D&D 5E Monte Cook Games Announces "Path of the Planebreaker" for 5E

Monte Cook Games has announced a new 5E supplement book: Path of the Planebreaker! It describes new planes, creatures, races, subclasses, feats, and spells for D&D 5th Edition. Monte Cook is no stranger to D&D plane-based material. He not only produced Beyond Countless Doorways for D&D 3E, but also wrote numerous Planescape supplements for TSR. Path of the Planebreaker hits Kickstarter in...

Monte Cook Games has announced a new 5E supplement book: Path of the Planebreaker! It describes new planes, creatures, races, subclasses, feats, and spells for D&D 5th Edition.

Monte Cook is no stranger to D&D plane-based material. He not only produced Beyond Countless Doorways for D&D 3E, but also wrote numerous Planescape supplements for TSR.

Path of the Planebreaker hits Kickstarter in October.

Planebreaker-Kickstarter-Project-Image-for-Signups-2021-09-16.jpg

Path of the Planebreaker is a sourcebook that brings the wonders, terrors, mysteries, and treasures of new, alternate worlds—plus the inexplicable Planebreaker, an ever-travelling moon—to 5th edition players and GMs. It includes:

Dozens of brand-new planes to explore and adventure in
A bestiary of planar creatures
Playable planar species for PCs
New planar class options for players including new subclasses
Exciting new feats and spells to help you explore these new planes
This gorgeously illustrated 192-page hardcover sourcebook gives you everything you need to add whole new dimensions to your 5e game.

Path of the Planebreaker is by legendary RPG designers Bruce R. Cordell, Sean K Reynolds, and Monte Cook. All three are well known for their work on D&D—across four editions—as well as titles such as Planescape, Arcana Evolved, Pathfinder, HeroClix, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Ptolus, Numenera, the Cypher System, Invisible Sun, and so much more.

Don’t miss the Kickstarter this October—sign up to find out as soon as the Kickstarter launches! We’ll let you know when the project is live so you can download a free preview of Path of the Planebreaker.

Tsuga C

Adventurer
Couldn't disagree more. Plenty of us older players are more than willing to see new takes on old ideas. I hope it ISN'T planescape.
Time will tell. In my experience "new and improved" usually isn't and proves to be more a case of two steps forward, five steps backward. If it's Planescape, simply update it for the 5th Ed. rules. If it's something else, then make it something else and NAME IT something else so as not to cheaply and parasitically glom on to the good name and reputation of a previous product.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Time will tell. In my experience "new and improved" usually isn't and proves to be more a case of two steps forward, five steps backward. If it's Planescape, simply update it for the 5th Ed. rules. If it's something else, then make it something else and NAME IT something else so as not to cheaply and parasitically glom on to the good name and reputation of a previous product.
To be clear: Planebreaker is NOT Planescape.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
You got it!

I suspect that anyone who loved Planescape will also really dig Planebreaker--obviously the subject matter is similar in many regards, as is the breadth of play it opens up. But it's definitely its own thing.
do we have anything more concrete to go on yet?

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Do you mean: Do we have a more detailed description of the book's contents than what's in the announcement? No, that'll all roll out in the Kickstarter itself later this month. If you have specific questions, though, feel free to post them--I'll answer what I can.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Do you mean: Do we have a more detailed description of the book's contents than what's in the announcement? No, that'll all roll out in the Kickstarter itself later this month. If you have specific questions, though, feel free to post them--I'll answer what I can.
you answered my question thank you, what date exactly?

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
We rarely get super specific on launches (Kickstarter, products, etc.), not because we like to make people's lives hard or keep them guessing, but because every so often you get bit in the butt by a factor outside your control. It will be in the back half of the month. Sorry I can't be more exact!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We rarely get super specific on launches (Kickstarter, products, etc.), not because we like to make people's lives hard or keep them guessing, but because every so often you get bit in the butt by a factor outside your control. It will be in the back half of the month. Sorry I can't be more exact!
I'm just glad it wasn't this week!

Remove ads

Remove ads