Pathfinder 1E Monte Cook joins Pathfinder team

BryonD

Hero
Windjammer said:
Finally, Pathfinder RPG is, from what we can tell in its latest (pre-)release, most decidedly not D&D 3.5. It's not even clear that it's backward compatible, not clear that you'd have to swap deities, background world, adjust your monsters' CRs and so on. And something similar goes for Monte's recent Book of Experimental Might. These things take work to integrate into a running 3.5 game.
That is highly debatable.
Yeah, the deities and geography are different, but by that standard Eberron and the Realms are not compatible with 3.5 either....
CRs and such???? pffft not remotely.
If you want to debate it, please start another thread rather than derailing the great news here. But as a statement of fact the claim of "a lot of work" is way way off base.

Windjammer

Adventurer
BryonD said:
CRs and such???? pffft not remotely.
If you want to debate it, please start another thread rather than derailing the great news here. But as a statement of fact the claim of "a lot of work" is way way off base.
If you look at Paizo's forums you see the same concerns echoed there. The only reason why we're not talking about "facts" here is that Pre-Release Alpha 2.0 is something else from the hardcover that's going to hit the shelves in August 2009. So my interest in "debate" at this point is nil.

BryonD

Hero
Windjammer said:
If you look at Paizo's forums you see the same concerns echoed there. The only reason why we're not talking about "facts" here is that Pre-Release Alpha 2.0 is something else from the hardcover that's going to hit the shelves in August 2009. So my interest in "debate" at this point is nil.
If only your interest in blowing things out of porportion matched your interest in debate....

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I just read this in my email, and wanted to chime in here on the boards with a "Woohoo!!"

[EDIT- According to Jason Bulmahn on the Paizo boards, it looks like some of Monte's recent BoEM and its sequels rules will be incorporated into Pathfinder.]

Last edited:

crow81 said:
Your a brave man jumping head first into 4e sight unseen.

Good Luck

Congrats should also go to all the players sticking with Pathfinder. It just shows that the people who know D&D know 4e ain't it

I find your post a little confusing. On one hand you say that johnnype is a brave man for jumping head first into 4e sight unseen. On the other hand you say that the people who know D&D know 4e ain't it.

How can they know 4e ain't D&D when it hasn't actually been released yet?

Myself, I'm not sure what to make of Monte joining Pathfinder as a "rules consultant". He could have quite an influence on the final product, or he could just be a "face" to generate publicity and attention for Pathfinder. I imagine it will be more the former than the latter but you never know.

Olaf the Stout

Do we forget that Monte Cook is the name on the cover of the original 3.0 core rulebooks? I'd also argue that he has a tendency to create overly complicated game elements, too. He's also the writer of the much disliked Book of Vile Darkness.

I admit his stuff has always been interesting, but I've never really enjoyed it from a mechanical perspective. I worry about Monte's influence on a system that is supposed to streamline and fix the 3.x rules.

Honestly if I stick to 3.x rather than convert to 4e, I'll stick to WotC's version with some personal tweaks. I think the Pathfinder RPG might stem a slight bit too far from backwards compatibility. It already starting too look as backwards compatible as 3.5 rules looked to 3.0. Sure there's a couple of nods here and there, but there are already some elements of existing 3.5 materials that won't really fit with Pathfinder RPG.

By the way, it's my opinion that if WotC were releasing a system identical to what Pathfinder RPG is looking like, these forums would be flooded with complaints for at least a year, but because it's Paizo, it's acceptable.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
amaril said:
By the way, it's my opinion that if WotC were releasing a system identical to what Pathfinder RPG is looking like, these forums would be flooded with complaints for at least a year, but because it's Paizo, it's acceptable.

Maybe. But Paizo is only releasing Pathfinder, period, because WOTC is killing 3.x prematurely.

Do we really need all these 4e trolls in this thread? How about 4e fans stay in the 4e section and threads, and 3x fans stay in 3.x threads...

Remove ads