D&D 5E Moon Domain?

Zardnaar

Legend
I am looking at converting the moon Domain to 5E form the 3.5 Spell Compendium along with several spells from 2E's Faiths and Avatars.

Just wondering what seplls from 5E you could put in a moon domain?

1st. Faerie Fire
2. Moonbeam

Also any ideas on these spells.

Moonbladelevel 3 (3.5 touch attack, 2d8+1 per caster level) messes up concentration)

5E conversion 2 d8 radiant damage, spellcaster has disadvantage on any concentration roll if hit? Duration 1 minute bonus action casting time?

Moonbolt 4th level spell 3.5 1d4 points of strength damage/3 caster levels
5E some sort of status effect/exhaustion?

Moonlust
1st level spell, fascinates a target.

Moonpath (5th level)
Creates a beridge of light you can walk on (converts as is almost?)

Moonbow (5th level)
1d6 lightning damage/ 2caster levels per round, 4 motes.

5d6 guiding bolt every round duration 1 minute? Perhaps make it a Ranger spell that can enhance arrows?

aco175

Legend
Check 5e spells, I do not think that they get more powerful by caster level anymore. There is no +X damage per caster level or deals (XdY) damage per 3 caster levels. Any of the spells I can think of deal something like 6d6 damage plus 1d6 if you cast it as a higher level slot.

You can also have spells like see invisibility and spells dealing with lycanthropes. Maybe something that cures them?

Zardnaar

Legend
Check 5e spells, I do not think that they get more powerful by caster level anymore. There is no +X damage per caster level or deals (XdY) damage per 3 caster levels. Any of the spells I can think of deal something like 6d6 damage plus 1d6 if you cast it as a higher level slot.

You can also have spells like see invisibility and spells dealing with lycanthropes. Maybe something that cures them?

I know that, 5E spells also tend to do more damage than 3.5 ones at least early on. I'm trying to work out where the base damage should be.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
First crack at an answer:

In 5th Edition D&D, the clerical Domains only give five levels of spells, but they give two spells per level.
For example: in the Starter Set, the Life Domain gives:
Level 1: Bless, Cure Wounds
Level 3: Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon
Level 5: Beacon of Hope, Revivify
Level 7: Death Ward, Guardian of Faith
Level 9: Mass Cure Wounds, Raise Dead

Any Moon Domain upgraded to 5E should follow the same pattern: 5 levels of two spells each.

I would start with the Trickery Domain and see whether any of those spells work for Moon.
1st Level: The 1st-level Trickery spells seem OK: Charm Person and Disguise Self fit in with the Enchantment and Illusion themes that fit well with the Moon.
3rd Level: Only Mirror Image seems fitting for the Moon Domain, as the Moon reflects the Sun's light. (Pass Without Trace isn't a Moonish thing IMHO.)
5th Level: Skip Blink; but Dispel Magic might be a worthy choice.
7th Level: Skip Dimension Door; but Polymorph might be a worthy choice.
9th Level: Skip Dominate Person; but Modify Memory might be a worth choice.

Moving along from those suggestions, I would of course include Moonbeam in this Domain; but it's a 2nd-level Druid spell. That won't work for this pattern, unless we force-fit it in as a 3rd-level Cleric spell. Yes, it should be in there; but No, it can't be a 2nd-level spell for Clerics of the Moon Domain, because they don't get explicitly 2nd-level Domain spells.

Cobbling various ideas together, I get this list:
1st Level: Disguise Self, Faerie Fire
3rd Level: Misty Step, Moonbeam
5th Level: Beacon of Hope, Modify Memory
7th Level: Freedom of Movement, Nondetection
9th Level: Shapechange, True Polymorph

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Let's do some word association...
Moon = night, stars, mystery, magic, illusion, sleep, dream, revelation...and concealment of those revelations (the phases), the tides/effect water, effect behavior/werewolves...

Soooo...hmmm...

Moon Domain Spells:
1st: Faerie Fire, Sleep
2nd: Invisibility, Moonbeam
3rd: Nondetection, Remove Curse
4th: Control Water, Divination
5th: Dream, Dispel Evil/Good

MechaPilot

Explorer
Moon = night, stars, mystery, magic, illusion, sleep, dream, revelation...and concealment of those revelations (the phases), the tides/effect water, effect behavior/werewolves...

Soooo...hmmm...

Moon Domain Spells:

The moon is also typically associated with madness, so Crown of Madness may be appropriate as well.

Zardnaar

Legend

Soooo...hmmm...

Moon Domain Spells:

Thats not to bad. One of my players suggested polymorph due to the lycanthropy thing.

Any ideas on a granted power?

Zardnaar

Legend
First crack at an answer:

In 5th Edition D&D, the clerical Domains only give five levels of spells, but they give two spells per level.
For example: in the Starter Set, the Life Domain gives:
Level 1: Bless, Cure Wounds
Level 3: Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon
Level 5: Beacon of Hope, Revivify
Level 7: Death Ward, Guardian of Faith
Level 9: Mass Cure Wounds, Raise Dead

Any Moon Domain upgraded to 5E should follow the same pattern: 5 levels of two spells each.

I would start with the Trickery Domain and see whether any of those spells work for Moon.
1st Level: The 1st-level Trickery spells seem OK: Charm Person and Disguise Self fit in with the Enchantment and Illusion themes that fit well with the Moon.
3rd Level: Only Mirror Image seems fitting for the Moon Domain, as the Moon reflects the Sun's light. (Pass Without Trace isn't a Moonish thing IMHO.)
5th Level: Skip Blink; but Dispel Magic might be a worthy choice.
7th Level: Skip Dimension Door; but Polymorph might be a worthy choice.
9th Level: Skip Dominate Person; but Modify Memory might be a worth choice.

Moving along from those suggestions, I would of course include Moonbeam in this Domain; but it's a 2nd-level Druid spell. That won't work for this pattern, unless we force-fit it in as a 3rd-level Cleric spell. Yes, it should be in there; but No, it can't be a 2nd-level spell for Clerics of the Moon Domain, because they don't get explicitly 2nd-level Domain spells.

Cobbling various ideas together, I get this list:
1st Level: Disguise Self, Faerie Fire
3rd Level: Misty Step, Moonbeam
5th Level: Beacon of Hope, Modify Memory
7th Level: Freedom of Movement, Nondetection
9th Level: Shapechange, True Polymorph

True I was using spell level.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Any ideas on a granted power?

ummmm...hm...not terribly familiar with the power levels of other 1st level domain abilities...

Off the top of my head, how about...

Bonus Proficiency: You gain proficiency with Stealth.

Night's Eye: You gain advantage on all rolls and saves against illusions and phantasmal magics. Additionally, you impose disadvantage to saves against any illusion or enchantment you cast.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases