue instead of strife.

All of that said, this wraith looks solid. I really like the touch that radiant damage stops the incorporeal nature. My nitpick, considering how useful incorporeal movement is, it would be nice if the combat block touched on it more....using the movement to avoid OAs or even taking the damage for remaining in an object if it avoids the attacks of strong opponents. Wraiths have decent intelligence so they will certainly use some tactics.

Remove ads