• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters not dishing enough damage

HP Dreadnought

First Post
Parties with two defenders and two leaders tend to have an easy time in encounters.

Artilleries and Controllers should be your worst enemies.

Have you fought much of them?

Yeah, they have proved more difficult for us in the past. Our party power/item makeup is gradually evolving to counter the threat.

HP Dreadnought

First Post
Given your situation have the DM add +1/2 level to the creatures damage rolls and see if that helps?

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what we were considering doing. We've got 1 player who wants to wait until the end of the campaign to make any changes. . . but I think 12 levels is plenty of time to identify a problem and fix it.

Hmmmm. Yeah, dunno. Nothing really jumps out at me as being either a strange rules interpretation (I have seen some groups with some odd ones!) that makes things easier, nor does your party seem ultra optimized from what I can tell, though it looks like everyone is using some of the better options. I think I would chalk it up to a combination of well-built characters, really good use of tactics, a good party mix, and maybe possibly the DMs or encounter design are not quite up to your tactical level.

I agree with Keterys though, there are combinations of monsters that SHOULD prove to be quite challenging. There are some really nice stinky combinations out there like an Eidolon plus some obnoxious skirmisher style minions and something that can reuse minions like a sword wraith. Throw in something that can either do some nice lockdown on one of the defenders or good ranged damage.

How about a demonweb terror and a bunch of war trolls? hehe.

Turtlejay

First Post
I have little experience in Paragon, but the DM throwing some curveballs at you could make things tougher. How are you all at Skill Challenges? Incorporated into Combat challenges? Split the party. Sure, you have 2 leaders and 2 defenders, but that means you can't focus fire as well and monsters have more rounds to wear you down. Instead of concentrating on more monsters that do more damage, the DM can try underhanded tactics. One of my favorites was a oneshot where I created an entounter where all the creeps had darkvision and a couple of them had the ability to create zones of magical darkness. Introduce difficult terrain features or situations that force the party to use less efficient tactics (like hostages or running battles).

In short, your party seems to have done a good job building PC's, now your DMs need to match you with encounter building. Ho hum plane jane encounters will be nothing to you guys, becuase you seem to not be plane jane yourself. Houseruling is a bandaid that treats the symptom, not the problem.

Jay

D3nt3

First Post
I AM the DM and my level 6-7 party is well built with a good warrior, a paladin, a rogue, a cleric and a barbarian.

It turned out that all same-level based encounters were not enough to make them spend even their encounter powers.

I just brought 2 of them down once, and i had to use a solo controller level 8, four or five artillery level 7, two soldiers level 9 and a few lurkers level 4 against the level 5 party. Still, I lost the battle.

I feel unbalance in the force.

I mean: There are level 3 players with +12 attack roll and AC value of 22, fighting regular monster with AC 17 and +8 attack roll. Make the math.

sfedi

First Post
I mean: There are level 3 players with +12 attack roll and AC value of 22, fighting regular monster with AC 17 and +8 attack roll. Make the math.
Uh? How's that?

A standard level 6-7 monster should have a +11 or +12 to hit ACs, a +9 or +10 to hit NADs and an AC about 20 or 21.

This may go up or down depending on monster role.

eamon

Explorer
Thats a regular level 6 mosnter. I was talking about regulars level 3 player against regulars level 3 monsters

If your level 3 players have an average of 22AC and a +12 attack, they're very, very strong. Are they "legal" PCs? I'm playing in a level 5 campaign, and I don't think anyone has a +12 attack bonus, and only the defenders have 22AC.

Blackbrrd

First Post
If your level 3 players have an average of 22AC and a +12 attack, they're very, very strong. Are they "legal" PCs? I'm playing in a level 5 campaign, and I don't think anyone has a +12 attack bonus, and only the defenders have 22AC.
AC 22 at level 3 = +1 Fullplate + Heavy Shield + Level bonus

+11 attack bonus at level 3: +5 from stat, +1 expertise +3 weapon prof. +1 level +1 from magic weapon

A +12 attack bonus seems a bit fishy? You can use at-will powers like brash strike to get a +13 attack bonus at level 13 as a fighter for instance...

Last edited:

Remove ads