Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Stalker0

Legend
I don’t know if there are statistics for how common bludgeoning weapons are, but I know no one in my group has one! I would think with the popularity of swords, double damage would be less common than you seem to think
Pick up a stick! Improvised weapon sure so I lose my +2 proficiency bonus to hit. But at double my damage against such a crazy low AC, heck yeah I'll sacrifice a little bit of attack bonus.

Pick up a stick! Improvised weapon sure so I lose my +2 proficiency bonus to hit. But at double my damage against such a crazy low AC, heck yeah I'll sacrifice a little bit of attack bonus.
That assumes there is an improvised weapon available. Then I need to lose an action to switch weapons, just to get 2d4 damage. I would rather whack it with my 2d6 greatsword

edit: To be clear, I don’t understand why the horde is resistant to bludgeoning either. I just don’t think it’s such a big advantage as you seem to make it.

Stalker0

Legend
That assumes there is an improvised weapon available. Then I need to lose an action to switch weapons, just to get 2d4 damage. I would rather whack it with my 2d6 greatsword

edit: To be clear, I don’t understand why the horde is resistant to bludgeoning either. I just don’t think it’s such a big advantage as you seem to make it.
Switching a weapon I believe is generally covered under the "use an action" clause, so you can often do that as part of an action. But that said I could see a DM requiring an action.

But note that the improvised weapons section generally allows you to use the weapon damage, unless the object is wholly incompatible (such as using an arrow for a melee weapon). But grabbing a big stick and using it as a club seems well within bounds.

So a greatclub does 1d8 + 3 (assuming the usual 16 in main stat that is very common at low levels).... or 2d8 +6 with vulnerability (avg 15). Compared to the average 2d6 + 3 = 10....so about 50% more total damage.

Switching a weapon I believe is generally covered under the "use an action" clause, so you can often do that as part of an action. But that said I could see a DM requiring an action.

But note that the improvised weapons section generally allows you to use the weapon damage, unless the object is wholly incompatible (such as using an arrow for a melee weapon). But grabbing a big stick and using it as a club seems well within bounds.

So a greatclub does 1d8 + 3 (assuming the usual 16 in main stat that is very common at low levels).... or 2d8 +6 with vulnerability (avg 15). Compared to the average 2d6 + 3 = 10....so about 50% more total damage.
Yep, my DM would never adjudicate it that way. A stick, if there is one, is not a club - let alone a great club. That is to far if a stretch for our group. I do remember once some one did something like this and the DM rules the log/stick broke after contact. I just think you assume to much.

Remove ads