D&D 5E Monte Cook's Ptolus Kickstarter Has Launched

This is one of MCG's luxury products - at nearly 700 pages depicting a massive, detailed fantasy city, we're looking at $150 for the book, or $40 for the PDF, either for D&D 5E or Cypher System.

368bdca57043b7894c722d3b476987f4_original.jpg

"Monte Cook’s legendary campaign setting, Ptolus, is being updated for both Fifth Edition and the Cypher System.

At 672 beautiful pages, Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire isn’t just huge. Top-notch art and abundant cartography grace virtually every page. Innovative features make the premium-quality book uniquely easy to navigate and use. Physical and digital extras include handouts, player maps, and posters, totaling hundreds of pages. Nearly 1,000 pages in all!

And that’s not all: Most backer levels include a massive library of every single existing Ptolus product. Get the original version of Ptolus plus 26 additional PDF titles—2100 pages of content worth over $250—so you can explore the city and plan for your adventures right away."

You can also download a free 32-page introductory Player's Guide.

Last edited:

seankreynolds

Adventurer
How did you get a pdf? Did you back the KS? I ordered $149 print version at the beginning of Feb from Monte Cooks website. I just realized I either didn't buy the pdf (unlikely) or just wasnt offered, ICR. I just checked my account on the website and theres no options to DL the pdf.

The normal timeline for MCG releases is:
1) Kickstarter backers (and there's usually a print + PDF backer level)
2) Preorder customers (sometimes there's a PDF option, and in the case of Ptolus there is one)
3) Book released for sale to the public on the MCG Shop and DriveThruRPG.

The time increment between each of these steps varies from project to project. I'm sure the preorder people will get an email soon. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well those are "dracha" and "mojh" for starters. I seem to recall that dracha also have wings that can be used for gliding (and later flying). So apart from both being "dragon humanoids," they seem different enough from dragonborn. And if dragonborn are in the far east on the giants' continent on Praemal, then wouldn't that also be as much of a breach of the ancient pact with the giants as the giants in the lands of the Diamond Throne?
And the gnomes in Praemal are loresong faen in the Ptolus book, but don't at all match the loresong faen from AU. It's not a one to one match. It'd be better for me to say that a version of the Lands of the Diamond Throne, with PHB-standard races, likely exists west of Praemal.

And when you say "breach of the ancient pact," I say "great campaign hook."

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
The normal timeline for MCG releases is:
1) Kickstarter backers (and there's usually a print + PDF backer level)
2) Preorder customers (sometimes there's a PDF option, and in the case of Ptolus there is one)
3) Book released for sale to the public on the MCG Shop and DriveThruRPG.

The time increment between each of these steps varies from project to project. I'm sure the preorder people will get an email soon. :)
Thanks Ill check back in a few days.

How did you get a pdf? Did you back the KS? I ordered $149 print version at the beginning of Feb from Monte Cooks website. I just realized I either didn't buy the pdf (unlikely) or just wasnt offered, ICR. I just checked my account on the website and theres no options to DL the pdf.
Yeah, I backed the KS for the hard copy + PDF.

Aldarc

Legend
And when you say "breach of the ancient pact," I say "great campaign hook."
Normally, I would too, except it's a bit repetitive considering that the dragons are complaining that the giants of the Diamond Throne are the ones who broke their pact by landing on and conquering the Diamond Throne. 🤷‍♂️

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Normally, I would too, except it's a bit repetitive considering that the dragons are complaining that the giants of the Diamond Throne are the ones who broke their pact by landing on and conquering the Diamond Throne. 🤷‍♂️
I'm viewing this from the perspective of someone DMing a Ptolus game, not an AU game. This is an added complication for a different setting that echoes what happens in AU and deepens a sense that there's a world that extends beyond Cherubar to the west.

Also, you're not required to do this in your own game.

GlassJaw

Hero
Got my pdf over the weekend. It's soooo nice! I missed out on the original so really looking forward to the hardcover.

Just wondering what the status of the 5E conversion for Banewarrens is. It's listed on the KS campaign page but I haven't seen any other mention of it. Thanks!

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Got my pdf over the weekend. It's soooo nice! I missed out on the original so really looking forward to the hardcover.

Just wondering what the status of the 5E conversion for Banewarrens is. It's listed on the KS campaign page but I haven't seen any other mention of it. Thanks!

It'll be later this year. We're writing three new Ptolus adventures, then converting Banewarrens and Night of Dissolution.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases