[MONSTERS] Design Discussion and Preview

booboo

First Post
I like small stat blocks, lot of the extra details could be examined in the spine of monsters section of the book.

BryonD

Hero
Are you referring to the stat block or this thread containing multiple topics? If things are getting cluttered, we can fork the thread.
I was referencing the stat block.

It had been suggested that the size statement of the stat block include the CMB modifier. Thus you would have information regarding the CMB many lines away from the record of the actual CMB.
Better to say:
CMB: +8 (+3 BAB, +1 Size, +4 Str)

Than:
Example Monster of Death
Size: Large (+3 CMB)
stats
stats
stats
BAB: +3
stats
stats
stats
Abilities
Str: 18 Dex: 14 Con: 16
Int: 4 Wis: 8 Chr: 10
stats
stats
CMB: +8

Toy Boy

First Post
In the game that I am running, I find that the PCs can handle the encounters as written very easily. Perhaps they are just an exceptional group. I have made modifications using the encounter buy table in Trailblazer but I'd like a much easier way of increasing CR. The idea of monsters at various levels of CR would be great. I would use these pre-built baddies all the time. Not to mention that it gives a little more flavor to the monster.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
In the game that I am running, I find that the PCs can handle the encounters as written very easily. Perhaps they are just an exceptional group.

Sounds like a tough group.

If you had to put them on a spectrum of power with "1" being "Darth Vader" and "10" being "Superman," how would they rate?

Toy Boy

First Post
I'd rate them around Wolverine.

Will those who buy the paperback also get access to the PDF? I like the idea of printing the monsters that I will use in the game, but I also would like and actual book to reference when preparing.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
I've been tweaking the stat block and working on some test creatures, specifically those that use natural and manufactured weapons.

One of the entries I've been toying with is the BAB/CMB/CMD line.

For example, the medusa has Weapon Finesse, which changes the CMB and CMD values for certain combat maneuvers since some allow the use of weapon feats and some do not.

For creatures like this, what formatting option do you prefer?

BAB +6; CMB +6; CMD 18

BAB +6; CMB +6 (+8 with dagger); CMD 18 (20 with dagger)

BAB +6; CMB +6 (+6 BAB, +0 Str); CMD 18 (12 touch, +6 BAB, +0 Str)

BAB +6; CMB +6 (+6 BAB, +0 Str) or +8 with dagger; CMD 18 (12 touch, +6 BAB, +0 Str) or 20 with dagger

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For creatures like this, what formatting option do you prefer?

[...]

BAB +6; CMB +6 (+8 with dagger); CMD 18 (20 with dagger)

I prefer this one, which is odd because usually I'm in favor of stats that show how they were constructed.

EDIT: If the book is supposed to place an emphasis on monsters being easily customized on the fly, however, I think that this one is the better option:

GlassJaw said:
BAB +6; CMB +6 (+6 BAB, +0 Str) or +8 with dagger; CMD 18 (12 touch, +6 BAB, +0 Str) or 20 with dagger

Yes, it's quite hefty in terms of presentation, but putting everything there prevents the DM from having to do the "heavy lifting" on their own when deciding that this medusa uses a quarterstaff instead of a dagger, for example.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
My suggestion was not to include Weapon Finesse into CMB/CMD at all. <shrug>

I still feel like 3e players are decrying the complexity of the rules one moment and yet demanding total transparency to every last bonus/penalty the next.

What do you gain by knowing where the bonuses are derived from, if ultimately you're not going to sweat the small stuff?

On the other hand I definitely see the advantage of making it "correct" if you're going to go through the effort of printing it in a book. I just don't want the extra information in the statblock to negatively impact usability. (It's a UI issue, really.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases